Racism towards chinese tourists and biasness.

ultimate weapon

There was one post by one poster saying that thailand's problems was due to the bkk chinese who are ruling thai society. Now these thai chinese have changed their surnames from like wong, chen, chan and so on to thai names. They speak thai and practice thai culture and yes some do practice chinese culture and language but by and large they are totally assimilated into thai society. Of course their physical appearance is still chinese but that is of a small matter. Yet that forummer and probably a few in here just simply cannot stand the fact that thai chinese rule thailand. They mention thaksin who looks chinese but if you check his ancestry probably less than 1/4 chinese or around there but somehow still need to bring in the chineseness of thaksin and then use thaksin as an example of thai chinese and then bring up chinese in thailand ruling thai society. That is pure racism.

Just change the thai chinese to another race. Suppose it's now thai indian. Now thai indians don't need to change their names and practice thai culture to have someone call him a racist if that same forummer wrote the same exact words about the thai chinese that he wrote on thai indians. In fact thai indians would be praised for changing their names to thai names and practicing thai culture but not the same for chinese.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noisy, shouting, queue jumping tourists can come from any country - but huge groups of noisy, shouting queue jumping tourists will be from China.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is very true, back in the late 70's early 80's the Japanese were a very difficult bunch to deal with and they certainly match your description above.

There was one post by one poster saying that thailand's problems was due to the bkk chinese who are ruling thai society. Now these thai chinese have changed their surnames from like wong, chen, chan and so on to thai names. They speak thai and practice thai culture and yes some do practice chinese culture and language but by and large they are totally assimilated into thai society. Of course their physical appearance is still chinese but that is of a small matter. Yet that forummer and probably a few in here just simply cannot stand the fact that thai chinese rule thailand. They mention thaksin who looks chinese but if you check his ancestry probably less than 1/4 chinese or around there but somehow still need to bring in the chineseness of thaksin and then use thaksin as an example of thai chinese and then bring up chinese in thailand ruling thai society. That is pure racism.

Just change the thai chinese to another race. Suppose it's now thai indian. Now thai indians don't need to change their names and practice thai culture to have someone call him a racist if that same forummer wrote the same exact words about the thai chinese that he wrote on thai indians. In fact thai indians would be praised for changing their names to thai names and practicing thai culture but not the same for chinese.

Well it's simply a fact that a very high proportion of Thailand's means of production are owned and controlled by families descended from Hakka or Tiewchew immigrants, the genetic percentage is irrelevant, they are proud of heir heritage and do consider themselves more intelligent and harder-working than the "native" Thais - whose ancestors are also from what is now China, just came over a lot earlier.

Ethnic Thais will often say the same things - these are things to be proud of, and even here on TV it is used as a positive - the sarcasm comes from the statistical fact that most mia farang are poor country Isaan girls

To me none of these issues have anything to do with "racism", this hobby horse of yours is pure fantasy IMO and now long dead, maybe stop beating it?

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

I know that when I was staying in Bangkok a while back we went down for breakfast and were there before most others so I ordered my eggs and waited at the front of the line, next thing a group if chinese came into the dining area and as the cook was reaching to give me my eggs some chinese woman tried to snatch it from my hand & I knock her away her and told her to get in line. By the time I got to the hot food area it was all gone, the chinese had loaded their plates to the max and I mean max, it was slipping off them as they carried them back to their tables. The table I had already put our juice and coffee on was being taken over as well so I quickly told them to xxxx off and went ape xxxx at them, they got the idea and moved. The staff actually came and appologised to us and then went out to the kitchen and brought us back a couple of plates with bacon, fried rice, etc on it plus a jug of juice as the chinese had drained all that as well in a matter of minutes. Do we pick on them, no, but when they carry on like this I have no hesitation in having a go at them, I have never seen anything like this before or since but stragely enough my wife explained that the chinese are simply like this after she had been to china on a work trip. Mate, I treat everyone the same, they cross me I say what I think, their nice then so am I but it is easy to pick up who is bad and who is not, not all nationalities are the same but there are exceptions. On this subject you are definitely in the minority because a lot of people have seen the same thing I have.

