January 2014 - new regulations about applying for a green book? HELP!

robsamui

Hi all.

Everyone's an expert and one of these recently told me with swaggering certainty that . . ."after January 2014 no longer possible to apply for a green book for an imported bike with invoice and taxes paid."

He's obviously heard something about something, as "experts" do. But I keep and ear out and I've spent an hour combing through this forum looking.

There seems to be nothing about this at all - plus the big importers seem to all still be in business.

Firstly what the latest info applying for a green book - has anything much changed?

Second - anyone tell me what might have happened in January 2014 to trigger off this guy's "information" ?

Thanks in advance,

R

Edited by robsamui

Replace 2014 with 2012 and you will have it right more.

Then add "used" next to "vehicle" and and you will have it even more right. Importers bring in new vehicles, have a license, and in any case it has become more difficult for them too.

Finally if you have searched but not found that's strange because it's all over the place.

Still a confusing reply - please try to be patient.

I have a 1993 400cc imported from Japan several years ago and with the invoices all in order and the import duties, the excise duty and the VAT paid.

If I am willing to pay the final costs, is it possible, or not possible, to register the bike?

Thank you,

Rob

Edited by robsamui

Rob you are to far out on the time limit anyway they give you less than a year to tighten up the green book after purchase showing the dated invoices. I think your bike is a write off on obtaining a green book for it at this point. It is way to old to get a fresh book as of 2012 regulations as Paz has written. They just do not want older bikes getting booked here. You would also need to pass emissions meaning your carbs need to be upgraded to fuel injection of of one of the 2008 models (or close to that year along with all the supporting electrics) You have a better shot at finding a recycled book & doing the shuffle or just pay the fines every time you get stopped & possibly there would be a chance of the heat confiscating your ride. They have been doing that occasionally in my area (Pattaya). There are 4 bikes(maybe more now) in Bang Saray police lockup that have crushed titles. Then they can only be ridden by police if they fancy commandeering the ride. That is the reason I see bikes in your year down to 40,000 baht. Everyone is already hip to the bike never going to be fully legal.The old days there were ways around it but really not any legal ways to do it. The new imports yes but even that there is a time frame you must turn in paper work to get the book or the bike is in the void in regards to getting it green booked. There are at least 4 topics posted in TV bikes within a one year ago period till now. Even the dealers are taking a hit as I am sure they have to cough up extra to get the bikes booked. Good luck !

just ride it as it is.

it was possible to get a green book a year and a half ago. sorry.

but you can get a dodgy green book from another big bike but then never go to dlt office to pay tax etc. and if you make an accident with it, there should be propnems as well.

why did you wait all these years?

Thanks Beardog for a reply of more than one syllable - and that explained the current situation to me. Much obliged.

Fortunately I have the receipt for the Excise duty and VAT so hopefully when I get stopped it should be only a fine.

I have 2 contacts locally who are able to do the thing with a re-cycled book but both are being cagey about what I have to pay.

Although many topics here have been related to this, I couldn't find any that spelled it out like you have done.

Thanks for putting me straight.

R

^^ also to the good information presented I would consider how much the bike is actually "worth" to you.

1. You will never get a legal book for it

2. I don't believe you are doing anything illegal other than riding a 'legal vehicle to be IN Thailand' on the street where it is NOT legally allowed

3. I don't believe point 2 would be any worse in legal principal than riding a Honda Pee Wee 50cc on the road or a golf cart or something

4. You will never be able to insure it - and this above all would probably concern me the most

If you lost it, how much would you be down?

You may be able to part it out and get more?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there would be literally thousand of bikes like yours in the country (invoice/tax only), and this suggests to me that nothing drastic could ever change over night - but the 'government tightening' is certainly only moving in one direction.

• Like 1