Honest Thai taxi driver impresses Japanese tourist

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all taxi drivers here are bad. I've sat in a few where they're just rubbish but for the most part, they do their job well and get you from A to B with no problems whatsoever. It's not surprising you read a lot of stories about them returning left behind items and money to the owners.

• Like 1

150,000 baht... That's 4,286 short-trip taxi fares at the minimum of 35 baht per fare, or one fare every single day for 11 years and 9 months. (Puts away calculator.) He's going to have to pick up a lot of extra fares to make up for the loss of this potential "windfall", but perhaps the good karma gained will make it all worthwhile! By the way, does anyone know if they are EVER going to increase the minimum fare from 35 baht? That is ridiculously cheap considering it sometimes seems you can travel about 1 mile before it goes up to 37 baht! I think 50 baht would be very reasonable and would give taxi drivers a better income.

Edited by FalangBaa
  • Like 1

This is rare, if true. I have never ever had a taxi driver return anything I lost. In fact, 99% of the taxi cab drivers would keep the money and throw away the wallet. it is foolish to even think that honesty and returning lost goods is the norm here in Thailand. If people think they can get away with it, or if they feel they are not being watched, they will do dishonest things!

Hell, look at the damn government for Christ's sake!!!!!

• Like 1

Should we be impressed that there are honest people in Thailand, or is this assumed to be remarkable?

What a sorry state of judgment.

FK ME.. There are honest people.

It's about time people woke up and realised that most people in the world are honest, as are most Thais!

-m.

No-one is asking you to be impressed by anything. The report is simply about an incident that some people are happy to read about, if it isn't to your liking, hard cheese.

150,000 baht... That's 4,286 short-trip taxi fares at the minimum of 35 baht per fare, or one fare every single day for 11 years and 9 months. (Puts away calculator.) He's going to have to pick up a lot of extra fares to make up for the loss of this potential "windfall", but perhaps the good karma gained will make it all worthwhile! By the way, does anyone know if they are EVER going to increase the minimum fare from 35 baht? That is ridiculously cheap considering it sometimes seems you can travel about 1 mile before it goes up to 37 baht! I think 50 baht would be very reasonable and would give taxi drivers a better income.

There was no loss, he made 18,000 baht from that trip.

Should we be impressed that there are honest people in Thailand, or is this assumed to be remarkable?

What a sorry state of judgment.

FK ME.. There are honest people.

It's about time people woke up and realised that most people in the world are honest, as are most Thais!

-m.

No-one is asking you to be impressed by anything. The report is simply about an incident that some people are happy to read about, if it isn't to your liking, hard cheese.

An incident you are happy to read about, which should normally be a daily occurence not needing to be reported as major news. You must live in an untrusted world of self-opinion, and If this report is to your liking then it is your cheese that is hard, and not mine.

• Like 1

They publish one of these stories every 6 months.

What they don't mention is the 5000 cases in between these "Honest Driver" stories that did not return the 100k THB left in the back of cabs.

Thainess......

Yes, because 10,000 people a year leave approx. $5,000 in Taxis around Thailand, let alone the entire world. facepalm.gif

People are people.There are honest people everywhere.I'm A believer that if you,lose something and an honest person finds it and gets it back to you.Then you should reward the person at least 10% of whatever the contents are worth?Your rewarding the person.At the same time your punishing yourself,remembering you'll be more careful in the future.

It's not always propaganda: I lost my passport somewhere in Sukhumvit. The person who found it took it to the police who returned it to me. They went to quite some trouble. Of course I gave them a small gift in thanks. Unfortunately the person who returned it didn't give a name...just a good person like you find every day of your life ( the bad ones get the publicity)

• Like 1