Testing waters for restaurant in Nongbualamphu

Smurkster

Hey everyone

I currently live in Nong Bua Lamphu and have now for a little over a year. I like it, it is quiet, small and everyone is very friendly. A Tesco-Lotus has just opened up on the main highway that goes from Udon To Loei and I have noticed in the last few months an influx of falang men (maybe Udon is getting over run, I don't know!) Anyway, there is a small German bar in town and the owner is very nice and makes some nice German dishes and there is an Italian place with a Brick oven, called "Pinocchio Pizza" BUT there isn't a place to get burgers, maybe some sandwiches, Stews etc.

I am just trying to see who on the forum might live in the area and to get a show of whether or not they would personally be interested/patronize a western restaurant...

Love to hear what people think

(by the way I am American...for better or worse, so somethings I would have in mind would be like Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Chicken, Pork Chop and Applesauce, that kinda thing)

I have lived in small provincial towns like Kalasin and Mukdahan and it is very difficult to get the business for a farang restaurant especially if you are competing with two already. My advice would be to forget it and cook burgers for yourself when you crave one, as I do.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I can save you a whole lot of trouble.

Just give me the money you intend investing in this venture. At least I'll show my gratitude, which is a lot more than you'll get by opening a restaurant here.

If you have a burning desire to divest yourself of your hard-earned loot, going into the restaurant business is a sure-fire way of doing it.

• Like 1

I live some 40 kilometers west of NBL and would love to have a western restaurant offering American food nearby. Having said that I only brave the Highway of Death known as highway 210 on rare and necessary occasions.

I would kill for a good chicken fried steak, hamburger steak with mash potatoes or other such delicacy from time to time.

Unfortunately I have no idea whether or not a restaurant as you propose would prove profitable. I would eat there when I come to NBL but my once or perhaps twice monthly trips would hardly justify your opening a restaurant.

Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

yes and I was thinking the equipment doesn't need to be high tech, as you said a burner and an oven ( I already have two ovens in my place, I can just use the other) PLUS, I own the unit in the building that I want to start the restaurant in (well, of course it's my wife, but regardless). I also understand that in order to really have any success, you have to get some Thai customers too, which is something that the pizza restaurant Pinocchio is surprisingly good at capturing. In terms of what had been mentioned early about the need to really put in hard work in order to make it succeed (isn't that the credo with everything in life?), I'm still really young (25) so I have the energy to work on this and make it viable and sustainable from present to future,

Edited by Smurkster

Usually a good idea to do some "Number-Crunching" before. Also called "a Business-Plan".

- How many Farangs are there in your neighborhood? How often per week do they crave a burger? Multiply this by the NET-Profit per burger. Divided by fixed running cost, etc. More factors to consider, but this just for starters.

- Ask your GF/Wife how many Thai-Restaurants have opened and closed in your area in the last 12 months. (Gives you a "Buying-Power-Index" of Thai-Folks in the area).

If your projected income should be less than 300 Bht per day, your wife/Gf can earn the same amount by working at Tesco/Lotus.

At your age of 25, you are a long way off, collecting Retirement-Benefits (which you can not accumulate, while staying here, well understood.) So,unless you can land a smashing business-success in Thailand, you may end up as an English-Teacher or a Insurance-salesman in Pattaya, catering to Farangs-Insurance needs.biggrin.png

Of course, if a major inheritance in your home country will be coming your way, disregard the above, otherwise you may want to use a quiet moment to do some heavy thinking.

Cheers.

I can save you a whole lot of trouble.

Just give me the money you intend investing in this venture. At least I'll show my gratitude, which is a lot more than you'll get by opening a restaurant here.

If you have a burning desire to divest yourself of your hard-earned loot, going into the restaurant business is a sure-fire way of doing it.

Bs.

• Like 1