No use of force against protesters: Civil Court

webfact

To warn his guys not to move into the line of fire? It's probably a good idea considering the confusion and chaos with bombs going off. Maybe they teach that as part of military training, they certainly seem to be working as an organised team.

You mean, into the line of fire from the pro-government protesters? Was the popcorn shooter going to turn 90 degrees and start firing at his own people?

Yeah ... military training ... that's what they were doing.cheesy.gif

So just literally seconds after popcorn shooter opens fire you claim his wingman is signalling people it's safe to cross the road? Bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why is it bizarre? Haven't you ever heard of covering fire? The popcorn guy was shooting. Then the white balaclava guy was calling people over. You suggested that yourself.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously, it's no wonder that there are major protests so often with rulings like this.

If you want to be serious, you should understand that this is the same ruling that would be made in most civilized nations on earth. Are you suggesting that the people do not have a right to protest, and that they should be gun downed, as they were a few days ago? I certainly hope not.

They threw a grenade at the police, they shot a policeman in the head. Right in front of the worlds TV cameras!

Do the equivalence test:

If an elite was shot in the head would they expect justice? Would they permit other elite to be shot in the head? If an elite had a hand-grenade thrown at them, would they expect justice? It's not one rule for elites and one rule for police. No civilized place in the world would allow an armed militia on the streets of it's capital city to roam freely!

PDRC's Suthep has already admitted his men did the Laksi shootings. It's not that these armed men are somehow unconnected to Suthep, he's admitted it! Now the police can't stop them killing again?

This is Bangkok not Mogadishu!

• Like 2

Seriously, it's no wonder that there are major protests so often with rulings like this.

If you want to be serious, you should understand that this is the same ruling that would be made in most civilized nations on earth. Are you suggesting that the people do not have a right to protest, and that they should be gun downed, as they were a few days ago? I certainly hope not.

They threw a grenade at the police, they shot a policeman in the head. Right in front of the worlds TV cameras!

Do the equivalence test:

If an elite was shot in the head would they expect justice? Would they permit other elite to be shot in the head? If an elite had a hand-grenade thrown at them, would they expect justice? It's not one rule for elites and one rule for police. No civilized place in the world would allow an armed militia on the streets of it's capital city to roam freely!

PDRC's Suthep has already admitted his men did the Laksi shootings. It's not that these armed men are somehow unconnected to Suthep, he's admitted it! Now the police can't stop them killing again?

OMG!! A policeman got shot in the head!! Right in front of TV cameras!!!

4 protestors were shot dead by the police during the same gun fight. Pray tell, where's the justice for them?

Given that the interim government has very limited authority to make decisions and almost every decision now needs to go through the courts, I wonder whose best interest it would be in to protest the courts blocking their ability to work and make any future decisions.

At this point in time it would seem that has nobody has the authority to prevent this from happening or do anything about it if it did happen, so perhaps the question is whose best interest would this be in and who will do it first.

The moment a protest starts to use live fire or deadly weapons or armed civilian guards in any civilised country it would have been brought to an abrupt end and that would have happened months ago....

yes, .... and in said civilized society the police would have investigated each of the 45 over hand grenades thrown at the protesters since the beginning of the protests.

Lets be honest a civilised country dosnt have a change of gov every couple of years when they have an embolism and more coups than serving terms wink.png

Edited by englishoak

Having read the Khao Sod article it seems there literally nothing left of the Emergency Decree except the immunity to officers who enforce it. But there is nothing lleft to enforce.

No doubt Chalerm, Tarit, YL et al will refuse to recognise the authority of the court again but that will lead to criminal prosecutions, if they try to continue enforcing the SOE and courts won't approve arrest warrants under it. Rules of evidence are tougher under other laws.

I am not sure if the ruling is retroactive which could lead to prosecutions for actions already undertaken under the decree.

It seems to be a two parter, I just heard on the news that they're now going to DSI claiming government is shooting them and demanding courts protect them. With hand grenades being thrown by PDRC at police, and their shooters killing police, they want the courts to protect them from police?! So it seems we're full on judicial coup now!

The army would normally have been the first stop for a coup surely? So it means the army does not want to go down with Suthep and I can see why.

The election commission that won't do an election, and claims criticism of it is to win elections, that have already been won! I don't see how that's going to play well in the world.

