Falang pub in Chiang mai

Maybole

I am in Chiang Mai at the moment. I cannot find a quiet pub to have a glass and a conversation. The Olde Bell is gone, the Queen Victoria has dissappeared, the UN Irish is too noisy, ditto the Red Lion.

Suggestions please.

The DOWNUNDER PUB is a very good bar/sports bar that shows racing/matches etc, and serves good "pub grub".On the right hand side of Loi Kroh road just before the "Iron Bridge"/Ping River. Always a friendly welcome and a good mix of people.Owner = Stewart.

• Like 2

The DOWNUNDER PUB is a very good bar/sports bar that shows racing/matches etc, and serves good "pub grub".On the right hand side of Loi Kroh road just before the "Iron Bridge"/Ping River. Always a friendly welcome and a good mix of people.Owner = Stewart.

Just follow loi Kroh over Chang Klan road? Past BK on your left etc?

Paangjang , Yes , down Loi Kroh Road , over Changklan Road then continue down Loi Kroh Road going between Burger King (there is a fantastic noodle joint at the front of it !) and between Mc Donalds. Downunder Pub is just before Charon Prathet Road and the "River restaurant".See Ping River and youve gone too far !.

• Like 1

Never been in it but walked by it often. Not a bit unusual for some one sitting by the window or outside smoking to say hello as I walk by. Seems very friendly to me. But I am not a European sports fan as most of them seem to be. If there is a match on they will have it playing. Also has a pool table. Can't say as to the condition of it.

The Olde Bell and Queen Vic unfortunately closed for the very reason you liked them......... they were quiet!

Check back the Olde Bell topic. Was not related to being quiet.

Whenever I went there it was just about empty. However, the old owner said the closure was due to the evil Chinese and their greed.

little pub called My Place halfway down Loi KROH Road American owner plenty of American

Australians and British and others good crac.

Good omelettes and paninis too. A bit pricey but good quality and value for money.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

wonder why number one bar lost its popularity,at one stage he had two bars each side of the road doing great business,few times i go past now,one is a and massage place and the main bar is always empty,strange.

There's a hard core of drinkers who still frequent the place, at least on the times I visit. They usually huddle their chairs around one of the tables at the front of the bar. A few faces are familiar to me. I'm sure a friendly approach would lead to an invitation to join their group.

wonder why number one bar lost its popularity,at one stage he had two bars each side of the road doing great business,few times i go past now,one is a and massage place and the main bar is always empty,strange.

Prices?

Lack of girls?

Although this is a chicken and egg thing; did customers stop coming because the girls left, or did the girls leave because not enough customers..

Theory: Due to opening the second place on the river (Chill Out) some of the experienced staff went overthere and may have caused a drop in staff numbers / experience that caused a drop in customers, which in turn caused a drop in staff, then it just spirals down from there.

Some of the long term staff also moved on, either to other bars or to move on in life (getting married, etc.) And there are no new arrivals to make up the numbers.

And I can tell you why I personally stopped going frequently, which was actually before the decline. ( But then I'm different from almost anyone else when it comes to bar preferences. My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen. And maybe some of the staff also left for similar reasons (being over-managed impacts staff even more of course), at least for the contingent who now work in different bars. ) Maybe I'll ask some of them and find out for sure.

A lot of foreign-managed bars suffer from over-management. Doesn't really work in this country and this industry.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen.

Is that a euphemism for "I couldn't take them home"?

If you ask me, the rent was probably too high to keep both places going.

• Like 1

"The Pub" on Huay Kaew Road, though it could be traffic city in that area at the weekend

What, the Darby and Joan Club?

biggrin.png

Is that a picture of Grahaeme in curlers as your avatar?

I often pop there for a little moan about the price of things and young people these days, etc. etc.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen.

Is that a euphemism for "I couldn't take them home"?

LOL, no. wink.png

If you ask me, the rent was probably too high to keep both places going.

I think they own the buildings they're currently in. (But perhaps not the old place across the soi that's now a health spa; not sure)

I've been using Loi Kroh as a cut through, and that's a great currency exchange "Super" or something. Please don't take off shoes.....Haven't been in in years, but Chiangmai Saloon has their moderate prices posted and they actually have a steady flow of customers. Number 1 was empty. One of the places on the corner of the boxing arena gets some regulars, but no promos. Gecko would be great, if they would simply serve fresh beer. Meanwhile, I'll do large Tigers out of my fridge for 51.25 thb each (Makro). 10 years ago; If you told me I would only go to Moon Mueng for the Dentist and Dermatologist, I would have never believed it. Cracking open a Tiger born on 4 Feb 2014, sheers!

• Like 1

Paangjang , Yes , down Loi Kroh Road , over Changklan Road then continue down Loi Kroh Road going between Burger King (there is a fantastic noodle joint at the front of it !) and between Mc Donalds. Downunder Pub is just before Charon Prathet Road and the "River restaurant".See Ping River and youve gone too far !.

Haven't been that way since Guitar Man shut (well went to the German place next to the RL last month, but no further down than that) - so this place on BK side of Mackies? The old GM place? what was that place opposite, Happy Beaver I think, there? Actually wonder what its like since the Downtown closed for that.

Some nice little places down the old wall road - Loy Kroh, turn left before the Meriden/Bantuang (the mud bank on the right was the original wall 700 years ago - or what's left of it) - little way down and there are a few small haunts. Also down Soi 2 across the road from LK, some nice little bars down that way too.

In LK too there is a nice place, on the right near Two Sisters (I think) - does nice food too that's quite good, know you're there because the bar has lots of foreign notes glued to the wall with greetings from visitors, and the walls, ceiling, furniture et al is likewise covered.

Also the Gheko bar too I suppose - LK, right at the Mai ping and walk to the main road, and its opposite (opposite Panthip and over sticky river - the canal - bridge)

• 4 weeks later...

The pub is a nice place to chill out and have a relaxing quite pint or 2 or 20.

Graham the owner is a nice guy, if he likes you. It`s now right opposite the new Maya shopping mall on the Huay Kaew Road. As some have mentioned it does seem to attract the older crowd, but it`s certainly worth a try. In my opinion it`s the closest thing to a real authentic English pub that you’re ever going to find in Chiang Mai.

There are some attractive waitresses in there, nice eye candy to enjoy while eating your meal or having a drink. Graham also has some very nice little chalets to stay the night.

Here is the website:
http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

The Red Lion is also very nice, but it`s more touristy than the the Pub.