Thailand is on US Notorious Markets List

JLCrab

12 FEB 2014

Overview
Trademark counterfeiting and copyright piracy on a commercial scale cause significant financial losses for rights holders and legitimate businesses, undermine critical U.S. comparative advantages in innovation and creativity to the detriment of American workers, and can pose significant risks to consumer health and safety. The Notorious Markets List (“List”) identifies select online and physical marketplaces that reportedly engage in and facilitate substantial piracy and counterfeiting.
Thailand
Multiple markets throughout Thailand have been included in the 2013 List. Enforcement efforts – even in the targeted “Red Zone” markets of Pantip Plaza, Klong Thom, Saphan Lek and Baan Mor (Bangkok) – are largely ineffective. MBK Shopping Center (Bangkok), which has been the focus of attention by Thailand’s National IP Center for Enforcement, remains in the List because the overall situation has not improved.
Talad Nat on Wireless Road (Bangkok), which is located near the U.S. Embassy, is added to the List because authorities have not responded to repeated requests to address the open, persistent sale of counterfeit and pirated goods on the premises. Other Notorious Markets in Thailand include: Chatuchak, Sukhumvit Road and Patpong Market (Bangkok); Patong and Karon Beach (Phuket); IT City (Pataya); and the Rong Klua border market (Aranyaprathet).
P18
  • Like 1

The flip side is that someone could re-package the PHYSICAL MARKETPLACES Report (starting on page 12) as the Travel Guide to the Notorious Markets of the World.

I'll be honest. I'm wondering where a couple of the places in BKK are...

It would be interesting to see if the foot traffic increases as the report gets more exposure. And if the hits on the various torrent sites increase.

The foot traffic in every one of the aforementioned places is very very high

Every Thai knows there are knock offs and huge thefts of goods coming in from Cambodia and other Thai factories which are supposed to be making goods for LaCoste, Aeropostale, Izod, Nike, New Balance, there is no real reason to create a list as

Many markets do not have tags on the inside of their shirts, which is of course where a person generally finds the fabric content of anything, even tee shirts....

But, especially in Chaing Mai, they cut right through the tag, so you cannot tell is says cambodia,

In Pantip Plaza, I was testing a Gibson Les Paul, it was definetly a rosewood neck, and the action was great but the headstock looked a little bigger than normal, even though it said Made in USA and had a serial number,

I asked for a screw driver and took off the backplate, and lo and behold, no USA parts, and no dates, nada, nothing,

then the smiling clerk said, yes, China......I hate China........

every guitar store here has guitars for 3-6 times the US price, and are made in either China, or Korea....

I feel sorry for musicians here they are being raped worse than the ...... tourists.....

But, on the flip side, you can get decent to very good quality clothes here very cheaply, if you know how to shop.

I love Chatachuck, there are some very good items there, as there is in Union Mall, and other places,

but anyone who thinks they are buying authentic anythiing in Thailand or Laos, is not paying attention