Honda CBR500 2013 Recall?

sup3r1or

I keep seeing posts about CBR500 2013 models recall. Is this only for Australia? We got our bikes before them even so it kinds of begs the question if our Thai models are also on a recall?

Honda—Honda CB500F / CB500X / CBR500R Motorcycles

PRA number: 2014/13992
Date published: 14th February 2014

Product information Product description

500cc Motorcycle in three configurations - All are road going motorcycles designed and complied for road use in Australia

Identifying features

CBR500RA - MLHPC44U0D5000001 TO MLHPC44UXD5000829
CBR500R - MLHPC44U0D5000189 TO MLHPC44U9D5000773
CB500F - MLHPC44U2D5000012 TO MLHPC45U3D5000248
CB500X - MLHPC46U4D5000001 TO MLHPC46U2D5000112

What are the defects?

Due to an incorrect procedure during manufacture of the Rocker Arm Shaft Sealing Bolt, it may come loose causing oil to leak from the engine.

What are the hazards?

If the oil leak is undetected or unrepaired, loss of engine oil could cause engine failure or seizure.

Where the product was sold

• Nationally

Traders who sold this product

All Authorised Honda Motorcycle Franchises

Supplier

Thai Honda Manufacturing Co., Ltd

What should consumers do?

Consumers should contact their local Honda Dealer and arrange to have their bike inspected and the bolt replaced as soon as possible.

I wish someone would say what the 'incorrect procedure' was. Some numpty whose sole job it is to put Hondabond on the bolt probably decided they didn't need it if you hang off the wrench and do them up really tight.

I wish someone would say what the 'incorrect procedure' was. Some numpty whose sole job it is to put Hondabond on the bolt probably decided they didn't need it if you hang off the wrench and do them up really tight.

Yes, like tighten the bolt until you feel the threads pull, then back it off a quarter turn.

Motorbikes get produced in batches.

So only the batches mentioned are affected.

Check your MLHPC number, if it is not there, you are not affected.

Don't see these recalls for Europe or USA either.

I know of two bikes in the US that have had this issue.

One had lots done to fix it, the other re-tightened the bolts after spotting a small oil leak from them and appears OK now.

Just checked my oil for the first time in a long while and there's barely any there. According to the letter above mine is one of the bikes that needs to be checked, but I haven't received the letter or gotten a phone call. Gotta say I'm pretty pissed off. I plan to go down to Big Wing today and see what they have to say, but no matter what the result I have a feeling I'll be buying a new bike from another manufacturer before too long. I like the way my bike rides and I know Hondas generally have a good reputation but I've got no confidence in or patience with Chiang Mai Big Wing.

Just checked my oil for the first time in a long while and there's barely any there. According to the letter above mine is one of the bikes that needs to be checked, but I haven't received the letter or gotten a phone call. Gotta say I'm pretty pissed off. I plan to go down to Big Wing today and see what they have to say, but no matter what the result I have a feeling I'll be buying a new bike from another manufacturer before too long. I like the way my bike rides and I know Hondas generally have a good reputation but I've got no confidence in or patience with Chiang Mai Big Wing.

I would think you should be checking your oil when you do your basic safety inspection before every ride. Can you see oil leaking out of your engine or on the floor?

I would think you should be checking your oil when you do your basic safety inspection before every ride. Can you see oil leaking out of your engine or on the floor?

Yes, I should check my oil more often. No, I don't see evidence of a leak anywhere on the engine or on the floor. I should be clear, it's not the particular recall issue that's put me off Honda. It's the level of service. The few times I've been in there just for regular service or to ask a question I've gotten poor service. Not rudeness, just either ignored or made to feel like I'm inconveniencing them. I speak Thai and I'm always polite, as I will be today. Reports from others on the forum and in person confirm that poor service is a pattern at Chiang Mai Big Wing, at least for foreign customers. I never had this experience from the Kawasaki dealer. I think the CB500F is a great bike for Chiang Mai & the surrounding area but I don't like doing business with a company like this. The recall issue is just the last straw for me. And to be honest, I kind of want a bigger bike anyway!

I should be clear, it's not the particular recall issue that's put me off Honda. It's the level of service. The few times I've been in there just for regular service or to ask a question I've gotten poor service. Not rudeness, just either ignored or made to feel like I'm inconveniencing them. I speak Thai and I'm always polite, as I will be today. Reports from others on the forum and in person confirm that poor service is a pattern at Chiang Mai Big Wing, at least for foreign customers. I never had this experience from the Kawasaki dealer.