NACC bringing corruption charges for negligence in stopping corruption it hasn't claimed yet. R-i-g-h-t, no politics there.

It's all getting very comic. Suppose they get Yingluk out, who do they propose as PM? Abhisit? cheesy.gif Prayuth? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Anand? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Suthep? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think the big problem for you guys is that you can scream about Yingluk and make negative endless comments claims and lies putting down Thailand and PT, but you can't put a person forward and offer a single ray of hope.

Not a single ray of hope. Just some sort of doom and gloom, where everything is corrupt, the courts block the police, gunmen roam the streets killing people and it's illegal to stop them! And no railways are made, and no minimum wage, and the sick can't get healthcare and are left to die like buffaloes, and the rich get super duper rich, and nobody needs to get elected, so nobody needs to listen to Thai people, and if we disagree, you'll throw handgrenades at us and shoot us!?

It's a bleak future, and all the stuff they're doing now, it's all destroying Thailand. All to gain power.

Well said!! Captures all the pieces of the situation.

After this latest piece of excrement by the Civil Court it's truly getting hard to watch and the sense is, if you're living in Bangkok, you're caught along with a lot of benign people living day to day lives watching and waiting for the violence to rise.

Short of the government rising up and beyond the shackles and restoring order on their own which I suppose would create a confrontation with the military it's hard to see how where this is going and who if anyone has the ability to save Thailand from itself.

It occurred to me today perhaps Thailand is about to prove that it isn't capable of a democracy and a democratically elected government and institutions, that it will or needs to fall back into feudalism and have to wait for another day, if in the future it can choose that form of leadership again.

Having read the Khao Sod article it seems there literally nothing left of the Emergency Decree except the immunity to officers who enforce it. But there is nothing lleft to enforce.

No doubt Chalerm, Tarit, YL et al will refuse to recognise the authority of the court again but that will lead to criminal prosecutions, if they try to continue enforcing the SOE and courts won't approve arrest warrants under it. Rules of evidence are tougher under other laws.

I am not sure if the ruling is retroactive which could lead to prosecutions for actions already undertaken under the decree.

It seems to be a two parter, I just heard on the news that they're now going to DSI claiming government is shooting them and demanding courts protect them. With hand grenades being thrown by PDRC at police, and their shooters killing police, they want the courts to protect them from police?! So it seems we're full on judicial coup now!

The army would normally have been the first stop for a coup surely? So it means the army does not want to go down with Suthep and I can see why.

The election commission that won't do an election, and claims criticism of it is to win elections, that have already been won! I don't see how that's going to play well in the world.

NACC bringing corruption charges for negligence in stopping corruption it hasn't claimed yet. R-i-g-h-t, no politics there.

It's all getting very comic. Suppose they get Yingluk out, who do they propose as PM? Abhisit? cheesy.gif Prayuth? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Anand? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Suthep? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think the big problem for you guys is that you can scream about Yingluk and make negative endless comments claims and lies putting down Thailand and PT, but you can't put a person forward and offer a single ray of hope.

Not a single ray of hope. Just some sort of doom and gloom, where everything is corrupt, the courts block the police, gunmen roam the streets killing people and it's illegal to stop them! And no railways are made, and no minimum wage, and the sick can't get healthcare and are left to die like buffaloes, and the rich get super duper rich, and nobody needs to get elected, so nobody needs to listen to Thai people, and if we disagree, you'll throw handgrenades at us and shoot us!?

It's a bleak future, and all the stuff they're doing now, it's all destroying Thailand. All to gain power.

Well said!! Captures all the pieces of the situation.

After this latest piece of excrement by the Civil Court it's truly getting hard to watch and the sense is, if you're living in Bangkok, you're caught along with a lot of benign people living day to day lives watching and waiting for the violence to rise.

Short of the government rising up and beyond the shackles and restoring order on their own which I suppose would create a confrontation with the military it's hard to see how where this is going and who if anyone has the ability to save Thailand from itself.

It occurred to me today perhaps Thailand is about to prove that it isn't capable of a democracy and a democratically elected government and institutions, that it will or needs to fall back into feudalism and have to wait for another day, if in the future it can choose that form of leadership again.

