Thai farmers to target Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

A decent honest government??????? Is there any country on this planet who has a decent honest government? But, seriously, is there? I would think politicians are the same everywhere.

"don't blame the politicians for your problems. they are merely a reflection of yourselves"

(prot, 1995)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made some inquiries about this thing from non-PAD-Dem sources.

They perceive it as the commercial farmer's wing of the anti-democrat movement threatening the airport. Regardless of protestations to the contrary, just going there is a 'threat'. Shades of the PAD.

According to them, the PAD has never "died," been "finished" or "disbanded." PAD remains the core of the current anti-democrat movement. Its strategists and activists have been at the sharp end of every anti-democratic action since 2005, and they are critically important for the current anti-democrat action, especially now that it is essentially a violent and armed movement.

Another thing they said that was interesting, was to see the plethora of seemingly new Kubota tractors, and referencing some interesting linckages between Kubota and Elitist elements..These farmers would not be doing such a thing without considerable compensation.

Given the anti-UDD/RS/PTP bent of the mainstream media, these linckages and motivations are left largely unexplained. Seeking only to bolster anti-Govt motivations and by extension, anti all those millions whose electoral choice they are trying to nullify.

These imaginary "sources" would you care to share or is this just your thinking and trying to make it credible by evoking the " I was told by reliable people" statement .

"These imaginary "sources" would you care to share....."

Be happy to Barney R.

I live in a heavily populated UDD/RS area and hear their perspective all the time.

Many times my comments channel this POV, as I am primarily a pro-electoral Democracy and anti-coup type, respecting the choices of the Thai electorate.

Being equally exposed to the anti-UDD/RS media, the inconsistencies between the two perspectives jumps out.

It is good to be exposed to both sides, don't you think.

'Some farmers would be heading to Suvarnabhumi Airport, for a purpose he did not specify. But, they insisted that they would not obstruct air traffic or raid the airport. They only wanted to make a symbolic demonstration. After that, this group of farmers will move to other places.'

Makes the newspaper headline appear to be somewhat misleading.

Yeah, right... so why go all the way out to the airport to do this symbol? I think ever since 200x when pad thai only did a symbol by taking over the airport and camping out for several weeks... we know how that went... Since Suthep got the farmers on his side... i am sure he is masterimind as long as he doesn't get the blame... he sure wants to destroy not just the gov't but the whole economy of Thailand... i could not see how he could ever be an elected official when he is an outlaw of a peaceful country... That airport is a magnet for bad luck... hehe i think they like to attack it because S. Taksin was the one who had it built if i remember correctly...

• Like 1

I have to admit, it looks impressive with all those tractors. The farmers mean business and I wish them well. Unless you've worked on a rice farm, you would never know just how hard a life it is, let alone worrying about payment after a hard seasons work. They were treated unfairly and enough is enough.

Yes it seems to me that the farmers have been treated unfairly, I agree with them making protests, the only thing is they should never hit out at the ordinary people going about their business and trying to earn their livelihood. Suthep and the protesters have caused untold inconvenience to ordinary people, as have the red shirts in 2010, and the yellow shirts at the airport.

Here is just one example, I was driving home from Bangkok yesterday, and saw the farmers heading towards Bangkok, they took up the three lanes on the highway stopping all other traffic from passing them. How much inconvenience is that causing innocent people? ie, people going to catch flights, people trying to earn a livelihood etc etc.

Can't all these protesters see what they are doing to innocent people? If I am walking down the street with my wife, minding our own business, and we are attacked and beaten up by a gang, do I form a gang and go and beat up an innocent man and his wife to protest at what people did to me? What is the difference between that and what the protesters are doing?

You poor thing. How many farmers feel the "inconvenience" of being left out in the cold with no money to pay bills, giving land title to loan sharks in order to borrow money, killing themselves out of sheer desperation, etc etc. They want to make a statement that the country will take notice of. If running a business & you were waiting for payment which you need to survive & feed your family would you sit idly by & accept?

• Like 2

looks like brand new tractors, unlike agricultural machinery which is seen in the countryside.

somebody lend them to the farmers?

also it looks like there are several groups, each with a different objective. It seems somebody is playing politics, instead for the farmers to represent themselves.

those national flags on the tractors are worrying, a nationalist card is played too often in thai politics, always against interests of the majority

Toxin sold them these on credit (10%/month) nobody could pay back in 1 y time ,so they all lost their "chanout" and now have to lease

the land from Toxin .Do you still wonder why these farmers vote for Toxin ? Well if they dont ,the lease contract will be ended.

