PDRC willing to end protest if govt quits in place of interim 'reform' administration

Lite Beer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suthep has got tired, most of his followers left him, his "guards" are expensive and shot too many people, his friends in the army can't help him, he fears arrest, most people want to vote, he has no clue how to make the things move on... It's time for negotiation indeed...

Poor old miserable man... sleep.png

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What! Wait until the farmers come in these guys have had it up to their ears, and are really angry.

A word of advice, don't use a position of ignorance as a justification to make definite statements.

Just because you don't know what the reforms the PDRC has propossed doesn't mean that they have never detailed them.

Here's a summary

Those 6 points will take 20 years at least to implement, not 18 months.

And where is the referendum that shows Thais want these or those reforms?

A referendum rolleyes.gif

Do you find any of those points detrimental to the country? Or you don't want to see an electoral system free of vote buying, measures to end corruption, decentralized provincial power, etc, etc...?

By the way, you forgot to say "Sorry, I was wrong"

An electorial system free from vote buying, it should also include a limit on political controbutions ,so no one one can buy a candidate, It should only allow all candidates equal time on TV and radio, to not give the rich a advantage over other candidates, it should also show the amount of campaign contributions of all candidates and from who.

It should also investigate why the Thai military has as many General officers as does the USA which is by far a larger military force, and the damage this does to the defence budget of Thailand so much money being paid to general officers wages, has a negative efect on national security, in contrast a few years ago the Australian army only had 17 general officers, Thailand has in excess of 400+, not counting lesser high ranking officers.

many areas need to be refomed, for the good of the country.

Cheers

• Like 2

What does this Suthep idiot believe that the elected PM Yingluck also elected by the majority of her elected party members to lead the party and the country, who did not step down when Suthep claimed to have 6 million turn out for his rally now that he has a few thousand, exspects her to step down, don't hold you breath fat man!

cheers

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 2

A referendum rolleyes.gif

Do you find any of those points detrimental to the country? Or you don't want to see an electoral system free of vote buying, measures to end corruption, decentralized provincial power, etc, etc...?

By the way, you forgot to say "Sorry, I was wrong"

An electorial system free from vote buying, it should also include a limit on political controbutions ,so no one one can buy a candidate, It should only allow all candidates equal time on TV and radio, to not give the rich a advantage over other candidates, it should also show the amount of campaign contributions of all candidates and from who.

It should also investigate why the Thai military has as many General officers as does the USA which is by far a larger military force, and the damage this does to the defence budget of Thailand so much money being paid to general officers wages, has a negative efect on national security, in contrast a few years ago the Australian army only had 17 general officers, Thailand has in excess of 400+, not counting lesser high ranking officers.

Cheers

I agree with all of that, many areas need reforms, but as long as Thailand remains a subsidiary of Shin Corp, I don't expect any progress.

Cheers

Not true, the USA is limited by its own laws to 652 flag officer (generals and admirals) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/526, not counting a certain number of joint duty and reserve officers. Currently the number is well under 1000 http://www.g2mil.com/tenured.htm. According to news sources Thailand has 1750 flag officers http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-011013.html. Oh wait, your point was that Thailand's military was top-heavy with brass. Yeah, it does seem that way, doesn't it?

What "national reform", Mr. Suthep?

In all these months, you have NEVER detailed what those reforms would be.

How about a referendum first to ask the Thai people if they even want these unknown reforms?

A word of advice, don't use a position of ignorance as a justification to make definite statements.

Just because you don't know what the reforms the PDRC has propossed doesn't mean that they have never detailed them.

Here's a summary

First you make an idiotic statement that there are no reform plans in place. When someone posts them, instead of shutting up or admitting that you're wrong as usual, you insist they'll take too long to implement. Sometimes, just keeping quiet and fading away is better then getting in the last word. rolleyes.gif

How about a referendum first to ask the Thai people if they even want these unknown reforms?

Here's a summary

All excellent ideas, but leaving aside the fact that the government should only be removed by elections or the courts after due process, and that the current constitution was written by a military junta that was very keen on not reforming the military, I'll point out that these fine points are lacking in details.

Vote buying and corruption are already illegal, how will they be prevented?

Assuming the military will tolerate being purged of corruption (bets anyone?), will it allow the constitution it had written to be rewritten to decentralize power?

"police reform", "bureaucracy reform" and "Solving the problems..." are pretty vague, what reforms and how will the problems be solved?

Most important, who decides on the reforms and how they are implemented? Thailand could have an election for a government to...oh yeah, Suthep won't go along with elections until after vague reforms by unnamed people.

• Like 1

Suthep can't even fill Silom at night anymore. No wonder he wants to make a deal now.

