Sunday roast

neilf

The Coins Soi Bukaow ( not 18 coins run by the staff of The old 18 coins) does a lovely Sunday Roast normally chicken and beef combo. Mash yorkshire roast spuds lots of peas and carrots gravy plus a boat of gravy only 155 baht!!! Found The coins impossible to beat! The only thing that did was a pint of Guinness in Maggie Mays! Lol

. A Great Restaurant for Value and Quality, Staff is Great Now, They have a Great Burger at a Great Price and Good for 145 baht, The Place to go in Patts...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Today I thought I would try somewhere different that I spotted a couple of weeks ago.

It's called the Shakespeare and is situated very close to the Starlight Bar. The location is on Street View but the picture is old and does not show the place as it is now.

https://goo.gl/maps/TQwCU

The sign outside says Sunday Roast (pork or chicken, vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, mash, roast potatoes, gravy) for 129B. This compares with the Starlight Bar that does something very similar for 150B. Other places within a few hundred yards charge between 150-250 for a roast, which most of them seem to do on Sundays. A large Leo was 65B.

They also advertised apple crumble and custard for 50B which I did not try but probably should have.

Service was polite and prompt. The beer was cold.

When I got my plate I noticed that it had no Yorkshire pudding so I asked the owner if I should have one. "Yes, but the oven is broken" he said, "we should cross it off the sign".

Well yes mate, you should.

Other places I have been to at least have the courtesy to point out if something is "off" as you order it and I was annoyed that this place didn't bother. Someone else came in as I was eating and asked if Yorkshires were "on" today, which implies that they have been "off" for some time.

The owner then went on to bemoan the lack of customers, and I was tempted to point out that if he provided what he advertised more people might come back or recommend his place to others. But I left him to work that one out for himself.

Anyway, apart from the missing pud the rest of the meal was good and the vegetables were correctly cooked (good veg especially cabbage is what I like best about Sunday lunch) and the gravy was tasty. I had pork (loin) but got no apple sauce or crackling with it. I wasnt really expecting either at that price.

So I would try it again but would ask whether Yorkshires were on or off before sitting down. If off I would just cross the road and go to the Starlight which is very similar in many respects and which should also be tried.

Today I thought I would try somewhere different that I spotted a couple of weeks ago.

It's called the Shakespeare and is situated very close to the Starlight Bar. The location is on Street View but the picture is old and does not show the place as it is now.

The sign outside says Sunday Roast (pork or chicken, vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, mash, roast potatoes, gravy) for 129B. This compares with the Starlight Bar that does something very similar for 150B. Other places within a few hundred yards charge between 150-250 for a roast, which most of them seem to do on Sundays. A large Leo was 65B.

They also advertised apple crumble and custard for 50B which I did not try but probably should have.

When I got my plate I noticed that it had no Yorkshire pudding so I asked the owner if I should have one. "Yes, but the oven is broken" he said, "we should cross it off the sign".

Other places I have been to at least have the courtesy to point out if something is "off" as you order it and I was annoyed that this place didn't bother. Someone else came in as I was eating and asked if Yorkshires were "on" today, which implies that they have been "off" for some time.

The owner then went on to bemoan the lack of customers, and I was tempted to point out that if he provided what he advertised more people might come back or recommend his place to others. But I left him to work that one out for himself.

Anyway, apart from the missing pud the rest of the meal was good and the vegetables were correctly cooked (good veg especially cabbage is what I like best about Sunday lunch) and the gravy was tasty. I had pork (loin) but got no apple sauce or crackling with it. I wasnt really expecting either at that price.

So I would try it again but would ask whether Yorkshires were on or off before sitting down. If off I would just cross the road and go to the Starlight which is very similar in many respects and which should also be tried.

I do like your reviews Kitten Kong. I find them informative and invariably well balanced and fair.