Politic is so simple coffee1.gif

They perceive it as the commercial farmer's wing of the anti-democrat movement threatening the airport. Regardless of protestations to the contrary, just going there is a 'threat'. Shades of the PAD.

According to them, the PAD has never "died," been "finished" or "disbanded." PAD remains the core of the current anti-democrat movement. Its strategists and activists have been at the sharp end of every anti-democratic action since 2005, and they are critically important for the current anti-democrat action, especially now that it is essentially a violent and armed movement.

Another thing they said that was interesting, was to see the plethora of seemingly new Kubota tractors, and referencing some interesting linckages between Kubota and Elitist elements..These farmers would not be doing such a thing without considerable compensation.

Given the anti-UDD/RS/PTP bent of the mainstream media, these linckages and motivations are left largely unexplained. Seeking only to bolster anti-Govt motivations and by extension, anti all those millions whose electoral choice they are trying to nullify.

These imaginary "sources" would you care to share or is this just your thinking and trying to make it credible by evoking the " I was told by reliable people" statement .

"These imaginary "sources" would you care to share....."

Be happy to Barney R.

I live in a heavily populated UDD/RS area and hear their perspective all the time.

Many times my comments channel this POV, as I am primarily a pro-electoral Democracy and anti-coup type, respecting the choices of the Thai electorate.

Being equally exposed to the anti-UDD/RS media, the inconsistencies between the two perspectives jumps out.

It is good to be exposed to both sides, don't you think.

Uh oh! Kubota( a foreign company(Japan)) is participating in the protests, kick that company out of Thailand for breaking the law... cheesy.gif

A decent honest government??????? Is there any country on this planet who has a decent honest government? But, seriously, is there? I would think politicians are the same everywhere.

"don't blame the politicians for your problems. they are merely a reflection of yourselves"

(prot, 1995)

read your name and dont BS

Politicians is the worst mafia in the world.(shit 1995)coffee1.gif

• Like 1

which group of crooked politicos should be in charge of ripping of the populous. Gee, lets fight for the right, the right to rule and rob. Sorry these hard working farmers were dupes enough to believe a govt support scheme that was probably never funded or set up properly.

Maybe they will all learn to not trust mafias whether yellow or red or rainbows.

Lets take to the street to fight for the right to be dictated to by someone different color.

No doubt the farmers are in a tough situation not getting payments and have a right to show their frustrations in the capital. Though the march on Suvarnabhumi Airport as a symbolic demonstration will be lost on foreign visitors who probably are not even aware that Thailand has rice farmers. But to think that getting the present government to step down or be overthrown will in any way accelerate immediate payments is terribly naive.

As we have all witnessed in the last several weeks in articles published ThaiVisa, the issue of payment is complex and beyond the complete control of the government given the propensity of court challenges and indecisions of bank participation. In the alternative the PDRC has no legal authority to disperse government funds nor to obligate the government for borrowed funds even if it overthrew the government unless the Constitution was suspended, albeit not something the PDRC would be shy about doing (again). In terms of international rice sales, again the PDRC has no authority nor recognition as a legitimate negotiator for sale of the rice stocks to deal with foreign customers. And if one were for the sake of argument assume that the PDRC could accomplish everything necessary for it to personally effect rice sales and distribution of proceeds to the rice farmers, we're looking at 1 to 2 years for the 2013 harvest; that doesn't even begin to address the 2014 and 2015 harvests. And what assurances are there that alleged corrpution of the PTP aren't perpetuated by the PDRC-who watches the watchers, especially if the Constitution is suspended?

The alternative to the PDRC "assuming" power is the formation of another interim appointed government. But it will still face the same constitutional challenges (unless suspended) and transaction processes that confounded the PTP government. And what assurances are there that alleged corrpution of the PTP aren't perpetuated by the interim government-ho watches the watchers?

The farmers best hopes for more immediate payments depend on solutions by the current government, the banking community, EC, and BAAC. Even Suthep (aside from any question of sincerity) told the banks to immediately make the necessary loans to the PTP government to effect sales and payments. If the nature of an interim government still presents a barrier to rice sales/payments, it is in the best interest of the farmers and the nation for the remaining elections to take place unimpeded so a parliament quorum can provide the necessary legislation to move rice sales forward quickly.

• Like 1

looks like brand new tractors, unlike agricultural machinery which is seen in the countryside.

also it looks like there are several groups, each with a different objective. It seems somebody is playing politics, instead for the farmers to represent themselves.

those national flags on the tractors are worrying, a nationalist card is played too often in thai politics, always against interests of the majority

Conspiracy aside how does it matter? The government owes 130 billion baht to the farmers.