BgXJuEHCMAEBP6V.jpg

Timing is everything!

Quit whilst you are ahead. ( when was that------------remind me)

Gotta act quick now. Once the last ones are gone he can't get good conditions anymore for his surrender.

First you make an idiotic statement that there are no reform plans in place. When someone posts them, instead of shutting up or admitting that you're wrong as usual, you insist they'll take too long to implement. Sometimes, just keeping quiet and fading away is better then getting in the last word. rolleyes.gif

Why do you feel the need to insult others with "idiotic" and "shutting up" every time?

These 6 points are not a reform plan, they are 6 generalizations that are impossible to implement in 18 months and everyone knows that.

"Effective measures to end corruption" - what measures? It's just another sentence of saying "I will end corruption", nothing more.

Corruption exists in Thailand across so many different sectors, it's impossible to "end corruption" in 18 months. There are corrupt teachers, corrupt police, corrupt taxi drivers, corrupt customs officials, corrupt army generals, corrupt politicians, corrupt bureaucrats and so much more.

Are you honestly telling me that Suthep will be able to "end corruption" in 18 months?

You cannot end corruption. It exists in the US, in the UK, in Germany, in France, etc. None of these countries claim to be corruption free, but they are less corrupt than others say Nigeria or Venezuela. Suthep will make Thailand become the first country with no corruption? If not, why is he preaching it? Because his followers will then expect it to happen and if it doesn't, that's already a promise he cannot keep. If my neighbor pays 1000 Baht to a customs official and that official takes it, then corruption already happened. You see, it's not possible to END corruption. So basically, the whole reform plan is already built on a broken promise.

Then we go over to "A bureaucracy reform" - great, another broad generalization. Does he mean certain (selective) bureaucracy, or completely and absolutely every aspect in bureaucracy from the process of issuing document stamps, over what information is needed when filing land forms to how divorce papers are handled?

Are you telling me that in 18 months, suddenly every Thai Immigration officer will stick to the actual Immigration rules? Most of them don't even know the rules and make them up as they go. But Suthep will fix it in 18 months, sure.

And don't even get me started with "solving the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport". The vast majority of this country doesn't even know the traffic laws, so how do you expect to fix the biggest transport issues this country is facing - which is proper driving. In 18 months, suddenly every Thai will know all traffic rules and most importantly, stick to them. Yeah right.

The 6 points he is talking about are basically talking about completely restructuring the Thai society, however it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to achieve that in 18 months. European and American nations who have gone through the same thing have taken dozens if not hundreds of years to get where they are.

Go show this "reform plan" to any Western politician who has an actual education and tell him you want to complete it in 18 months. He will likely roll around the floor laughing.

And if he magically can, why didn't he do it during the 32 months he was in office with Abhisit? He couldn't do it in 32 months with an absolutely majority in parliament, what makes him think that he can now do it in 18 months?

You see, you keep complaining about Puea Thai's populist policies, yet you are falling for the biggest populist policy of them all, which is Suthep's reform plan.

Edited by ShannonT
  • Like 2

Why do you feel the need to insult others with "idiotic" and "shutting up" every time?

These 6 points are not a reform plan, they are 6 generalizations that are impossible to implement in 18 months and everyone knows that.

"Effective measures to end corruption" - what measures? It's just another sentence of saying "I will end corruption", nothing more.

Corruption exists in Thailand across so many different sectors, it's impossible to "end corruption" in 18 months. There are corrupt teachers, corrupt police, corrupt taxi drivers, corrupt customs officials, corrupt army generals, corrupt politicians, corrupt bureaucrats and so much more.

Are you honestly telling me that Suthep will be able to "end corruption" in 18 months?

You cannot end corruption. It exists in the US, in the UK, in Germany, in France, etc. None of these countries claim to be corruption free, but they are less corrupt than others say Nigeria or Venezuela. Suthep will make Thailand become the first country with no corruption? If not, why is he preaching it? Because his followers will then expect it to happen and if it doesn't, that's already a promise he cannot keep. If my neighbor pays 1000 Baht to a customs official and that official takes it, then corruption already happened. You see, it's not possible to END corruption. So basically, the whole reform plan is already built on a broken promise.

Then we go over to "A bureaucracy reform" - great, another broad generalization. Does he mean certain (selective) bureaucracy, or completely and absolutely every aspect in bureaucracy from the process of issuing document stamps, over what information is needed when filing land forms to how divorce papers are handled?

Are you telling me that in 18 months, suddenly every Thai Immigration officer will stick to the actual Immigration rules? Most of them don't even know the rules and make them up as they go. But Suthep will fix it in 18 months, sure.