I guess with 'piece of excrement' you mean the ruling of the Civil Court? That sounds as if you do not agree with the ruling and the reasoning given for the ruling. Strange even k. Chalerm seems to respect it.

BTW do you have a link to the full English translation of the Thai ruling?wai.gif

The moment a protest starts to use live fire or deadly weapons or armed civilian guards in any civilised country it would have been brought to an abrupt end and that would have happened months ago....

yes, .... and in said civilized society the police would have investigated each of the 45 over hand grenades thrown at the protesters since the beginning of the protests.

Lets be honest a civilised country dosnt have a change of gov every couple of years when they have an embolism and more coups than serving terms wink.png

Let's be honest most democratic countries have a change of government every four years or even sooner.

BTW the topic is not on embolism or coups, but on (police) force against protesters. Plus of course the question unanswered why the police seems to have no problem 'finding' details on any violent anti-government protester, but fail to make progress in all those nightly 'shooting at protesters' and the odd grenade lobbed.

Good. No more idiotic pushes to disband the protestors. Now that the court has ruled against using violence, they can't legally disband the protestors. If they try and someone dies, Chalerm and his band of official thugs can be held liable.

Any other Western and modern country wouldn't tolerate what Suthep is encouraging, let's be thankful that this is not in the Great USofA, Britain, Australia or elsewhere as there would be a whole lot more blood running down the streets.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Which Western democracies would tolerate the massive graft and vote buying of the Thaksin regime? You need look no further than the rice pledging scheme on both counts.

Oh that's easy, the vote buying and rigging of elections to get George jnr into power. The buying of shares by both Republican and Democrat in private Military companies producing weapons and ammunition etc where shall I stop? America America, the most corrupt and unlawful State on the Planet. It doesn't even qualify as a country anymore as it is STATE controlled. That's one, there's more....

• Like 1

Do the equivalence test:

4 protestors were shot dead by the police during the same gun fight. Pray tell, where's the justice for them?

proof? Sorry no cred on this post. Please supply supporting evidence or don't bother posting.

Good. No more idiotic pushes to disband the protestors. Now that the court has ruled against using violence, they can't legally disband the protestors. If they try and someone dies, Chalerm and his band of official thugs can be held liable.

Any other Western and modern country wouldn't tolerate what Suthep is encouraging, let's be thankful that this is not in the Great USofA, Britain, Australia or elsewhere as there would be a whole lot more blood running down the streets.

No in these countries Thaksin would be already in jail since 10 years.

Look at Italy....Berlusconi has a lot legal troubles even he is Mr. Clean in compare with Thaksin....So in the western country it wouldn't be necessary that normal citizen need to do the job of police and court.

Oh I thought Italy was a European country and clearly not Western. You may want to read up on the difference...

BANGKOK: -- The Civil Court on Wednesday ruled the state of emergency cannot be used as a reason for clamping down on the anti-government demonstrators.

whose demonstrations have so far been conducted peacefully.

BUT, what about the peoples rights of freedom to travel and work in some areas. This was and has been STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

What about the freedom to travel and to VOTE in some areas, this was also STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

You, The Civil Court are the Joke of the Year 2014.cheesy.gif and do not know anything about the RULE OF CIVIL LAW. Do you? As we all have the Civil right of movement etc......this was also STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

What you, The Civil Court should have mentioned was the Civil disobedience by the anti-government demonstrators taking over and ransacking government offices, and to leave right now all government properties and park your demonstrators in the DEEP SOUTH of Thailand where they came from.

The only good thing came out was, the street food vendors are making funds for their families which helps the poor folks.

I rest my case, me lord/s.

Win facepalm.gif

You should start respecting the rule of law as without it we have anarchy. Anarchy is not democracy by the way.

Instead of denouncing the courts and fighting against a democratic society maybe the questions that need to be asked is what evidence have the courts received to make this judgement? The courts must know something we don't. We are, but internet warriors, most of who cannot speak, read or write Thai. We have a civil court judge making a ruling not based on articles in Bangkok Post and Thai Visa. They have people bringing them evidence, showing them video footage and presenting a case to back up their argument.

Maybe you should replace the PTP lawyer. Seems like he is doing a terrible job according the ruling given. Apparently it is not the courts you should be angry with. It should be the PTP lawyers for not presenting the facts as you have. BUT then, the PTP are never wrong are they and it is more simplistic and easy to blame the courts.

