Shopping Mall Hotel California

I know many will grown not that song again - it had become a constant backdrop to my visit here - hearing it in bars, clubs , shopping malls and even a lift - certainly the most popular western song here by a mile and often murdered by second rate Thai musicians. So it was a relief when In popped into a shopping mall near the Landmark to hear Rod Stewart's I don wanna talk about it (the second most played song) done so well by this Thai acoustic guitarist called Mud so I went and thanked him and asked if he could do the honours with the good ol Hotel Calif. Which he did and kindly let me video him ....

Take it away Mud ....

beautifulthailand99: It was a real delight to listen to Mud playing that. He's a real artist! Could you possibly describe where that shopping mall is? Does he play there regularly? Thanks.

In case the OP does not return with an answer...

Vid says a mall on Sukhumvit. Likely to be one of Terminal 21, Emporium, one up by Ekkamai I have not tried or Times Square. Looks a bit like the latter but I don't remember there being another pharmacy other than Boots in there

why do Thais like this rubbish when they have so much good music of their own?

Because they like it and they like to copy en masse what they like or do and it is the world's most popular song. I used to grown not again whenever I heard it but now often gives me a wry smile inside as a leitmotif for this country.

beautifulthailand99: It was a real delight to listen to Mud playing that. He's a real artist! Could you possibly describe where that shopping mall is? Does he play there regularly? Thanks.

Yes he stopped me in his tracks when I heard him - it is one of the smaller malls on the same side and just down from the Landmark walking towards Asok. He doesnt appear to do much commercially or at least thats what I think he said when I spoke with him. A real nice guy and a pleasure to meet him.

Here's another clip I found from You Tube at the Hotel Tai Pan , Bangkok

it's not the word's most popular song, I have left quite a few places when they start to play this pap. Thais don't even know what the song is about.

Each to his own and all that - I used to think the same before long exposure to Thailand rotted my brain. Whilst not maybe no 1 it's up there in the premier league.And of course most probably don't have a clue. You must have left quite a few places as you say - Scorpions Wind of Change is another Thai perennial along with Country Roads and the oldie Yellow Liver ....