And don't even get me started with "solving the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport". The vast majority of this country doesn't even know the traffic laws, so how do you expect to fix the biggest transport issues this country is facing - which is proper driving. In 18 months, suddenly every Thai will know all traffic rules and most importantly, stick to them. Yeah right.

The 6 points he is talking about are basically talking about completely restructuring the Thai society, however it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to achieve that in 18 months. European and American nations who have gone through the same thing have taken dozens if not hundreds of years to get where they are.

Go show this "reform plan" to any Western politician who has an actual education and tell him you want to complete it in 18 months. He will likely roll around the floor laughing.

And if he magically can, why didn't he do it during the 32 months he was in office with Abhisit? He couldn't do it in 32 months with an absolutely majority in parliament, what makes him think that he can now do it in 18 months?

You see, you keep complaining about Puea Thai's populist policies, yet you are falling for the biggest populist policy of them all, which is Suthep's reform plan.

Wrong but still insisting on getting in the last word I see! clap2.gif

Wrong but still insisting on getting in the last word I see! clap2.gif

Nice, a worthless one-line reply. Not even an apology for your insults. I expected better from you, but anyways ...

Looks like you agree with my statement even though you deny it. And deep down you know I am right.

And by the way, nobody will ever have the last word as long as this discussion forum exists. It's kind of against the point of a discussion forum, someone having the last word. But that's not what this topic is about.

So let's see you explain as to why you think my argument is wrong. I'd really like to see you write an equally explanatory answer.

Edited by ShannonT

Here's a summary

I was hoping those were links that further explained these reforms rather than all links to the same text.

"A bureaucaracy reform" - how detailed.

Anyway

Point 1: An electoral system free from vote buying - Democrats guilty of that too.

Point 2: Effective measures to end corruption - Democrats guilty of that too.

Point 3: People should have the power to remove politicians and administrative power should be decentralised by electing provincial governors - Needs far more explanation, otherwise it's just a soundbite.

Point 4: A police reform, so that the police force would "truly belong to the people" and perform their duties under the command of the elected governor of their respective province - Needs far, far, far more explanation, otherwise it's just a nice meaningless soundbite.

Point 5: A bureaucracy reform - Needs any explanation at all, an absolutely meaningless soundbite.

Point 6: Solving the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport, an economic system free of monopoly. Investment in transport infrastructure as answer to the country’s needs, not to politicians’. - What? So basically what any goverment including the current says they are aiming to do? besides maybe saying that investment in transport infrastructure is an answer to the country's needs.

Oh but they mean it not suiting politicians, Ok - Wasn't there some fiasco regarding the skytrain and a certain democrat politician? Pretty hilarious.

Which brings me to the next point, why haven't the democrats explained in more detail these reforms as part of a manifesto to maybe, oh I dunno, try to get democratically elected?

The only way this crowd can get into power is through undemocratic means.

They want to rule in an undemocratic fashion.

This has nothing to do with reform for the people and everything to do with getting into power by bypassing the vote of the people.

These people are anti-democracy.

Suthep can't even fill Silom at night anymore. No wonder he wants to make a deal now.

BgXJuEHCMAEBP6V.jpg

Timing is everything!

Quit whilst you are ahead. ( when was that------------remind me)

Gotta act quick now. Once the last ones are gone he can't get good conditions anymore for his surrender.

This photo must be taken around 3am, when most people were asleep in their tents.

But I went there at 8pm, there was so many people, I can hardly breath.

Nice, a worthless one-line reply. Not even an apology for your insults. I expected better from you, but anyways ...

Looks like you agree with my statement even though you deny it. And deep down you know I am right.

And by the way, nobody will ever have the last word as long as this discussion forum exists. It's kind of against the point of a discussion forum, someone having the last word. But that's not what this topic is about.

So let's see you explain as to why you think my argument is wrong. I'd really like to see you write an equally explanatory answer.

Actually I do not agree with what you wrote. While it's difficult to achieve it in 18 months, it's doable. For sure it's impossible to end corruption completely but if they really wanted to, they could lower it controllable levels. Your statement that it would take a complete restructuring of Thai society is hyperbole. It can be done but it won't be easy.

People like you say it's impossible not because you truly believe so but because you don't like the people trying to do it.

• Like 1

The fact that Thaksin is actually involved in these discussions through intermediaries should douse a lot of cold water on it for many. After all, he's the very reason the PDRC is on the streets. It is well nigh impossible that Thaksin would accept any arrangement where he doesn't remain in control. The courts are the appropriate channels for the path forward. This administration needs to account for itself through the law. And the law is equiped to deal with it in an expeditious manner. The law should have the final say, and not " brokered deals ".

Thaksin has never been in control, as you well know.

The law always has the final say in Thailand as you also know.