Excellent Darkside Italian Restaurant

patsfangr

I must begin with my standard caveat. "Good food" is a matter of individual taste. OK. That's done.

I just dined for the second time at 'La Grotta'; which is located about 1.2 kms from it's intersection with Nernplubwarn Road (Soi Muslim). That intersection is about 1 km before the east end of Nernplubwarn, where the temple (Wat Suttawat) is located. Just turn right at that intersection (not quite a 4-way, as the left turn leading to the Aqua Deymie bar is few meters before the right turn onto the road that La Grotta is on.

I had the pizza tonight, and it is, for MY taste, the best on the Darkside. Excellent thin crust. Tasty tomato sauce. Plenty of quality mozarella cheese. The Italian sausage, which I had, is sliced, not bits of ground stuff like many places use.

A few days ago, I went there with my wife for the first test. For me, that's always a basic pasta dish, to check the most important element in Italian cooking - the red pasta sauce. My (Thai) wife prefers a pesto, so she tried that. We were both very happy with the quality of the sauces, and the 'al dente' texture of the pasta.

Please don't respond to this with a question or complaint about the prices. I am, I realize, more fortunate than many, in that my fixed income includes both USA Social Security, and a decent pension from my former employer, Boeing. I'm not rich, by any means; but I am more than happy to spend 300 - 400 baht on a meal and a couple of drinks. If you can't afford to go over 200 baht or so, don't go to this place. It's not for you.

But, if a total bin of 500-600 baht for you and your lady is within your means; and you like good Italian food; I strongly recommend 'La Grotta'. It's managed by a very nice lady named Lek. She and her Swiss boyfriend, whom I have not met, own the place. They open at about 16:00, and the stone pizza oven is ready to go shortly thereafter.

• Like 2

Nice report Pat but this place has been mentioned extensively on the "Dark Side" restaurant thread and several of the pattaya pizza threads. I suggest you refamilarize yourself with the Dark Side thread and post your valuable comments there. It helps to keep everything in one place and easy to find the latest news on Darkside dining by just reviewing the last few pages. Sorry to say but your location description is hopelessly garbled. Easiest to say its 4 km down NPW from Sukhumvit...and make a right at Mapilia Soi 28 (there's a 7-11 and Aqua Dymie would be to the left). Head straight up that 1.2 kilos or so and it's on the left. It directly in the corner shophouse that fronts Pattaya Paradise Village II.

The bits of "ground stuff" as you describe it is the more authentic Italian way to prepare a sausage pizza and if they use some sliced thing, it would put me off ordering this particular pie. I've had the plain, salami, and olive pizzas and they are very good. I would mention that it's not air conditioned so fine now but next month and after who knows.

I agree...La Grotta is a nice addition to the 'hood.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Nice report Pat but this place has been mentioned extensively on the "Dark Side" restaurant thread and several of the pattaya pizza threads. I suggest you refamilarize yourself with the Dark Side thread and post your valuable comments there. It helps to keep everything in one place and easy to find the latest news on Darkside dining by just reviewing the last few pages. Sorry to say but your location description is hopelessly garbled. Easiest to say its 4 km down NPW from Sukhumvit...and make a right at Mapilia Soi 28 (there's a 7-11 and Aqua Dymie would be to the left). Head straight up that 1.2 kilos or so and it's on the left. It directly in the corner shophouse that fronts Pattaya Paradise Village II.

The bits of "ground stuff" as you describe it is the more authentic Italian way to prepare a sausage pizza and if they use some sliced thing, it would put me off ordering this particular pie. I've had the plain, salami, and olive pizzas and they are very good. I would mention that it's not air conditioned so fine now but next month and after who knows.

Which thread are you referring to? There are several "Darkside" threads. What's the specific name of the restaurant thread you're suggesting?

Which thread are you referring to? There are several "Darkside" threads. What's the specific name of the restaurant thread you're suggesting?
This one here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/172786-the-dark-side/page-51?hl=%20true%20%20internet

This thread has over 1200 replies so is almost a time capsule of dining on the Darkside but up to date too If one perused the last 3-4 pages. You have to search the pattaya forum using "Dark Side restaurants" because the op used this unorthodox two word spelling to refer to the area. If you search using Darkside Restaurants you'll get a hopeless number of hits.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Hi, Patsfangr,

I am not responding with regard to prices, etc but WTFAYTA.

I can assume that your nick-name is an abbreviation of Pattaya farang. I came up with a few others too but I think the editor may well jump in and cut me down so will leave those out of this.

As your are a Super Member I do humble suggest to you from the lower orders that you state to which part of Thailand your recommendations apply.

• Like 1

This one here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/172786-the-dark-side/page-51?hl=%20true%20%20internet

This thread has over 1200 replies so is almost a time capsule of dining on the Darkside but up to date too If one perused the last 3-4 pages. You have to search the pattaya forum using "Dark Side restaurants" because the op used this unorthodox two word spelling to refer to the area. If you search using Darkside Restaurants you'll get a hopeless number of hits.

Do you ever give it a rest? You need to get out a bit more, you're all over this forum every day.

• Like 1

Hi, Patsfangr,

I am not responding with regard to prices, etc but WTFAYTA.

I can assume that your nick-name is an abbreviation of Pattaya farang. I came up with a few others too but I think the editor may well jump in and cut me down so will leave those out of this.

As your are a Super Member I do humble suggest to you from the lower orders that you state to which part of Thailand your recommendations apply.

Presume you are in (Hell) Pattaya and not God's Own Country... Chiang Mai?

Since it's posted in the Pattaya sub-forum I think there's a pretty good chance he's talking about pattaya. And the Darkside is a well known area for those that live in Pattaya (east of suk).

Do you ever give it a rest? You need to get out a bit more, you're all over this forum every day.

I'm disabled so my chances to go out are limited. But you have a nice day.

"" which is located about 1.2 kms from it's intersection with Nernplubwarn Road (Soi Muslim). That intersection is about 1 km before the east end of Nernplubwarn, where the temple (Wat Suttawat) is located. Just turn right at that intersection (not quite a 4-way, as the left turn leading to the Aqua Deymie bar is few meters before the right turn onto the road that La Grotta is on.""

cheesy.gif

I will thanks. Going to play Golf.

I will thanks. Going to play Golf.

What hadicap do you play off?

I don't venture out very much these days so thanks very much for the tip. I might give it a go.

As for posting too much, well, I fail to see how frequent posting can possibly offend anyone, unless the content of the posts is offensive - which it isn't.

So again thanks to both of you gents for the info.

I've just had a quick look at the 'Dark Side' thread which seems to deal with all matters 'Dark Side' as opposed to just writing about eateries. There used to be one dedicated to Dark Side restaurants and bars only, but I guess it has long since hit the Thai Visa dust...

In my humble opinion ... La Grotta has the best pizza I have tasted on the ten years I have lived here .... and it is a few hundred metres from my village! Conversely the meat dish I tried once was truly disgusting .... and even more annoying it was made with very good ingredients but abysmally cooked and sadly no offer of replacement or refund when I sent it back as inedible .... so my learned lesson was to stick to starters and the pizzas.....

OMG another Pizza & Pasta joint.

Don't you know that there is more to Italian food than just pizza & pasta. That is just crap that Americans feed to there kids when they are bored with burgers and hotdogs!

http://italianfood.about.com/od/favoriterecipes/u/classici.htm

Well snap my suspenders, you don't say? I didn't know that...thanks for the head's-up.