Could you name me which hotel that was at?

I have stayed at a number of hotels and they had chinese tourists. Let's see emerald hotel located at ratchada is near the china embassy and it's a pretty famous and old hotel and also quite up market many china ppl stay there and no i didn't encounter what you did.

Let me try to recall. I was at one of the temples. The temple of the sleeping buddha i have forgotten the thai name. I saw one china tourist arguing with the shopkeeper.

Anyway i have not encountered what you did with those china tourists.

well then, you have never encountered it so it must never happenblink.png , I have never met an eskimo so they must not be real either. Afraid you do not make a lot od sense with your comments in fact you sound more like a troll but to humour you, the hotel was only just down from the emerald but a bit more modern.

Well it's simply a fact that a very high proportion of Thailand's means of production are owned and controlled by families descended from Hakka or Tiewchew immigrants, the genetic percentage is irrelevant, they are proud of heir heritage and do consider themselves more intelligent and harder-working than the "native" Thais - whose ancestors are also from what is now China, just came over a lot earlier.

Ethnic Thais will often say the same things - these are things to be proud of, and even here on TV it is used as a positive - the sarcasm comes from the statistical fact that most mia farang are poor country Isaan girls

To me none of these issues have anything to do with "racism", this hobby horse of yours is pure fantasy IMO and now long dead, maybe stop beating it?

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Think about it if despite discrimination and yet being able to dominate shows the tenacity and shrewdness of chinese ppl so they deserve to dominate. Bringing it up and saying they don't deserve to rule shows petty mindedness and racism and were it indians instead that person would be called a racist but yet if it happens to be chinese or some other east asian group the charges of racism are lesser. You should know it yourself. When it involves chinese somehow the tendency to make racist remarks "ching chang chong" somehow come quicker and more easily and there is less afraidness to be branded a racist compared to making remarks on indians and a chinese has a more difficult time complaining of racism.

I know that when I was staying in Bangkok a while back we went down for breakfast and were there before most others so I ordered my eggs and waited at the front of the line, next thing a group if chinese came into the dining area and as the cook was reaching to give me my eggs some chinese woman tried to snatch it from my hand & I knock her away her and told her to get in line. By the time I got to the hot food area it was all gone, the chinese had loaded their plates to the max and I mean max, it was slipping off them as they carried them back to their tables. The table I had already put our juice and coffee on was being taken over as well so I quickly told them to xxxx off and went ape xxxx at them, they got the idea and moved. The staff actually came and appologised to us and then went out to the kitchen and brought us back a couple of plates with bacon, fried rice, etc on it plus a jug of juice as the chinese had drained all that as well in a matter of minutes. Do we pick on them, no, but when they carry on like this I have no hesitation in having a go at them, I have never seen anything like this before or since but stragely enough my wife explained that the chinese are simply like this after she had been to china on a work trip. Mate, I treat everyone the same, they cross me I say what I think, their nice then so am I but it is easy to pick up who is bad and who is not, not all nationalities are the same but there are exceptions. On this subject you are definitely in the minority because a lot of people have seen the same thing I have.

I have stayed at a number of hotels and they had chinese tourists. Let's see emerald hotel located at ratchada is near the china embassy and it's a pretty famous and old hotel and also quite up market many china ppl stay there and no i didn't encounter what you did.

Let me try to recall. I was at one of the temples. The temple of the sleeping buddha i have forgotten the thai name. I saw one china tourist arguing with the shopkeeper.

well then, you have never encountered it so it must never happenblink.png , I have never met an eskimo so they must not be real either. Afraid you do not make a lot od sense with your comments in fact you sound more like a troll but to humour you, the hotel was only just down from the emerald but a bit more modern.