The NACC has found irregularities and corruption in the rice-pledging scheme and the PM is being called to hear the charges. Its pretty obvious that its a scam of epic proportions and the farmers are suffering.

How can the government expect to sweep this under the carpet? Eventually, be it intervention from 3rd parties or assistance from people who see the injustice, whatever you want to call it, farmers will be heard and the government needs to own up to their incompetence and resign.

60 billion withdrawn in 3 days - sounds like a big scary number until you check the GSB deposits in 2012 which were 1,680 billion.

So citizens against the bank's decision to support the government withdrew less than 4% of the total deposits.

Citizens who support the government's move deposited 30 million.

So for every baht of support (all 30 million of them) there's 2,000 baht of opposition (60 billion).

Conclusion: The bank isn't going to fail for this move but there's more money in opposition than support. Then again, if you don't pay the farmers for the rice they gave the government, how could they possibly put anything in the bank?

Do you know how banks work? They don't have 1,680 Billion Baht in some enormous vault somewhere ...

The vast majority of that money is tied up in investments, loans etc. That is why the bank is described as having 200 Billion Baht of "liquidity" - that is the money that they can access quickly in an emergency.

The GSB was never in any real danger, anyhow. They are owned and run by the Ministry of Finance, AKA the Thai Government. If they had run out of money, the other banks would have queued up to lend them liquid funds.

(prot, 1995)

read your name and dont BS

Politicians is the worst mafia in the world.(shit 1995)coffee1.gif

I think Stickylies has friend or family who is a politician.

Don't know if there's more to this than meets the eye but on my way back to Korat from Pattaya yesterday I passed more than 6 transporters carrying brand new tractors the red/orange Kabuto ones, that was on the 304 north bound.

I'm also due to fly back to work tomorrow as well but never seen any police checkpoints south of Kabin Buri either yesterday.

The builders working on our home also told me this morning that local farmers from Nong Bun Mak and Khonburi were also leaving for Bangkok today my girlfriends family who are rice farmers didn't have rice scheme issues as they sold theirs locally as maybe they didn't meet the requirements for the scheme which to them was a blessing.

No matter what happens these farmers deserve to be paid in full irrespective of your shirt colour!!!

• Like 1

Kind of dumb isn't it. dirt on the blades, do not where you come from but?????

Guess you never walked behind a water buffalo. and a simple till.... I did and I loved it........

It wasn't fun, but I sure loved it at the end......

Wish I really knew where you came from, but then it wouldn't really matter, would it? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No doubt the farmers are in a tough situation not getting payments and have a right to show their frustrations in the capital. Though the march on Suvarnabhumi Airport as a symbolic demonstration will be lost on foreign visitors who probably are not even aware that Thailand has rice farmers. But to think that getting the present government to step down or be overthrown will in any way accelerate immediate payments is terribly naive.

As we have all witnessed in the last several weeks in articles published ThaiVisa, the issue of payment is complex and beyond the complete control of the government given the propensity of court challenges and indecisions of bank participation. In the alternative the PDRC has no legal authority to disperse government funds nor to obligate the government for borrowed funds even if it overthrew the government unless the Constitution was suspended, albeit not something the PDRC would be shy about doing (again). In terms of international rice sales, again the PDRC has no authority nor recognition as a legitimate negotiator for sale of the rice stocks to deal with foreign customers. And if one were for the sake of argument assume that the PDRC could accomplish everything necessary for it to personally effect rice sales and distribution of proceeds to the rice farmers, we're looking at 1 to 2 years for the 2013 harvest; that doesn't even begin to address the 2014 and 2015 harvests. And what assurances are there that alleged corrpution of the PTP aren't perpetuated by the PDRC-who watches the watchers, especially if the Constitution is suspended?

The alternative to the PDRC "assuming" power is the formation of another interim appointed government. But it will still face the same constitutional challenges (unless suspended) and transaction processes that confounded the PTP government. And what assurances are there that alleged corrpution of the PTP aren't perpetuated by the interim government-ho watches the watchers?

The farmers best hopes for more immediate payments depend on solutions by the current government, the banking community, EC, and BAAC. Even Suthep (aside from any question of sincerity) told the banks to immediately make the necessary loans to the PTP government to effect sales and payments. If the nature of an interim government still presents a barrier to rice sales/payments, it is in the best interest of the farmers and the nation for the remaining elections to take place unimpeded so a parliament quorum can provide the necessary legislation to move rice sales forward quickly.

You are presuming that it will be the PDRC in charge ..It will not.

An interim government could be installed, it has happened before. It also has had the backing of the US in the past!

