Transitioning from Teaching to ?

Kirbicus

I thought that General Topics would be a good place to post this topic as it would be seen more here than in the Teaching Forum.

Firstly, Over the next year I am wanting to do a transition from teaching to ?

My wife and family have a good solid business that they operate. It has been in operation for four years and it is quite successful. The average monthly earnings from it give us a comfortable lifestyle.

However, teaching over the years has provided extra income for business development, savings etc. I have had the odd term off and this is where a problem starts to occur.

Usually I am providing an income and other extra funds for family support, business support etc. However if I do have some time off occasionally then my wife starts to lose her face over time as I am not working and providing a monthly income. This is where finding something productive that I can do comes in to play.

I don't want to be a lounge around the home type of husband and don't do anything while they do all the work for the business.

Just recently I have been researching remote work on the internet. Yes there are a lot of scams out there and when you do type in review for a site you end up with complaints like " They sent me a lot of work but I never got paid." etc. Some sites can actually sound quite reasonable with lowish monthly incomes, no upfront fees and different methods of payment for the work done. Then again you always get complaints about that site etc.

I would be interested to make some extra cash over the internet. Not setting my sights to high.

Still researching the internet and avoiding scams and sites where you have to pay something up front I would like to know from readers if you have dealt with any legit sites that do pay you regularly and for what type of work.

I am mainly interested to do a transition out of teaching as to where I can still do something productive and get some extra cash for it.

If you are dealing with or have dealt with any legit sites I'd like to know.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put up here.

I am genuine about transitioning from teaching to something else.

I could probably get a work permit later via the business as the wife and I have a partnership.

Kirbicus

"Editing" academic essays - but usually means writing it for them, not ethical IMO.

Get your Thai language good enough and full translation work can pay even better than teaching, but it's feast or famine and you have to be ready to turn it around quickly. Do NOT take on "proofreading/editing" work, fixing others' translations, pay sucks even worse than teaching.

Learn webdev then coding, head home to schmooze with clients a few times a year.

• Like 1

Tutoring been there done that while full time teaching.

Students come and go and monthly income can be up or down depending on how many students you have for the month.

I know Tinglish very well from years of teaching it can be a piece of cake and then it can be frustrating getting the right word for the wrong word that was in the Tinglish writing piece. Hell had a comic book story that students were translating and it was one of the worst translations I have ever seen. The characters and plot were all over the place it took a couple of weeks to work it all out.

Besides looking at remote internet work other things that I do or am interested in are movies, keeping fish, permaculture, making 3d maps for a flight sim (no money in that all though people initially think so) it is just a 3d hobby and currently learning 3d modelling ( very beginnings with that)

Just interested in ways to earn around 1000 us a month nothing serious.

The teaching income in the north is as you are I'm sure aware quite low.

I was teaching, then last term I was told no funding now.

Like you, I wanted something to do.

Something to keep me busy and produce a little income.

Couldn't find any internet work I was comfortable with.

Being a farang, I couldn't own a business or farm anything.

So, now my Thai wife and daughter have a small mushroom farm.

It was inexpensive to start and not difficult to learn about.

It's a very clean operation, no soil, no manure.

It takes up very little room and is not very labor intensive once it is all set up.

However, you do need to be there twice each day or have a responsible person to check, water, and harvest for you in your absence.

It generates a some extra income and provides the family with a lot of delicious mushrooms.

The local folks love fresh mushrooms and sometimes even order ahead!

There is a lot of good information on growing mushrooms in Thailand on TV.

I really enjoy it.

If it interests you, check it out!

I have no photos of mine, but posted one I found on google.post-147745-0-84042300-1392522700_thumb.

Choke Dee

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

Avoid translation work. It's time consuming and not well paid.

If you have solid skills in BOTH sides so they don't need to pay an "editor" and work relatively quickly including fast typing, once you get up to speed on the software it's not bad for people used to working for teachers' wages in Thailand.

Both my friends doing this work from home (BKK based firm owned by the king of Sweden) and they average about 25 hours a week, sometimes it's 60, sometimes 10.

Works out to 800-1000 an hour when they resist their perfectionist tendencies, definitely not a business for that, pays for the volume not quality.

Free to turn down work if you're busy otherwise, but once you take a job you have to make the deadline. . .

• Like 2

For wym,

Did my PDC in Malanda Queensland Rene and Lorraine Van Raders Green Piece Permaculture Farm 1996.

For Willyumi,

The mushroom farm sounds interesting I have seen the mushroom packs recently at a school market in your picture.

How much area do you you need? We have a four story townhouse with a semi enclosed half story roof area. There is power and water avalible in this area too. Very close to a market 2 minutes away.

also for wym's last post meeting deadlines is not a problem considering you have to meet mid term, end of term tests and points deadlines.

It takes up very little room and is not very labor intensive once it is all set up.

However, you do need to be there twice each day or have a responsible person to check, water, and harvest for you in your absence.

It generates a some extra income and provides the family with a lot of delicious mushrooms.

I really enjoy it.

I have no photos of mine, but posted one I found on google.attachicon.gif266387083-23453tyhdffsafsgdhn.jpg

Choke Dee

I bought one of these plastic mushroom bottle thingy once, the woman told me to spray the mushroom twice a day, but it died within 4/5 days !

I started article writing whilst teaching last year, the money varies but there is a steady flow of work.

It's also possible to start your own little business where you can sub-contract the work to other writers and make money from an almost passive activity.

pm me if you'd like details.

For chonabot,

Check your pm.

Probably a better solution considering we have a townhouse with not much land to play with.

Was thinking of turning roof top area into a hydroponics set up (not for income but just for home vegies and Thai cooking herbs.

For chonabot,

Check your pm.

Probably a better solution considering we have a townhouse with not much land to play with.

Was thinking of turning roof top area into a hydroponics set up (not for income but just for home vegies and Thai cooking herbs.

I made the transition from teaching to my current job by being in the right place at the right time and going the extra yard for one of my clients. By helping him out without asking for extra money I laid a cornerstone which, 8 months later brought a job offer which quadrupled my salary overnight.

• Like 2

I made the transition from teaching to my current job by being in the right place at the right time and going the extra yard for one of my clients. By helping him out without asking for extra money I laid a cornerstone which, 8 months later brought a job offer which quadrupled my salary overnight.

what job is that ?

(keep details private if you wish)

I really enjoy it.

I have no photos of mine, but posted one I found on google.attachicon.gif266387083-23453tyhdffsafsgdhn.jpg

Choke Dee

My family gave this up as "too much work, not enough return" typical Issan

Try www.odesk.com, as long as you are doing hourly work they guarantee your pay, these are typically long-term jobs. For work you bid on you set the upfront percentage and arrange payments for the duration of the work, this is typically short-term one day to two week jobs. Anyway, have a look. I have a full time job through www.odesk.com and pick up odds and ends as well. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Lovely town Cairns, based a six-month exploration trip there out of '72 combi campervan.

I think that's where I first went bamboo too, seemed more of an Asian city than farang - and I mean that as a compliment.