I didn't say that don't put words in my mouth. I was thinking out incidents where i met chinese tourists and so far they didn't get into my space. I also stayed at amanta at ratchada.

Could you at least name the hotel or say what it rhymes with.

Noisy, shouting, queue jumping tourists can come from any country - but huge groups of noisy, shouting queue jumping tourists will be from China.

This is very true, back in the late 70's early 80's the Japanese were a very difficult bunch to deal with and they certainly match your description above.

Serious? Didn't know japanese behaved like chinese back then. Honestly everyone is always waxing just how cool and superior japanese ppl are.

We can just change the races around but leave the situation the same.

Let's just assume the indians in thailand faced the same issues as the chinese thais.

Forced to change their surnames and everything and assimilate with thais.

Tv members when they see it is indians that were forced to do this: Wow thais are so damn racist ! Evil thais forcing poor indians to change names and everything

TV members when they see it is chinese that were forced to do this: Who cares it's ok to discriminate chinese and force them to change their last names and culture.

TV members when they see indian thais after being forced to change name and culture dominate sectors of thai society: That is good, wow indians are really good in this teach those racist thais a lesson.

TV members when they see chinese thais after being forced to change name and culture dominate sectors of thai society: Bloody evil thai chinese or rather chinese despite changing culture, last names and assimilating into thai society should not dominate sectors of society in thailand because of their hard work. This is wrong.

Tell me if this isn't how some of you think like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

The Thai-Chinese have been deeply ingrained into all elements of Thai society for the past 400 years. The present Thai royal family, the Chakri Dynasty, was founded by King Rama I who himself was partly Chinese. His predecessor, King Taksin of Thonburi dynastry, was the son of a Chinese immigrant from Guangdong Province and a Thai mother. Nearly all Thai Chinese identify themselves completely as Thai[citation needed]due to the highly successful[clarification needed] integration of Chinese communities into Thai society.

See the chinese regard themselves as thai so of course they won't suffer "racism"

The Chinese in Thailand also suffered discrimination between the 1930s to 1950s under the military dictatorship of Prime Minister Plaek Phibunsongkhram, (in spite of being part-Chinese himself).[19]State corporations took over commodities such as rice, tobacco and petroleum, and Chinese businesses found themselves subject to a range of new taxes and controls. Nevertheless, the Chinese were still encouraged to become Thai citizens, and by 1970 it was estimated that more than 90 percent of the Chinese born in Thailand had done so. In 1975, diplomatic relations were established with China.[20]

Sounds like serious racism to me.

It's the Japanese I am having difficulty with. These di@ks will walk right over you standing in line. I just started standing firm and not moving to see what would happen. It becomes a shoving match using body weight. Good thing they are almost always half my size! Always followed by just saying nothing.

The Chinese, no problem with them. They stay in organized groups and are passive for the most part.

Let's just assume the indians in thailand faced the same issues as the chinese thais.

Tv members when they see it is indians that were forced to do this: Wow thais are so dam_n racist ! Evil thais forcing poor indians to change names and everything

TV members when they see it is chinese that were forced to do this: Who cares it's ok to discriminate chinese and force them to change their last names and culture.

TV members when they see indian thais after being forced to change name and culture dominate sectors of thai society: That is good, wow indians are really good in this teach those racist thais a lesson.

TV members when they see chinese thais after being forced to change name and culture dominate sectors of thai society: Bloody evil thai chinese or rather chinese despite changing culture, last names and assimilating into thai society should not dominate sectors of society in thailand because of their hard work. This is wrong.

The Thai-Chinese have been deeply ingrained into all elements of Thai society for the past 400 years. The present Thai royal family, the Chakri Dynasty, was founded by King Rama I who himself was partly Chinese. His predecessor, King Taksin of Thonburi dynastry, was the son of a Chinese immigrant from Guangdong Province and a Thai mother. Nearly all Thai Chinese identify themselves completely as Thai[citation needed]due to the highly successful[clarification needed] integration of Chinese communities into Thai society.