Suthep said that after it seemed that the government had finally gotten an assessment from the Council of State that it would be legal to do so. Then what did the "government "do. They didn't get a loan but got the GSB to give an interbank loan with no reference to the rice scheme ... Why was that?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-195835-1392952698418_thumb.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but the majority of 52% did not want the Shinawatra clan in power.

Take a look at the mess they have made of it and it is easy to understand.

Some how I feel that the farmers were in the 48% that wanted them and now deeply regret it.

On the one hand I deeply regret what has happened to them.

On the other hand it would seem that they are not willing to join the grass roots protestors against corruption. It is only themselves they are thinking of. Give me money and I will go home you are welcome to do what you want to the rest of the nation attitude.

It is this type thinking that will leave the nation divided in the future. They are setting themselves above the general population of Thailand.sad.png

• Like 2

(prot, 1995)

Your username sure suits you, or maybe Rottenlies would be better, it would refer to about 95% of politicians.

(prot, 1995)

Stickylies, politicians????

Did you even look at the picture properly before trying to get your Red spin going? coffee1.gif

If you enlarge the picture, the tractor in the front row on the far right has nearly bald tyres, all the rest have medium wear tyres and are covered in mud and dents.

Oh, don't tell me. It was staged by Suthep. blink.png

Loads of FB posts by anti-govt people claiming these farmers are fake too. Though according to them, it's not staged by Suthep, but rather by Thaksin. Not sure why Thaksin would be organizing a plot against his own government, including setting up fake negotiations where farmers walk out making govt ministers look stupid, but there you have it... they seem to have based this on the fact that the former CTP MP is involved, plus the tractors, plus the fact Chadchart was able to speak to them without being lynched.

Kansas City Shuffle. Something staged shouldn't look like it.

Of course Thaksin knows that the time of this government is over so better use the ongoing changes to prepare and secure a seat.

Shows the real side of Thailand , ripping off their own kind, what chance have we farang,s got......

If any OAPs from the UK decide to go back there, a lot of them will have a choice of either going hungry, or do without heating their homes, or maybe they will be part of the thousands who die every winter with cold related illnesses while the power suppliers keep adding to their vastly obscene profits. I know it has happened, but how many Thai people ever die of cold or starvation?

60 billion withdrawn in 3 days - sounds like a big scary number until you check the GSB deposits in 2012 which were 1,680 billion.

So citizens against the bank's decision to support the government withdrew less than 4% of the total deposits.

Citizens who support the government's move deposited 30 million.

So for every baht of support (all 30 million of them) there's 2,000 baht of opposition (60 billion).

Conclusion: The bank isn't going to fail for this move but there's more money in opposition than support. Then again, if you don't pay the farmers for the rice they gave the government, how could they possibly put anything in the bank?

you see, the way that banking works is that they INVEST the deposits in to a myriad of short-term and long-term investments. 10-20% is left in the form of cash.

They should be scared, they just lost over 30% of their liquidity in 3 days and counting

Ouch!!!! That's going to hurt big time, attacking the heart of amazing Thailand where it starts with the people rice farmers... Technically a great idea from their point of view.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Well done Yingluck, you better flee to Hawaii or Ibiza now, before the rice farmers catch you,... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

why Hawaii?

don't hurt our feelings, we don't need her here.

• Like 1

This story started as 5000 farmers, but why ruin a good story with the truth. It seems they are fake farmers sent by Suthep with all tractors supplied.

via https://www.facebook.com/zenjournalist

A source points out that the tractors being provided to protesting Thai farmers by those trying to topple the elected government are made by Siam Kubota Corp, a joint venture between Kubota Corporation Japan and the Siam Cement Group. Siam Cement is one of the Crown Property Bureau's core holdings. It's more evidence of the involvement of the old elite in the struggle to win control of parliament...

Re; the flags on the tractors, I think they look great. And they are very symbolic because farmers are the real Thailand, they are the oldest industry here, an industry which was until recently the envy of the world. These farmers are right to be patriotic and proud of this nation, and of their agrarian lives. This nation should be proud of itself, despite the corruption and lack of honest leadership. I salute the farmers and also their flag-bearing tractors. They have my eternal admiration and respect.

Are farmers the real Thailand? Is farming the oldest industry here? I think the obvious has been missed out.

Who is paying the fuel ?

Can buy a lot if seeds for the price of that

Cannot blaim them for protest thou

They got screwed many times

Let us hope for a decent honest gov.

Who is paying the fuel ?

More than 20 million donation from Suthep (collected from Bangkok mass) should be enough, shouldn't it.

Exactly what I am hearing

Maybe you are listening to the same group of red shirts then eh?

• Like 1