Usually Jameson's triple roast for me every few weeks. 370thb for a big helping of beef,lamb, pork, crackling and the works including cauliflower cheese on the side

I couldn't eat all of that but the pork with crackling and also the cauliflower cheese (which I love) sound great.

beggars the question that if the oven is broken how did they roast the potatoes, pork with crackling ?.... Was it a Sunday Roast if the oven was broken?

beggars the question that if the oven is broken how did they roast the potatoes, pork with crackling ?.... Was it a Sunday Roast if the oven was broken?

I also wondered about that. Apparently their electric oven was not hot enough to make good Yorkshires and the gas one they generally use was broken.

It's true that you do need a hot oven to do them properly whereas potatoes and pork loin (no crackling on that by the way) can be done perfectly well in a cooler oven.

For me the important thing was that they didnt warn me that I wouldn't be getting one.

I also went to Robin's Nest on Soi Diana (not the same day!).

Buffet style. 275B for 6 meat dishes, Yorkshires, vegetables, soup, gravy, bread rolls. Ice cream included for dessert (I didnt bother).

The soup was potato and leek and tasted OK. Perhaps a bit more leek and a bit less potato would have been better. Gravy was OK but a bit thin, and fried onions were one of the vegetables so a combination of the two made a sort of onion gravy. If they made the gravy with the onions it would be better still.

Vegetables (peas, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, mashed and roast potatoes - no sprouts) were all good and hot, and not overcooked. Only the mash looked a bit odd and I didnt try it. Yorkshires were hot and crispy but on the day I went they were very well cooked indeed, to the point of being nearly black in places. Tasted OK though. Some watery horseradish sauce was available, as was some bought-in apple sauce.

In the meat section were sliced beef, sliced pork and I think some sort of sliced ham all sitting in hot water. These were not wonderful and I just tried one slice of pork.This is similar to Jolly's where they also keep the meat in water, but not pre-sliced. I dont think putting roast meat in hot water works very well and it ends up looking and tasting broiled rather than roasted. No crackling.

But there was also a tray of roast chicken thighs, and pigs in blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon), and shepherds pie (looked much nicer than the dish of mash), all of which were tasty and had good texture. Shepherds pie was nearly too salty on the day I went, but the gravy and veg sorted that out.

Water was about 40B and the whole meal was quite acceptable, but probably not for someone who really wants properly roasted meats and crackling for his Sunday lunch.

I also went to Robin's Nest on Soi Diana (not the same day!).

Buffet style. 275B for 6 meat dishes, Yorkshires, vegetables, soup, gravy, bread rolls. Ice cream included for dessert (I didnt bother).

The soup was potato and leek and tasted OK. Perhaps a bit more leek and a bit less potato would have been better. Gravy was OK but a bit thin, and fried onions were one of the vegetables so a combination of the two made a sort of onion gravy. If they made the gravy with the onions it would be better still.

Vegetables (peas, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, mashed and roast potatoes - no sprouts) were all good and hot, and not overcooked. Only the mash looked a bit odd and I didnt try it. Yorkshires were hot and crispy but on the day I went they were very well cooked indeed, to the point of being nearly black in places. Tasted OK though. Some watery horseradish sauce was available, as was some bought-in apple sauce.

In the meat section were sliced beef, sliced pork and I think some sort of sliced ham all sitting in hot water. These were not wonderful and I just tried one slice of pork.This is similar to Jolly's where they also keep the meat in water, but not pre-sliced. I dont think putting roast meat in hot water works very well and it ends up looking and tasting broiled rather than roasted. No crackling.

But there was also a tray of roast chicken thighs, and pigs in blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon), and shepherds pie (looked much nicer than the dish of mash), all of which were tasty and had good texture. Shepherds pie was nearly too salty on the day I went, but the gravy and veg sorted that out.

Water was about 40B and the whole meal was quite acceptable, but probably not for someone who really wants properly roasted meats and crackling for his Sunday lunch.