See the chinese regard themselves as thai so of course they won't suffer "racism"

The Chinese in Thailand also suffered discrimination between the 1930s to 1950s under the military dictatorship of Prime Minister Plaek Phibunsongkhram, (in spite of being part-Chinese himself).%5B19%5DState corporations took over commodities such as rice, tobacco and petroleum, and Chinese businesses found themselves subject to a range of new taxes and controls. Nevertheless, the Chinese were still encouraged to become Thai citizens, and by 1970 it was estimated that more than 90 percent of the Chinese born in Thailand had done so. In 1975, diplomatic relations were established with China.%5B20%5D

Wow man you are just obsessed with this aren't you. So now you're complaining that the Thais many decades ago were "racist" for forcing greater assimilation. Why not complain to the them then not us, preferably with a one-way time machine?

And again, most people - farang and modern-day Thais - that I hear talking about this issue are expressing admiration.

And finally do the Chinese themselves get upset about these issues? Whey are you such a campaigner for "not racism" on their behalf - I just don't get it?

Seems a form of insanity AFAIC to expect life to be fair. I suspect the Chinese take a more constructive view toward overcoming adversity.

It's the Japanese I am having difficulty with. These di@ks will walk right over you standing in line. I just started standing firm and not moving to see what would happen. It becomes a shoving match using body weight. Good thing they are almost always half my size! Always followed by just saying nothing.

The Chinese, no problem with them. They stay in organized groups and are passive for the most part.

They are half your size you say.

And they walk OVER you?

How does that work?

I'm not racist. I hate everyone and I hate them all equally.

I remember when I lived in the UK telling one of my visiting Thai friends who had made a remark about the level of Indian visitors in the Bumrangrad that she cannot say things like this in the UK. She is not racist, and works as a lead research scientist for a very well known international company. But what it made me think about is how in the UK we must be so careful about what we say, and quite often the people upset by a remark such as this are nothing to do with the race being mentioned.

Again I repeat that I am not a racist, but when I return home I barely recognise it. Perhaps Enoch Powell was right when he committed political suicide with that famous speech.

Regarding the title of the topic, when I am out and I hear people having a conversation at the top of their voices oblivious to the others that they disturb around them, almost sounding as if a fight is about to begin, but in reality it is just normal conversation, I know there are Chinese tourists about even if I cannot see them. Maybe they all have to shout at home to be heard because of the massive population ??55 Rude ? No ruder than anyone else here, and the same goes for the Russians.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Tv members when they see it is indians that were forced to do this: Wow thais are so dam_n racist ! Evil thais forcing poor indians to change names and everything

The Chinese in Thailand also suffered discrimination between the 1930s to 1950s under the military dictatorship of Prime Minister Plaek Phibunsongkhram, (in spite of being part-Chinese himself).%5B19%5DState corporations took over commodities such as rice, tobacco and petroleum, and Chinese businesses found themselves subject to a range of new taxes and controls. Nevertheless, the Chinese were still encouraged to become Thai citizens, and by 1970 it was estimated that more than 90 percent of the Chinese born in Thailand had done so. In 1975, diplomatic relations were established with China.%5B20%5D

Wow man you are just obsessed with this aren't you. So now you're complaining that the Thais many decades ago were "racist" for forcing greater assimilation. Why not complain to the them then not us, preferably with a one-way time machine?

And again, most people - farang and modern-day Thais - that I hear talking about this issue are expressing admiration.

And finally do the Chinese themselves get upset about these issues? Whey are you such a campaigner for "not racism" on their behalf - I just don't get it?

Seems a form of insanity AFAIC to expect life to be fair. I suspect the Chinese take a more constructive view toward overcoming adversity.