You raise a good point. Are court transcripts available to the general public? Is there any news outlet that covers court proceedings? Are court hearings such as this as this open to the general public? What 'quantum' of proof is required by the courts and who bears the burden of proof? Is there a discovery process? By and large, the Thai judicial system remains a dark mystery to me.

in short, the answer is NO, evidence presented and or precedents for making these decisions ARE not and cannot be made available to the general public. Simple....

proof? Sorry no cred on this post. Please supply supporting evidence or don't bother posting.

Proof? I don't know, how about 4 dead protestors? That proof enough for you?

Then why post if you DONT know, seems illogical does it not?

Then why post if you DONT know, seems illogical does it not?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile

Nothing illogical, dear boy. But perhaps a little bit difficult for someone of intellect to comprehend.

• Like 1

You should start respecting the rule of law as without it we have anarchy. Anarchy is not democracy by the way.

Instead of denouncing the courts and fighting against a democratic society maybe the questions that need to be asked is what evidence have the courts received to make this judgement? The courts must know something we don't. We are, but internet warriors, most of who cannot speak, read or write Thai. We have a civil court judge making a ruling not based on articles in Bangkok Post and Thai Visa. They have people bringing them evidence, showing them video footage and presenting a case to back up their argument.

Maybe you should replace the PTP lawyer. Seems like he is doing a terrible job according the ruling given. Apparently it is not the courts you should be angry with. It should be the PTP lawyers for not presenting the facts as you have. BUT then, the PTP are never wrong are they and it is more simplistic and easy to blame the courts.

You raise a good point. Are court transcripts available to the general public? Is there any news outlet that covers court proceedings? Are court hearings such as this as this open to the general public? What 'quantum' of proof is required by the courts and who bears the burden of proof? Is there a discovery process? By and large, the Thai judicial system remains a dark mystery to me.

in short, the answer is NO, evidence presented and or precedents for making these decisions ARE not and cannot be made available to the general public. Simple....

Well, so much for transparency in the judiciary! Is this on the list for reform?

Well, I'm sure that the Civil Court gave a detailed explanation how they came to the ruling they came to. Of course in Thai only. Most likely those of the legal profession can ask for a copy and translate it so also posters here can know rather than feel the need to wildly speculate.

As for an assumed 'no evidence or precedents are or can be made available', well, did someone here ask the court? Hire a Thai lawyer and have him/her lodge a formal request for information?

May I assume the answer is 'no'?

Conspiracy nutters take note: The court did not support the democrat-led petition to lift the state of emergency. This is obviously further evidence of a judicial coup.

Roswell has a more logical explanation than this court judgement...

I do finally agree with you on something - must be the full moon wink.png

Simple. They're sending messages if you read between the lines. You now have both courts stating that the protests are legal and peaceful. Now the door is open to laying charges much more easily against those in Govt.

Well yeah, the old money are starting to use their muscle and call in all the favours the judges owe them, (sweet property deals, o'seas junkets, girls etc).

All you fools who think Thailand will somehow morph into a just and corruption free country when Thaksin has gone are really kidding themselves.

All it will mean is more of the rotten-to-the-core system that has flourished for the past 100 years.

• Like 1

This ruling will do nothing to reduce the violence seen on the streets of Bangkok. In fact it will make matters worse for two reasons.

Firstly protestors will act with even more impunity than they do now as they believe the court ruling protects their actions.

Secondly if the police cannot maintain public order a third force will be called in to do the job the police can't do.

I think it actually makes it more dangerous for Suthep as if he is taken out the protest movement will collapse. The risk/reward balance for taking him out has shifted with the court ruling.

I'm not advocating it merely suggesting the tension levels will have been ratcheted up by these rulings.

Unfortunately you're probably right.

There are some very dense minded people out there if they think their being Peaceful.....

They are as peaceful and unarmed as Chalerm's unarmed "Peace for Bangkok" police.

I stand by my comment.......DENSE minded.

Well yeah, the old money are starting to use their muscle and call in all the favours the judges owe them, (sweet property deals, o'seas junkets, girls etc).

All you fools who think Thailand will somehow morph into a just and corruption free country when Thaksin has gone are really kidding themselves.

All it will mean is more of the rotten-to-the-core system that has flourished for the past 100 years.