Sounds reasonable for the amount you get but if the quality is not there then Id rather not bother, as I say Jollys was highly recommended but on my 1st experience with it, I was disappointed with nearly all of it. Cold veg is a big no-no

Sounds reasonable for the amount you get but if the quality is not there then Id rather not bother, as I say Jollys was highly recommended but on my 1st experience with it, I was disappointed with nearly all of it. Cold veg is a big no-no

The quality at Robin's Nest was there, for the price. Just a few of the items were a bit disappointing and none of it was cold.

When I've looked at it the veg at Jolly's has always appeared to be OK and steaming. Maybe it varies? I think that they had sprouts the last time I looked, which is a nice thing to find in a fairly cheap buffet. I suppose I should try it.

The quality at Robin's Nest was there, for the price. Just a few of the items were a bit disappointing and none of it was cold.

When I've looked at it the veg at Jolly's has always appeared to be OK and steaming. Maybe it varies? I think that they had sprouts the last time I looked, which is a nice thing to find in a fairly cheap buffet. I suppose I should try it.

Maybe I just caught it at a bad time, the sprouts were so bad i have nothing to compare them with haha. Never been disappointed with Jockys although it is not a buffet so if you are Hank Marvin it may not do the job, but always hot and tasty. Anyway failing that, if still hungry, nip up to Retox for a 98baht brekky sick.gif burrp

• 2 months later...

Robin's Nest on Soi Diana used to get raves

Yes it did and I was one of them but not since they moved from a carvery to pre-sliced meat. For a carvery I go to Jolly's. Robin's Nest, however, do a shepherd's pie as part of the Sunday offering and are also open past 9pm, whereas Jolly's now finish at 5pm, or at least did last time I was there.

• 1 year later...
Chill Bar on Nern Plabwan does an excellent Sunday roast (beef, chicken or pork) for around 200 baht, lamb 40 baht more. It's a huge serving, would satisfy the hungriest of people. Chill bar is on the left hand side heading towards the temple, about a half a km past Pussycat.

I've eaten there twice. I found the food to be average, the portions average.
The thing that put me off this place is that not only did they not have horseradish, they didn't even know what it was!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A resurrected old thread, but still largely valid.

I would add a location that didnt exist when the thread started: Robin Hood at the Avenue. The plated Sunday lunch at 199B is good value. If you have their loyalty card you get 10% discount.

They also do a buffet version of the same meal at 399B but I find that the single plate is enough.

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

A resurrected old thread, but still largely valid.

I would add a location that didnt exist when the thread started: Robin Hood at the Avenue. The plated Sunday lunch at 199B is good value. If you have their loyalty card you get 10% discount.

They also do a buffet version of the same meal at 399B but I find that the single plate is enough.

how much is the loyalty card?

On 11/1/2017 at 8:20 AM, meuok said:

This is my opinion:
Economy Roast: The Caddy Shack.....this place is leaps and bounds above the rest
Quality Roast: Suggestions.....a touch difficult to find, but is well worth the effort. The Roast (Sundays) is superb, ..
Pig out Buffet: The Sportsman (with a close second to Aroi)

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is there a place called "Suggestions"?

On 01/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, meuok said:

Chill Bar on Nern Plabwan

Doesn't exist now.

21 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Is there a place called "Suggestions"?

Yes, though it is not in the city, it is on Soi Patanarkarn on the Darkside.

The George Sports Bar in Jomtien on 143/151-153 Chaiyaphuk 1 banglamung, Pattaya 20150.

Although it's a little small compared to some buffets I've had it ticks all of the boxes as far as selections go imho.  What really stands out are the three choices of meat all of which are hot and succulent, definitely tender, juicy and tasty.  The sides were all prepared to perfection and it even comes with an ice cream sundae.

Certainly better than most Sunday Roasts that I've eaten here locally.

22552708_1611619415572414_2163393757756630769_n.jpg