No i am talking about you guys here. Your opinions and you didn't actually answer my issues which is true if another race was put into the place of the chinese thais somehow ppl would feel more sympathetic to them but nope not chinese which is racist.

well then, you have never encountered it so it must never happen:blink: , I have never met an eskimo so they must not be real either. Afraid you do not make a lot od sense with your comments in fact you sound more like a troll but to humour you, the hotel was only just down from the emerald but a bit more modern.

I didn't say that don't put words in my mouth. I was thinking out incidents where i met chinese tourists and so far they didn't get into my space. I also stayed at amanta at ratchada.

Could you at least name the hotel or say what it rhymes with.

"as the cook was reaching to give me my eggs some chinese woman tried to snatch it from my hand & I knock her away her and told her to get in line."

YOU are so full of nonsense. I have spent decades in China, and around Asia, and I have NEVER EVER seen any Chinese person take something out of the hand of another in a dining room. THat is UTTER nonsense.

The Chinese are normally very polite, and well educated. I know

Because I have lived here for a very long time.

Utter nonsense, sir.

Come to think of it you make sense too but beware he is going to go oh you know all because you didn't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and you know this means we can never ever say anything about any race or we can say anything and use that line of his.

I have actually never seen anyone regardless of nationality, race etc snatch food from someone else's plate like that. Maybe he was actually inside a starving refugee camp where they had not eaten for many days so you know everyone was animalistic bordering on being cannibalistic.

hahahahaha, ok kiddies now you are trying to chang what I said happened, the cook was handing me my eggs and the lady tried to take the plate from the cooks hands as I was about to take it, everyone else was in line behind me and this woman just walked up to stand beside me as the plate was being passed, obviously thought that she didnt have to mix with the peasants. UW, I suggest you read what you write, you stated you have never seen it happen, suggesting it doesnt happen, if all you can do is play kindy games and act totally childish I suggest you find a website for toddlers and get someone to change your diaper because it is obviously full. You dont want to know what happens top other people then dont ask.

We defeated the Russians and saved the world from their nuclear weapons and in doing so brought peace to mankind.

God bless you Ronald Regan.

Oh dear, you really are a sad brainwashed child arn't you.

First, what has that to do with the OP,

Second, we didnt actually defeat them we just outspent them.....and oh dear, now its their turn.

third, getting back to the OP, who I am guessing is chinese, he should be lucky, take a look at how badly Indian's are treated here, and maybe you won't be bitching so much....

regards

Edited by Seismic

>Can you call it racism when one race picks on their own?

No.

Us-vs-them-ism takes all kinds of forms, some without a label - yet 8-)

And some are just NBD.

But to really be rational, wait and see until you've had the chance to observe an individual's behaviour before judging them.

If you can abstain from judging even better, live and let live unless you see significant harm being done. Taking offense just adds to the world's problems.

I would say Brits are number one, they are not only noisy, but also at times, really obnoxious and rude.

Second place, I would say Russians.

>Can you call it racism when one race picks on their own?

No.

Us-vs-them-ism takes all kinds of forms, some without a label - yet 8-)

And some are just NBD.

But to really be rational, wait and see until you've had the chance to observe an individual's behaviour before judging them.

If you can abstain from judging even better, live and let live unless you see significant harm being done. Taking offense just adds to the world's problems.

I agree however Thailand is now a "Melting Pot" with such a variety & ever expanding mix with the Expats, Tourists & Thais (mixes included). With so many different nationalities either already here or coming soon; and no matter West or East. There will never be an end to judgement by another's own values. There isn't a nationally anywhere in this post that is innocent of racism or being biased.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We defeated the Russians and saved the world from their nuclear weapons and in doing so brought peace to mankind.

God bless you Ronald Regan.

Oh dear, you really are a sad brainwashed child arn't you.

