Locked files help

siampolee

I have a problem . On my external derive (1T.B) I have stored an enormous cache of music ( M.P.3. and FLAC format) along with an enormous cache of movies and assorted real Player downloads. Movies and downloads accessed in the past via VLC or Real time no problem as the computer was running X.P. .

Now enter windows 7 .

A lot of files are available Kingsoft document format as opposed to Microsoft all works well as does P.D.F. etc

But I can't access my music or movies etc. I do not want to lose the files if I can help it .

I've sought advice via the internet but nothing including perhaps my brain seems to work. Have any of you experts here any good simple advice please to assist me?

Plain simple language please I am from the abacus age as opposed the the telex / fax / IT. agesw00t.gif Hence the old grey matter takes time to evaluate and process all this new newfangled technology

Thanking you in advance in anticipation of a I.T. Mae West

I

As far as I know you can uninstall windows 7 and revert back to XP or Vista ----Google " How to uninstall windows 7 " --do that then save your files before updating again

--I expect you will get a more concise answer shortly from someone here of " higher knowledge " very soon--

---best of luck

Edited by Bucko
  • Like 1

Here's a video on how to take ownership of an external hard drive. This Video is demonstrating on Vista, but it's similar in Windows 7. It's also similar for folders and files.

There's also several registry hacks to add 'Take Ownership' to the right click menus for drives, folders and files. You can Google "take ownership" to find them. I prefer the standalone program "Right Click Extender V2.0" from The Windows Club.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 2

Here's a video on how to take ownership of an external hard drive. This Video is demonstrating on Vista, but it's similar in Windows 7. It's also similar for folders and files.

There's also several registry hacks to add 'Take Ownership' to the right click menus for drives, folders and files. You can Google "take ownership" to find them. I prefer the standalone program "Right Click Extender V2.0" from The Windows Club.

Take ownership over a hard drive you already own. Technology is fun.Lol.-w00t.gif

• Like 1

May be a dumb question, but do you have the Apps that can play these types of files?

I.e. Did you do a fresh Windows install?

Try installing VLC for Windows and choose "All" file types when asked for assocations.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Siampolee, your post is a bit confusing.

Your OP titles states 'locked files help', but the files are not locked (at least not 'locked' in the traditional sense of how windows works) but maybe lack an association between the file extension ( .xyz ) and an installed application capable of opening and acting on the file contents?

Before you do ANYTHING, can you please tell us the exact error message that you are getting on your Windows 7 computer?

1. What file extensions (ie: .mp3 .m4a .mpg .mov .ra .pdf etc) are you opening and receiving what response, or error message?

2. Kingsoft documents ... were these documents previously MS Office documents, but now show as Kingsoft Office documents, as you don't have MS Office installed?

And, as Chicog asked, have you installed applications to open these documents?

** No disrespect to any posters here, especially happynthailand, but downloading and installing any 3rd-party codec packs is just asking for trouble. If the media you downloaded won't play without downloading a 3rd-party 'codec' then you're better off looking for different download. I treat codec downloads the same as downloading .exe media files.

• Like 2

Many thanks to you all for the replies and the advice given.

The resident family expert is now at home ( youngest 14 year old son) and going by the exclamations and assorted grunts and other teenage noises emanating from him progress is being made.

Again thanks to you all.wai2.gif

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Why don't you install programs such as Microsoft office, then GOM and VLC player, all the newest versions and then check what's going on?

I always download movies, some just don't play with VLC, some don't play with GOM.

i don't believe that you've got locked files. Seems that you don't have the needed programs to use some files. Good luck.-wai2.gif