Great kiddo. The hot water has been invented long ago. The issue here is not complete the eradication of the corruption, it will never happen anywhere in the world. It's just the fact that Thaksin cronies are insatiable. Too greedy. It's simply unsustainable. It will ruin the state. You need to know when to stop and they obviously don't. It takes strong character to take out fingers out of the cookie jar - willingly.

As for calling others fools. Take a hard look at the mirror. wai2.gif

Cheers

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure that the Civil Court gave a detailed explanation how they came to the ruling they came to. Of course in Thai only. Most likely those of the legal profession can ask for a copy and translate it so also posters here can know rather than feel the need to wildly speculate.

As for an assumed 'no evidence or precedents are or can be made available', well, did someone here ask the court? Hire a Thai lawyer and have him/her lodge a formal request for information?

Acting smug dosnt become you rubi, precedents are not even used in Thai law courts but of course you must have known that.

Do you know the factual truth about detailed explanations and transcripts being available for public perusal if requested or just guessing ? have you suddenly become an expert on Thai civil court proceedings and public information ?

May i assume the answer is no ?

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

The ruling was that you can't use force against peaceful demonstrators. But when they chuck hand grenades and clearly (from the whole BBC video) fire at the Police - they are obviously not peaceful and NO Court ruling is going to stop the police from returning fire. Come on guys its obvious - the definition of peaceful is the key element in the ruling.

This ruling will do nothing to reduce the violence seen on the streets of Bangkok. In fact it will make matters worse for two reasons.

Firstly protestors will act with even more impunity than they do now as they believe the court ruling protects their actions.

Secondly if the police cannot maintain public order a third force will be called in to do the job the police can't do.

I think it actually makes it more dangerous for Suthep as if he is taken out the protest movement will collapse. The risk/reward balance for taking him out has shifted with the court ruling.

I'm not advocating it merely suggesting the tension levels will have been ratcheted up by these rulings.

Unfortunately you're probably right.

There are some very dense minded people out there if they think their being Peaceful.....

They are as peaceful and unarmed as Chalerm's unarmed "Peace for Bangkok" police.

I stand by my comment.......DENSE minded.

If you disagree then you are equally dense minded to believe the police were peaceful and unarmed.

Acting smug dosnt become you rubi, precedents are not even used in Thai law courts but of course you must have known that.

Do you know the factual truth about detailed explanations and transcripts being available for public perusal if requested or just guessing ? have you suddenly become an expert on Thai civil court proceedings and public information ?

May i assume the answer is no ?

If you know that 'precedents' are not really covered in thai law why did you assume 'no precedents can or will be made available'? Are you in your normal baiting mode?

Following I am indeed assuming details can be made available as that would seem normal in 'most' countries of a democratic nature. Indeed I am not a legal expert on Thai law, neither are you it would seem or you wouldn't ask all these questions or presume to know the answer rolleyes.gif

BANGKOK: -- The Civil Court on Wednesday ruled the state of emergency cannot be used as a reason for clamping down on the anti-government demonstrators.

whose demonstrations have so far been conducted peacefully.

BUT, what about the peoples rights of freedom to travel and work in some areas. This was and has been STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

What about the freedom to travel and to VOTE in some areas, this was also STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

You, The Civil Court are the Joke of the Year 2014.cheesy.gif and do not know anything about the RULE OF CIVIL LAW. Do you? As we all have the Civil right of movement etc......this was also STOPPED by the anti-government demonstrators.

What you, The Civil Court should have mentioned was the Civil disobedience by the anti-government demonstrators taking over and ransacking government offices, and to leave right now all government properties and park your demonstrators in the DEEP SOUTH of Thailand where they came from.

The only good thing came out was, the street food vendors are making funds for their families which helps the poor folks.

I rest my case, me lord/s.

Win facepalm.gif

djjamie, c'mon mate you and I both know that yes there some peaceful protesters, but at the same time there are also some very violent ones and others stopping people from working, voting, with supporting video evidence. that's very far from peaceful and democratic, that's why so many foreign and Thais are saying the CC is a joke, and it's now a judicial coup... cause the military won't make the same mistake as last time...

Tell me what would happen if this happened in OZ??? yeah, coppers and jail and fines$$$, nuf said.whistling.gif

• Like 1