Patong Bay's brown water is safe, says Phuket expert

webfact

As a visiting tourist, whether or not the sh*tty colour and sh*tty smell is dangerous or not, is actually not the point. Tourists normally expect 'world-class' resorts to have beautiful, blue sea, clean and clear and no smell of sh*t!

You do not see travel brochures full of photos of sh*t-brown sea - it would be rather difficult to sell the hotel rooms if they did......

So...... rather than trying to reassure everyone that the sea and smell is all ok, the authorities should be buying maxi-strength toilet fresheners and filtering out the .. er ... plankton.

Funny you should mention this Simon.

I did just see a brochure ad for the new Amari Residences, with male / female romance type shot of them overlooking Patong Bay and guess what.............

Brown, nasty water.

I looked at some brochures also and the place looks nice. Pearly white sands, crystal clear water and hardly a person to be seen, you could have the whole beach to yourself. No rubbish, dogs, hawkers, or deck chairs.

post-122647-0-95093600-1392526785_thumb.

post-122647-0-12406500-1392526818_thumb.

post-122647-0-20414700-1392526841_thumb.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a visiting tourist, whether or not the sh*tty colour and sh*tty smell is dangerous or not, is actually not the point. Tourists normally expect 'world-class' resorts to have beautiful, blue sea, clean and clear and no smell of sh*t!

You do not see travel brochures full of photos of sh*t-brown sea - it would be rather difficult to sell the hotel rooms if they did......

So...... rather than trying to reassure everyone that the sea and smell is all ok, the authorities should be buying maxi-strength toilet fresheners and filtering out the .. er ... plankton.

Funny you should mention this Simon.

I did just see a brochure ad for the new Amari Residences, with male / female romance type shot of them overlooking Patong Bay and guess what.............

Brown, nasty water.

I looked at some brochures also and the place looks nice. Pearly white sands, crystal clear water and hardly a person to be seen, you could have the whole beach to yourself. No rubbish, dogs, hawkers, or deck chairs.

The pic on the right has got to be very old...Patong was once like this for sure...not now,,sad.png

"Patong Bay's brown water is safe, says Phuket expert"

A "phuket expert" says so, so it is true cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We asked this "expert" if he goes for a swim in Patong;

His answer: "Are you crazy?!? You think I'm going to swim in this sh*t"

Patong, Phuket and Lies are just synonymic words; it's all the same cr*p whistling.gif

My experience with the foreign gentleman landholders of Phuket is that once they've been scammed into signing on the dotted line and dropping a fair chunk of their retirement nest egg into the grasping mitts of some "realtor", they'll then yell and scream and froth and foam and, yea, swim and for the rest of their lives paddle their retired bloated selves around in diluted pewp.

Why ?? Well, to prove they've made a cracking shrewd decision to get in at the bottom of "The New Hawaii" they've scored for themselves, of course.

Edited by LivinginKata
off topic portion removed
  • Like 1

We visited Patong for 3 days at the end of January. First time since 1978. I was curious to see what it looked like after all that time. Didn't think I would swim. But I did. Every day and I was pleasntly surprised that the beach was still intact and relatively clean. The water was clear and did not stink at all. But I'll admit I only went to shoulder deep. We go back to LOS for a month almost every year and have been most of the seaside spots, so I know what I'm looking at.

The big difference is that you don't have the northern end to yourselves any more.

Edited by Baan Buakao

Despite its brown color and stench.. Dear lord..

Also "“The brown color doesn’t mean the water is dirty,” he explained. “It’s due to the photosynthesis of plankton."

And what is it the plankton are feeding on ?? Couldnt be high levels of what we would consider 'dirty' then ??

"And what is it the plankton are feeding on ?? Couldnt be high levels of what we would consider 'dirty' then ??"

No, it couldn't.

The answer was in your own post. Plankton that photosynthesise are plants and they obtain nourishment or energy from photosynthesis. They don't "feed".

Of course plants feed..

Thirty years ago the name "Phuket" got a smirk for one silly reason.

Currently, Poo-get gets a smirk for many other reasons.

Constructing a "villa" on what was at one time a paradise is one thing but expecting protection from "brown organics" is another.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Thirty years ago the name "Phuket" got a smirk for one silly reason.

Currently, Poo-get gets a smirk for many other reasons.

Constructing a "villa" on what was at one time a paradise is one thing but expecting protection from "brown organics" is another.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Everyone wants the "villa in paradise" but no one wants the "brown organics."

You can't have one without the other on Phuket.

They will not put the money in to improve sewer treatment infastructure.

i don't think planktons would be serious to do their jobs near crowded places! smile.png that much seems the water poisiong them, than photosintetic issue.

by the way, try to swim a little bit far from the beach, you can also see this in the photo, i've done it so many times; you go further and you'll see and feel a fresh cold water under your feet, no smell, no nothing. why planktons are so courious to patong beach?! laugh.png i hate those boat and jet skies sad.png