Corruption main cause of rice subsidy problems: NIDA survey

webfact

Corruption main cause of rice subsidy problems: NIDA survey
By Digital Content

13921886027478-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 12 – One-third of Thailand’s farmers pointed at corruption as the cause of the government’s failure to pay for the rice they sold under the state pledging scheme, according to an academic survey released today.

The National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) conducted the survey on “Farmers’ Perspectives on Rice Resolutions” among 1,250 sample respondents nationwide on Monday and Tuesday.

The Yingluck Shinawatra administration launched the rice subsidy programme two years ago and pledged to pay farmers Bt15,000 per tonne of rice.

Questioned on the reasons for the government’s failure to pay for their rice, nearly one on three—31.13 per cent—of farmers pinpointed corruption, 18.42 per cent blamed money shortages due to losses in rice trading, 18.36 per cent said the government lacked liquidity after its failure to sell the rice, 15.03 per cent said the caretaker government was restricted from borrowing from financial institutions, and 12.89 per cent cited other reasons such as protesters’ obstructing the government’s operations, the government’s administrative failure and its irresponsibility.

Who should be responsible for the government’s failure on overdue payments?

The highest percentage of 35.92 named the caretaker prime minister, followed by the Cabinet at 32.33 per cent, the commerce minister at 16.58 per cent, the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee at 9.85 per cent, the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives at 3.50 per cent, and other elements such as the Election Commission, the Agriculture Ministry and the new government at 0.14 per cent.

The majority of farmers, 36.72 per cent, asked the government to urgently sell rice from the state stockpiles to earn money to pay them; 28.88 per cent said the government should borrow to pay them; 22.64 per cent called on the government to resign; 3.60 per cent asked that their rice be returned; and 4.08 per cent offered other proposals including action against protesters who have obstructed the government’s administration and cooperation among all related agencies to assist farmers.

Regarding the rice pledging scheme, 43.04 per cent said it should be suspended, 34.4 per cent wanted the programme to continue with paddy price adjusted in accord with the global price, 18.24 per cent preferred the scheme to continue without any change, and 1.12 per cent said it should continue but the management and checking systems should be improved, or it could be replaced with a rice guarantee programme. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The highest percentage of 35.92 named the caretaker prime minister, followed by the Cabinet at 32.33 per cent, the commerce minister at 16.58 per cent, the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee at 9.85 per cent,

There will always be people with lower mental capabilities, in the Thai society.

Edited by metisdead
Font corrected.
  • Like 2

The highest percentage of 35.92 named the caretaker prime minister, followed by the Cabinet at 32.33 per cent, the commerce minister at 16.58 per cent, the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee at 9.85 per cent,

There will always be people with lower mental capabilities, in the Thai society.

Was that before or after Red Shirt Uber-Leader Dr. Weng told "his" red shirts that Suthep is to blame for the delay in payments?

• Like 1

Voting = Opinion

Not Facts.

OR

When we win the vote of the people it is a huge overwhelming majority of the population that want the PTP. And thats a fact.

When we don't win the vote of the people it does not count and is not facts.

Win win heay….

Not in the eyes of the NACC

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

People can always have their own opinion, right or wrong. No need to bash them because their opinion is different from yours.

Your comment is totally out of line.

My initial reaction was similar. But, then I considered the education system of Thailand, and decided not to make this type of post. You just can't blame farmers who owe whatever they have to what is now the PTP.

In just about every article I read about the rice pledge scheme, they find some farmer who blames Suthep or the protesters for their failed payment. The scheme was doomed to failure from the start, both on economic terms and given the likelihood of corruption. The government should just salvage as much money as they can from the stockpiled rice and admit that the taxpayers will be soaked for the rest. If they need a loan to bridge the payments, they should provide transparent accounting, so that a credible financial institution can support a business decision for the loan. Given the caretaker government status, and the lack of current accounts, it's no surprise the government can't find any financial institutions willing to extend credit.

Allow me to be more accurate, he did not speak about education level, but lower mental capabilities, that sure is offensive.

