Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Year 2003

dagling

The biggest drawback I found with any soft tail was the lack of rear suspension travel - and what travel there was could not be described as compliant by any means.

Got sideswiped by the oldest Toyota truck in the world just before Chiang Mai about 7 years ago, and rode a fat boy back to Pattaya. I would describe the handling as 'mushy' - and I am being charitable.

Dyna models I have found handle the best of all the HD line.

Be prepared mate....you will end up with a flamefest here.rolleyes.gif

You will have the anti HD guys [usually who have never even sat on one] running them down for all sorts of obscure reasons..

And you will have HD lovers who will praise them for what they are and what they aren't in their minds.

If as you say , you have had big cruisers already, you will understand the pros and cons of such and the only way for you to really understand if it is for you ,if you really need , to help make up your own mind is to rent one for a time and see for yourself

I had an 02 Softy and it was good for what it is designed for, but my preference was for Dynas, having had 6 of them from the first one about 1992 and that preference was all about the rubber mount set up, and also for the better handling that i felt it offered.

This site, tho; not specific to LOS explains a lot..;

Good luck

http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-for-sale.html

• Like 1

Know what you mean !!! Bought my first one 1974; this forum full of opinions from - shall we say - people who have next to, or no, experience with the brand.

Bikes are like tools, nice to have different ones to do different things.

• Like 1

Yes I agree regarding the softtail suspension, not so good.

Once in the moutains in up North, I was on a road kind and another guy on a soft tail, I smoked him easily and we were 2 up on mine and he was alone.

Try one out and see how you feel about it.

Sporsters and Dyna's are the best handling of the HD's.

Yes I agree regarding the softtail suspension, not so good.

Once in the moutains in up North, I was on a road kind and another guy on a soft tail, I smoked him easily and we were 2 up on mine and he was alone.

Try one out and see how you feel about it.

Sporsters and Dyna's are the best handling of the HD's.

Probably as much to do with the steeper rake on the Road king as the rear suspension type esp if on tight and winding roads...thumbsup.gif

The softail was designed to hide the rear springs, which it does. It makes a nice looking bike.

I agree that the dynas handle better, but not so much that I don't own a couple of Heritages because I love the look of a Heritage. My Dyna Wide Glide will out handle them, though. I also like the softail Deuce and wouldn't throw rocks at it.

The softail handling isn't so bad that I wouldn't buy one if I really liked it and the price was really right, but I'd rather have a Road King Classic than a Heritage if I was going to ride it a lot.

• Like 1

Found a very nice 2009 Harley Davison Springer, driven 42.000 km and the Green Book.

Any idea how much is the "right price" for such a bike? Seller wants 500,000 - Too expensive?

post-84957-0-05729600-1392620899_thumb.j

Edited by dagling

Is that 110" screaming eagle cylinders I think I can see on the picture? Is it a CVO? If it is and it got the green book with page 18 stamped, very cheap.

I don't like the springer front fork, but that's me, otherwise a very very nice looking bike.

Softails are fine for posing on. If you just want to potter around town and don't mind the weight and lack of suspension, then fine.

If you want to do any serious touring then be aware:

1. Your cruising speed is limited by the aerodynamics of a brick, turbulence is a way of life with one of these.

2. You will fry your love eggs - the motor puts out a serious amount of heat.

3. The noise and vibration gets very wearing.

4. The design and engineering are 20th century.

5. Build quality is variable, some parts wear badly in this climate.

6. It just doesn't cope well with bad roads, particularly at speed.

I have a Heritage Softail 2006 and previously owned a Sportster. I love it for all its faults but use my water-cooled GS for all longer journeys.

Buy a Softail (particularly an old one) knowing what to expect and you will have a happy relationship. Buy one because you fancy the image and fail to do your research and it will end in tears.

P.S. Don't even think about buying it without checking its provenance, green book etc. Many older ones are grey imports without proper paperwork etc. and that will end in more than tears if you try to sell it.

Only my honest opinion as a HOG member.

Flame on brothers!

• Like 1

Is that 110" screaming eagle cylinders I think I can see on the picture? Is it a CVO? If it is and it got the green book with page 18 stamped, very cheap.

I don't like the springer front fork, but that's me, otherwise a very very nice looking bike.

What is so important about page 18? Is this something that applies to all bikes? I also consider a Yamaha Warrior 1700cc, year 2006.

500K is a good price.

Be aware tho' - the springer front end, coupled with the softail rear end, are the most under-performing setups in the HD line.

The springer suffers the same as the rear - lack of suspension travel and insufficient damping.

• Like 1

Found a very nice 2009 Harley Davison Springer, driven 42.000 km and the Green Book.

Any idea how much is the "right price" for such a bike? Seller wants 500,000 - Too expensive?

attachicon.gifhd_09_cvo_fd_191.jpg

Impossible to buy for 500k. More likely 500k down and then payments. Would buy 2 or more at that price!!!

I found it on a thai web site, deal fish, and after translating the text with Google I`m sorry to say you are right;-(