First, what has that to do with the OP,

Second, we didnt actually defeat them we just outspent them.....and oh dear, now its their turn.

third, getting back to the OP, who I am guessing is chinese, he should be lucky, take a look at how badly Indian's are treated here, and maybe you won't be bitching so much....

regards

Indians treated badly? Well let's see how they behave. I believe chinese are treated much worse compared to their behavior.

Talked about or actually treated? Big difference.

I think the Thais are much more respectful of khon jiin than khaek.

I don't think we farang have much to do with them at all.

I really want to know why you feel your ox is being gored, what's it to you?

Talked about or actually treated? Big difference.

I think the Thais are much more respectful of khon jiin than khaek.

I don't think we farang have much to do with them at all.

I really want to know why you feel your ox is being gored, what's it to you?

Why khun chin carry themselves much better and not to mention they don't complain of racism if they are called chin right?

Please answer why this topic is so important to you?

Cos it is bias. It is sickening to see ppl make racist remarks towards chinese and think it is ok. The minute chinese are involved somehow it is ok to go ching chang chong without any implications try doing the same with another race like africans or what so ever and somehow people would think it is racist.

Also think about this Why is being called khun Khek which just simply means "indian" racist in thai but somehow if you call someone khon "chin" which means chinese it isn't racist. You are well aware of these double standards and somehow have no problems when chinese bend over backwards to accept these double standards.

WRT your specific example, there is a difference between "kaek" and "jiin", the latter is more specific toward what most people see as one ethnicity.

Whereas kaek comes from "guest" and specifically means to imply they are only to be tolerated as temporary rather than accepted as permanent immigrants.

Plus the fact it's used for Arabs, Persians, the violent history between Pakistani and Indian nationals, the term doesn't correspond with how most people outside Thailand see as a single ethnicity.

I don't think this means "racist" though, I suspect my bar for use of that term is higher than yours.

But back to my main question: I don't want another diatribe from you about your opinion, I am asking why is it so important to you personally, you obviously feel very strongly about the issue? There are a lot of very serious problems in the world, why are you choosing this one in particular to obsess about?

For example, are you of Chinese descent yourself?

WRT your specific example, there is a difference between "kaek" and "jiin", the latter is more specific toward what most people see as one ethnicity.

Whereas kaek comes from "guest" and specifically means to imply they are only to be tolerated as temporary rather than accepted as permanent immigrants.

Plus the fact it's used for Arabs, Persians, the violent history between Pakistani and Indian nationals, the term doesn't correspond with how most people outside Thailand see as a single ethnicity.

I don't think this means "racist" though, I suspect my bar for use of that term is higher than yours.

But back to my main question: I don't want another diatribe from you about your opinion, I am asking why is it so important to you personally, you obviously feel very strongly about the issue? There are a lot of very serious problems in the world, why are you choosing this one in particular to obsess about?

For example, are you of Chinese descent yourself?

I cannot help it if they want to use one blanket term for a number of nationalities/races while they make the distinction between chinese and japanases, koreans and so on.

Why do you care if it's important to me? How does that fix the issue at all?

I noticed you actually didn't answer any of my scenerios except for the khek and chin one.

Have you ever noticed how ppl seem to be very comfortable going ching chang chong when it involves chinese without caring if it's racist.

No personally I haven't noticed anyone making any disparaging comments about Chinese people in real life, at least not since I was in primary school.

People may say they push their kids too hard, pity they can't actually enjoy their childhood have sleepovers etc.

But that's all part of the hardworking ambitious clever stereotype, grudging admiration is the worst one could say.

Maybe just the circles I live in, YMMV of course.

And as far as your personal dog in the hunt goes, I'm simply curious, hardly ever seen anyone with that degree of monomania on a single topic - I'm certainly not trying to "fix" anything which of course is impossible anyway, and certainly not by banging the drum on an online forum.

How about this, hi soceity woman from China, who thinks this is perfectly ok in broad daylight in the moat of Chaing Mai?

post-192707-0-70456200-1394964634_thumb.

• Like 1