Regarding the rice pledging scheme, 43.04 per cent said it should be suspended, 34.4 per cent wanted the programme to continue with paddy price adjusted in accord with the global price

Since paying more than the global price is what the Rice Scheme is, then paying the global price and suspend the scheme are one and the same option. Therefore almost 80% are against the scheme.

Heckuva job Yingluck, tell us again how you are doing this for the farmers.

• Like 1

Voting = Opinion

Not Facts.

OR

When we win the vote of the people it is a huge overwhelming majority of the population that want the PTP. And thats a fact.

Win win heay….

In the UK, the PM got elected with around 20% of the total population voting for him.

Are you suggesting he should leave office? Maybe you should go block the streets of London if you don't understand how democracy works.

Or we could do it like North Korea and shoot everyone that doesn't go vote, if you want 100% of people to go vote.

If a ship runs aground you don't blame the cook.

• Like 1

Survey = opinion.

Not facts.

so you can oblige us with the real facts then sharon...will come back later to check what you have listed as 100% pure fact ok..

Who is Sharon?

And there are no facts, because it's a survey. Doh!

Who is Sharon?cheesy.gif

Well Shar..... I don't know about you but I generally react to my opinion of a situation! It may be a survey, but fact is it is the opinion of the surveyed that PTP are to blame, as opposed to Suthep or the EC or the tooth fair for that matter.

So it is a fact is it not?

• Like 1

Survey = opinion.

Not facts.

so you can oblige us with the real facts then sharon...will come back later to check what you have listed as 100% pure fact ok..

Who is Sharon?

Who is Sharon?cheesy.gif

Well Shar..... I don't know about you but I generally react to my opinion of a situation! It may be a survey, but fact is it is the opinion of the surveyed that PTP are to blame, as opposed to Suthep or the EC or the tooth fair for that matter.

Get my name right, then we can talk. Otherwise I will consider it trolling.

If a ship runs aground you don't blame the cook.

Why not - If his cooking has poisoned the rest of the crew ?

• Like 1

Voting = Opinion

Not Facts.

OR

Win win heay….

In the UK, the PM got elected with around 20% of the total population voting for him.

Are you suggesting he should leave office? Maybe you should go block the streets of London if you don't understand how democracy works.

Or we could do it like North Korea and shoot everyone that doesn't go vote, if you want 100% of people to go vote.

Great and I agree with everything you say above.

Now back to my point by referring to my post.

• When we win the vote of the people it is a huge overwhelming majority of the population that want the PTP. And thats a fact.

PTP won 43% of the vote. They won. I agree. djjamie agrees with you. 43% of the voters OPINION is that they think the PTP are the best choice at the ballot box. This is a fact too according to you. Cannot argue this.

• When we don't win the vote of the people it does not count and is not facts.

In this case the survey (the vote of the people) has highlighted that the majority of over 60% state yingluck or the PTP are to fault. Yet "these" peoples opinions don't count because it makes the PTP look bad.

Again your argument is flawed as the following is what you stated above in summary and is exactly the way the North Korea military and Kim treat its population. In summary you said "we" will believe your opinion if it favors the regime. "We" will denounce your opinion if it is not favorable to the regime. North Korea written all over it!

Your the 4th PTP supporter that I have pulled up on TVF that when arguing a point you finish up arguing for the very thing you purportedly denounce.

Remember that slow slide to defending a dictatorship? Your getting close.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Who is Sharon?

Who is Sharon?cheesy.gif

ahhhh are we upset? won't you come out to play any more!

• Like 1

I stumbled across this interesting website which talks about the various government schemes and the backgrounds to them. Corruption is frequently mentioned and (no surprises here) linked to just about every scheme undertaken by the Thai government including the rice pledging scheme.

http://altthainews.blogspot.com/2014/02/thaksins-war-on-99-continues-this-time.html

From the results of the NIDA survey it seems to me that the majority of the farmers are not the poor uneducated people they are made out to be. They seem to be well aware of the governments role in the failure of the rice pledging scheme.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Funniest thing I have read in weeks ..............fabio could not have put it better himself !

Define irony - a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash