Condo in Chiang Mai

TommyH

Hi, I'm going to Chiang Mai in May. I have planned to spend there 3 or 4 months and I need recommendations on condos. I do not need anything special, just to live "comfortably".

budget:

5000 -6000 Baht/month (including water)

Light: 2500 Baht/month (Computer & air conditioning on 24hours/day)

• Air Conditioning.
  • Quiet (no noise)
  • High Speed ​​Internet: It is very important to me. I do not like wify.

¿Any idea?

Thank you very much.

PD: I've never been to Thailand or Chiang Mai, do not know which site is best.

Hi, thanks for responding.

Looking something like this: http://www.mp-place.com/room.html
  • Room size 24 sq.m.
  • Price 6,000 baht/month (1-2 months)
  • Electricity 7 baht/unit, Water 25 baht/unit.
  • Service free!! Except,
  • High Speed Internet 400 baht/month.
  • Parking
  • Card Access Control
  • Including Furniture curtain, TV, Refrigerator
  • Air Condtioner,Water heater
  • Cable TV
  • Lan and Wifi High Speed Internet
¿No this is decent?

• Room size 24 sq.m.
  • Service free!! Except,
  • Parking
  • Card Access Control
  • Cable TV
¿No this is decent?

The Thai definition of High Speed Internet is not the same as westerners. My guess is they mean "Non-dialup", if you recall dialup. As others have mentioned, I think you're going to have a very hard time getting the internet you want.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

A good place is the Loft Residence. You walk out the back door and there is Tops Supermarket. Laundry, 7-11 close, good fruit stand Tanin market close by has everything good salad bar. If you sign a 3 month lease I believe that gives you 50 sq. metres for 7500 bahts 4500 for 28 square metres. In house internet 300 bahts water 200 bahts but electric is higher at 8 bahts a unit maybe 9. They have card security. Free cable. You can Google the name

• Like 1

Hello, thank you very much to all for responding.

I have collected the following options:

¿Which do you think is the best option?

With high speed internet, I mean 200kbs+ of download and very stable. No cuts.

¿How it works in Chiang Mai "True" Internet? I have read that is one of the best companies in Thailand.

Thank you very much!

A good place is the Loft Residence. You walk out the back door and there is Tops Supermarket. Laundry, 7-11 close, good fruit stand Tanin market close by has everything good salad bar. If you sign a 3 month lease I believe that gives you 50 sq. metres for 7500 bahts 4500 for 28 square metres. In house internet 300 bahts water 200 bahts but electric is higher at 8 bahts a unit maybe 9. They have card security. Free cable. You can Google the name

The Loft Residence is a nice place, but as I recall, there's a noisy night venue next door.

In any event, you can definitely get a decent serviced-apartment for 6000 baht, especially during low season (from May onwards). However, most only offer lousy wifi, but check around as there are surely some with a LAN connection.

• Like 1

@ dave2, @searcher22

But it is impossible sleep or concentrate?
Thank you.

concentrate...no, unless you do your concentrating in the late night hours.

sleep... depends how sensitive you are to noise, and which side of the building you're in.

Come here first, check out the area for yourself, and decide after.

• Like 1

• Room size 24 sq.m.
  • Service free!! Except,
  • Parking
  • Card Access Control
  • Cable TV
¿No this is decent?

No it is not decent. Do you have any idea what 24 m2 is like? I am pretty sure my upstairs master bedroom closet is about 20 m2 to give you an idea. I once lived in a 38 m2 flat in Europe for a couple of months while I was waiting for reconstruction to be completed on my flat. I felt like i was in a prison cell. And 6K THB for that? Students live in bigger dormitory rooms for 3.5-4.5K THB per month.

Give that a pass!

Again, thank you very much everyone for answering smile.png

@Winnie

This is a very good internet, works for me. You have cuts or is very stable?
What is the name of the supplier? True?

It's really stable; no cuts or drops and pretty low latency. (Unlike with 3G or building WiFi).

This is cheapo ADSL from TOT.

So it's great internet, just not very fast for downloading big stuff. wink.png And then there's the point that even the fastest internet still won't get that speed once you go international, which is pretty much all the time. There's still a bottleneck when you go out of the country to the US or Europe.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

No it is not decent. Do you have any idea what 24 m2 is like? I am pretty sure my upstairs master bedroom closet is about 20 m2 to give you an idea. I once lived in a 38 m2 flat in Europe for a couple of months while I was waiting for reconstruction to be completed on my flat. I felt like i was in a prison cell. And 6K THB for that? Students live in bigger dormitory rooms for 3.5-4.5K THB per month.

Give that a pass!

Well, that's decent for me.i am 25 years old, have no kids, I'm single. I do not need more than that.
Also, I'm not París Hilton :)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

24 sm is more than most hotel rooms. I had one in PP that was 12 sm, and it was pretty tight. Seen quite a few at 16 sm. Condos in BKK start at 22 sm. Clearly, not good for hoarders, but enough to sleep and shower in.

www.agoda.com is pretty decent. They have a good reward program, where you get 1 or 2 free nights per month. They also give the room size in the description. That option will spare you the 2 months deposit that has a tendency to disappear. Check RCN Court. Once it's low season, every fourth night is free (booking online). Everything for close too 10 usd per night. No deposit. Good wi-fi/and a/c, and you get a frig in your room, and can use the kitchen and washer on the lobby level.

Edited by Thighlander

A lot of my friends stay at the Emporium.

5,500 a month plus utils.

Nice rooms, fridge, tv, air, wifi, balcony, covered parking.

You can pay extra for a LAN connection in your room.

Good area, lots of shops just outside.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

24 sm is more than most hotel rooms. I had one in PP that was 12 sm, and it was pretty tight. Seen quite a few at 16 sm. Condos in BKK start at 22 sm. Clearly, not good for hoarders, but enough to sleep and shower in.

www.agoda.com is pretty decent. They have a good reward program, where you get 1 or 2 free nights per month. They also give the room size in the description. That option will spare you the 2 months deposit that has a tendency to disappear. Check RCN Court. Once it's low season, every fourth night is free (booking online). Everything for close too 10 usd per night. No deposit. Good wi-fi/and a/c, and you get a frig in your room, and can use the kitchen and washer on the lobby level.

'and you get a frig in your room' - great to get a frig included in the price-that can be 2000 extra most places!!!

'and you get a frig in your room' - great to get a frig included in the price-that can be 2000 extra most places!!!

and a good water filtration system that you can fill your bottles and keep cool. Some of the rooms have laundry racks to dry your 20 thb per load wash. Unfortunately, they aren't showing the fourth night free promo, yet.....they've done it for the past two years, starting May 1st, I believe. http://www.agoda.com/r-c-n-court-inn/hotel/chiang-mai-th.html?dsrch=1&cki=120514&cko=140514&asq=VN2bNhKpZeTTWLWyRwmT6b%2bxRmMqKhh%2fy1%2fseqjAxCNUfXbUJprSzPfszeY9u88hXkfSs3UAQTGf06ArNz9wiQTZXsSNYZl9Axm%2f5Q51URcw2SE9g7l4mC9NDOEYJ07Swe9aZTYcBYiuH9V0SqC05eL2AUnfOhFRTEDVteJxPyI%3d

I was going to wait on this but the 8 baht a unit for electricity is high could be higher have heard of one place at 10.

At any rate my electricity is 6 baht a unit and I did run it one month pretty much solid. The cost was around 8,000 baht for the month. I had my meter checked and it was working correctly. The air con is an older one and not as efficient as the newer ones. I had it serviced before I used it and kept the screens clean. Not sure you will find the newer air cons in a place in your price range. then on the other hand 24 sq. meters will be cheaper to cool down.

I do have other units that are running a lot in addition so 2,000 with fans is my usual. I have two units that run all night plus the wife never has the TV off and is constantly on her sewing machine.

$10 US a night works out to ball park 9,000 baht a month. Does that include the utilities?

Edited by northernjohn

Hello, thank you all for participating

I have sent several emails looking for good deals .

For now, the following condos allowed private internet:

Rent deposit 10000 + 5000 + 200 keycard

Water 200/month

Electricity 7/unit

check out cleaning: 500

Return keycard deposit: 100

Varada Place

room is 4500 THB and 5,000 THB (corner room )

Room 1 month deposit

Key deposit 100 THB / each

Key card 150 THB / each

Internet 400 THB / month

Cable TV 100 THB / month

Water 200 THB / month ( 2 unit = 2000 liters )

Electric 10 THB / unit

The rental rate is 4,000 baht per month and security deposit is another 5,000 baht.

Utilities are not included . Details are as follows

Electricity is 8 baht per unit used.

Water is 200 baht per month .

Wifi Internet is 300 baht per month .

Room cleaning is 100 baht per session , and cleaning charge upon checkout is 500 baht.

How much does an average household spend in electricity?

I Only need the computer, air con, fridge 16 to 24 hours/day. Nothing more, I do not need TV.

A greeting!

• 2 weeks later...

a good a/c for a 30 sm studio would use 10 Kwh per day +/-. I've been using 6 Kwh per day with no a/c but a wall fan, TV, and medium fridge, and a newish hot water heater (4500 watts). So you are looking at 4000 thb per month with a/c at 8 per unit.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...