Booking Fee for apartment, no agent involved

banagan

I was looking at an apartment today, and noticed on the agreement that there's a booking fee of 1,000 baht.

I've never seen this before... booking fee for what? I walked in off the street, there was no agents involved... showed a few mates here, they never heard this one.

Is this a new scam here?

Sounds reasonable.

Would you be upset if instead they asked you to provide references and a credit check.

My tenants have to do that and when an agent is involved that particular fee is for exactly that.

People don't work for free you know....its 1000bt for god sake, go with the flow.

Sounds reasonable.

Would you be upset if instead they asked you to provide references and a credit check.

My tenants have to do that and when an agent is involved that particular fee is for exactly that.

People don't work for free you know....its 1000bt for god sake, go with the flow.

I wouldn't be upset, I'd leave and find another place, there's plenty to choose from.

I don't understand your point, work for free? Who are we talking about here, the girl in reception?

It's the principle, 1,000 baht for what exactly?

It could be a holding deposit... let's hope that's all it is.... and again, it's not about the money, I just don't like being scammed, who does?

How can a charge clearly stated on the booking agreement be a 'scam'?

Living independently of your parents is going to be challenging.

You're right! Technically it's not a scam.

I've been living independently for 15 years, can't say it's been that much of a challenge, Haiti was a bit dicey, especially during the lockdown during the Presidential elections.

Sorry it is rocket science. A landlord has real costs for processing a rental applications and a new tenant move ins and it is appropriate to charge for them. If the landlord allocates those costs into the rent then the short stay tenant will not pay his share and the long stay tenant will pay more than his share unless of course you want everybody paying different rent or rental adjustments which is more of a monkey house.

As agents we normally charge a booking fee/holding deposit of between 5000/10,000 depending on the value of the rental and only usually if they want to move in more than a week or so later. This is offset against the move in funds (first month's rent and security deposit/bond)

If the tenant changes their mind in the interim time they lose the deposit, but if the landlord changes his/her mind they get it back.

If this 1000 is for anything different walk away. It's not the 1000, I would be concerned about it is the possible other "unusual " fees they have in mind.

SDM

• Like 1

Sometimes they tack on a "move in fee" or "administrative fee" in the states. Still an un-necessary mark-up.

If it is specified as an " Admin " fee then this is fine. Even a private landlord will have to spend time drawing up contracts, printing them off, maybe (hopefully) doing an inventory.

But any notice should say what the fee is for.

I wish we could do it here (!!) my London office charges £150 admin fees and that is pretty standard amongst all London agents. I think Foxtons are up to about £350 all in and that's just what the tenant pays!

SDM

Sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't be upset, I'd leave and find another place, there's plenty to choose from.

I don't understand your point, work for free? Who are we talking about here, the girl in reception?

It's the principle, 1,000 baht for what exactly?

It could be a holding deposit... let's hope that's all it is.... and again, it's not about the money, I just don't like being scammed, who does?

I don't

But then again if it had what I want and the location was right with a decent monthly rate. I would have 1,000 baht on the table so fast it would make your head spin.

Of course I am more concerned with my comfort a lot of the time. To old to suffer standing up for my rights on such a petty matter.

If I didn't like it I would just walk away and find what I do like.smile.png

I would be more concerned about the electric rates....

Good point. I only pay 6 baht but have heard of many at 8m and 10 baht.

I doubt the OP is looking for the type place he could just hook up direct and bypass the building. Even at that are the rates not getting close to 4 baht a unit?