best way to get from koh chang to sihanoukville. advise please

kranuan

i want to go from koh chang to sihanoukville, i dread staying an overnight in koh kong . what is the best way to get down to snv without having to stay in this depressing little town.

i would like to know if i left koh chang at around 6 am in morning could i have time to catch a bus in koh kong or at cambo border to take me on down the road to snv.

cheers

Edited by kranuan

There is a travel agent / mini bus stop in central Trat but sorry I don't know the address.

They can probably organize a bus ticket to get you from Trat (Sometimes also called Trad) to Sihanoukville by going mini bus to Koh Kong border crossing and then a coach to Sihanoukville from there.

I did that trip in reverse last November no problem so should be easy to arrange if you just find the right bus service in Trat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Koh Kong is a nice area although I agree that town itself is a bit drab. However, with Koh Kong located merely 100km from Trad, there is little reason why you'd only be able to travel that far in one day - even in Cambodia overland travel these days is relatively speedy, mainly due to the lack of traffic. Trad to Sihanoukville is therefore easily accomplished in about half a day.

I'd say catch an early van or songthaew from Trad to the border crossing at Hat Lek; since you're departing around 6am from Koh Chang, and will probably arrive in Trad before 8 this should be quite doable. Once on the Cambodian side, negotiate for a private taxi to Sihanoukville (the taxis are parked just after immigration and customs)...I'm not sure what the going rate is, but given the distance I'd start the bidding at around US$30-35, but you'll probably have to settle for around US$45-50 (this is for a private taxi). If you're willing to share, it should only be US$10-15 or so per seat. Otherwise, if you arrive early enough you'll have the opportunity to catch a bus from Koh Kong town - if I'm not mistaken there is a midday or 12.30pm bus to Sihanoukville which you could catch. Catch a moto for 100 Baht or a tuk tuk for US$7 or 200 Baht (negotiate this down if you can) into town and then purchase a bus ticket to Sihanoukville from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I few days ago I travel from Bangkok to Sihanoukville. I travel with bus via Trat. There are many things what is important to know. My experience you can read on (url link removed by Moderator, PM poster if interested)

Edited by Sheryl

• 3 months later...