DVD player compatible with Toshiba external drive

CMfoodie

Where can I purchase a DVD that will play music and movies off a 1T Toshiba external drive?

I went to Siam TV and 3 sales guys said - no have.

Went to Big C and 2 sales guys pushed one promising it would. It didn't.

My previous home theater system, a Pioneer worked fine. But here they are upwards of 22,000 baht.

Anyone? Thanks in advance

The question seems a bit unclear to me.

I guess the "external Toshiba DVD drive" is a DVD drive that is meant to connect via USB to a computer, correct?

If so - these cannot connect to home theater systems, they were not built for that purpose.

My advice to you would be to rip the DVDs and CDs and put the content on USB sticks which you can then use in your home theater system.

Edited by manarak

Thanks Manarak,

Here's a pic of my external drive. My Pioneer system was an integrated amplifier, DVD player, FM, CD player system with a USB port where I could plug in my Toshiba and it would play music and movie files.

I am looking for a DVD player here that I could plug this in to....

post-177104-0-84807600-1392643719_thumb.

Thanks Manarak,

Here's a pic of my external drive. My Pioneer system was an integrated amplifier, DVD player, FM, CD player system with a USB port where I could plug in my Toshiba and it would play music and movie files.

still scratching my head about what you want exactly.

What is the nature of the device you want to plug in? a model number would be nice

And what do you want to plug it into? A DVD player? Plug a DVD drive into a DVD player?

DVD players are very cheap... maybe the best is to just buy one

If the Toshiba external drive is USB-connected, then it should plug directly into your (modern) TV. If you need some kind of home theater surround effect, then see if you have USB ports in those devices to plug in your drive. No need for a separate DVD player.

But if you need a separate media player you can buy them upstairs in Panthip and they are quite reasonably priced, depending how far up you want to go (i.e. 1080p/3D).

I would imagine DVD sales are dropping like stones.

But whatever you buy, check the specs to make sure it supports your drive format, usually NTFS, and all the media types you want to play (MP3/FLAC/AVI/MPG/MP4/MKV etc.).

Thanks Manarak,

still scratching my head about what you want exactly.

What is the nature of the device you want to plug in? a model number would be nice

And what do you want to plug it into? A DVD player? Plug a DVD drive into a DVD player?

DVD players are very cheap... maybe the best is to just buy one

Yikes.... back in the US I would plug the Toshiba into the USB connection and I could play my files on the TV. I would like to know if there is a DVD compatible based on user experience here where I can plug my Toshiba in and play my files on the TV. I bought a 2500 baht DVD at Big C after the sales guys assured that it would work. It didn't. Would like a DVD that could read most file types such as MPEG4, AVI, MKV, MP3, etc.

Thanks!

Edited by CMfoodie

ok, now I see what you want - it's not really a DVD player you are after, but you want some kind of "media player box" that is able to read non-DVD containers such as MKV, MP4, etc. which you saved on DVD discs.

It's odd that the player from Big C could not read these, usually the devices sold in Thailand are able to read most formats.

I guess it can't be a DVD+ or DVD- thing, or maybe your DVDs are double layered?

ok, now I see what you want - it's not really a DVD player you are after, but you want some kind of "media player box" that is able to read non-DVD containers such as MKV, MP4, etc. which you saved on DVD discs.

It's odd that the player from Big C could not read these, usually the devices sold in Thailand are able to read most formats.

I guess it can't be a DVD+ or DVD- thing, or maybe your DVDs are double layered?

He wants something "that will play music and movies off a 1T Toshiba external drive"

I think we are talking a 1Tb Hard Drive.

He wants something "that will play music and movies off a 1T Toshiba external drive"

I think we are talking a 1Tb Hard Drive.

aaah, yes, I think you are right - I was being a bit thick LOL. Wondered all the time about the DVD when there was no DVD involved in the first place!

OP: it think it would be best to visit some shops, write down references of the boxes they sell and then to return home to do some internet research about them to see if they support external USB hard drives.

I run an external 2 TB Western Digital portable hard drive into a panasonic Blue Ray player and it will play most formats with upscaling on DVDs . You could also get a media Player which will play most ,if not all formats and i think they have a programe like VLC installed. The only problem i had was when i used a portable hard drive with a password - could not unlock it , could i ?

Also most recent TVs have usb ports which you plug straight into and use your remote to navigate.

Some USB ports don't deliver enough power to run an external hard drive (especially a 3.5 inch one) so you might try plugging a USB charger into it if it has a DC input. Whether the DVD plays the format your movies are in is a different matter. AVI and DIVX are common on DVD players, MKV, less so. An Egreat Media Tank (about 2000 baht 2nd floor Panthip near Goodspeed) will do exactly what you want if the DVD player won't.

Some USB ports don't deliver enough power to run an external hard drive (especially a 3.5 inch one) so you might try plugging a USB charger into it if it has a DC input. Whether the DVD plays the format your movies are in is a different matter. AVI and DIVX are common on DVD players, MKV, less so. An Egreat Media Tank (about 2000 baht 2nd floor Panthip near Goodspeed) will do exactly what you want if the DVD player won't.

Yes, the power issue might also be an explanation.