+1

Like you I am Mr. mellow, speak ok Thai & have the same impression of BW Chiang Mai.

Indifferent or borderline snobbish

I really lucked out that the bike I wanted in 2012 happened to be a brand ( Kawasaki )

that I do receive excellent service from in Chiang Mai. They couldn't be nicer or more

polite to me even over a year after the sale.

I have tried BW Chiang Mai 3 times already & will not try again.

PS: I am speaking CM specific because others have reported good service elsewhere.

am not slighting all BW or Honda's in general wink.png

These are what they replace for the recall.

I am bigwing bangkok at this moment for 24 k service and valve check and while i am here, they are replacing the bolts as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13931505523782_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13931505646104_thumb.jpg

I am bigwing bangkok at this moment for 24 k service and valve check and while i am here, they are replacing the bolts as well.

Are they replacing them or adding them? or were the bolts too long and not seating? just asking

Are they replacing them or adding them? or were the bolts too long and not seating? just asking

just replacing the old bolts with these. not adding parts of course.

so recall is just about replacing two bolts.

Z800s are pretty nice ;)

Kawasaki Chiang Mai are the best. They're competent, they have the parts, and most importantly they will bend over backwards to make their customers happy. They were really pushing Kawasaki Thailand to replace my blown up engine under warranty even though I was 6 months out of warranty when it happened - I know they had a lot to do with the fact things went my way. On a scale from 1 to 10 they get an 11 from me.

Yep, when I had a D-Tracker I always had good service at Kawasaki. But their service center looks overwhelmed these days. On my last visit there must have been 40 or 50 bikes parked there.

I rarely have made an appointment. Also while waiting usually not more than 2-4 folks in air con

waiting room

There are many bikes there as you say but seems they are waiting on insurance companies approval.

If something bigger than oil/tire change etc is to be done you can usually get an appointment withing

a few days.

My bike was not affected by the recall, but went in yesterday to have it checked anyway.

Free of charge. I have no complaints at all about BW Bangkok.

They have always been good to me.

i think i have seen you there bramds, i was there yesterday for 24 k service and to meet 'brfsa' in the meantime.

brfsa, nice to meet you man!

I agree, Honda Bigwing Bangkok is great, they are more like friends to me now. Great service, never any friction and whatever i want, always done by the motto: 'it is up to the customer' - most probably imported from Japan as the heads there and some mechs were trained in Japan.

Feel pity for Chiang Mai Bigwing customers. Guys have you ever tried to send some emails or letters to AP Honda and Bigwing Bangkok about this? Just try, it might work.

My bike was not affected by the recall, but went in yesterday to have it checked anyway.

i think i have seen you there bramds, i was there yesterday for 24 k service and to meet 'brfsa' in the meantime.

I agree, Honda Bigwing Bangkok is great, they are more like friends to me now. Great service, never any friction and whatever i want, always done by the motto: 'it is up to the customer' - most probably imported from Japan as the heads there and some mechs were trained in Japan.

Feel pity for Chiang Mai Bigwing customers. Guys have you ever tried to send some emails or letters to AP Honda and Bigwing Bangkok about this? Just try, it might work.

I wasn't sure it was you.

I was looking for an ugly red CBR500 but couldn't see it.

I wasn't sure it was you.

I was looking for an ugly red CBR500 but couldn't see it.

hahahsss.

bike was at the service area.

next time look for an ugly guy not an ugly bike!

I'm in Chiang Mai and ride a CB500X now for 10 month's and have two 3 day tours under my belt. Coming up on 5000K I've had to add oil several times. Found this strange for a new technology Honda engine but not distressing as from experience it takes a while for a new engine to seat. Obviously I would have noticed an oil leak.

Just read about the recall and I can see the concern of other new owners. I ride hard without concern for a new engine and figured that was the cause for the disappearing oil. I only go to CM Big Wing to keep my warranty valid as I don't talk technical Thai so don't waste my time or theirs with tech questions.

With a noisy clutch and clunky transmission the only good thing I can say about the machine is the price was right and it's fun to ride. Having ridden motorcycles since 1954 I think I'm qualified to judge American, European and Japanese motorcycles. I've owned more than a few of each over the decades......new and used.

I'll check my numbers and follow up later but I'm not really concerned as with everything in LOS I ride hard, wear it out and go buy another one.

Aloha........Jolly Roger

Archived