SC Park Hotel pays rallying monk Buddha Issara Bt120,000 in compensation

webfact

Wow, this monk have power, getting 120.000 Bt out of the sharks mouth. Well done. And farmers now know, that they can vote for the Shins, but not welcomed in their hotels. But the credulous red supporters complain the monk...What an irony....cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

monks are forbidden for handling money

Wherever you received your theological education, you should receive a refund from as there is no such prohibition.

Yeah right! Thai monks should follow the Theravadin Vinaya - have a look at the Nissaggiyas 18 and 19.

Well, I had a look and basically they are a set of very very old rules are they not, and number 18 simply says they are not to say the money is theirs. What is your point? To put the value of the rules in to perspective, number 16 is... the monk must not "Carrying raw wool for more than 48 km."

And at the end of the day, all 30 rules are simply made such that if they are broken then the monk must confess it to another monk, once that is done then all is well. Clearly a set of rules that were nothing to do with Buddha, but the power hungry who came afterwards, trying to use religion to establish their own power base....seems to happen a lot in religion.

the Vinaya has 227 rules in all. Yes, many are arcane but if you're a member of a club then follow that club's rules. Some of the rules regarding public behaviour of monks are followed very strictly, at least in the provinces - such as not touching women or money - while others seem to be ignored, such as monks smoking, which is not explicitly forbidden but surely comes under intoxicating substances.

Anyway, just to lighten the mood, my favourite rule is: do not tickle.

(yes, it's there.)

Edited by focus27

paying 120k for a 4.2k deposit?

sheer madness.

monks are forbidden for handling money, as seen in this pic

I think this is brilliant - business man of the year for sure!!!

He should have asked for double that.....and he would have got it.

Wow, this monk have power, getting 120.000 Bt out of the sharks mouth. Well done. And farmers now know, that they can vote for the Shins, but not welcomed in their hotels. But the credulous red supporters complain the monk...What an irony....cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Thaksin wouldn't want the unwashed soiling his beds would he!!!!

Chalerm will slap a wanted 'dead or alive' warrant on this monk for making Thaksin look more of a fool than he is and wangling money out of him to be spent in other hotels more welcoming!!clap2.gif

So funny!!

Does not look good in the public eye for the monk to accept the compensation and handle the money himself.

I understand he may not give a hoot what people think and is confident that he is doing the right thing, that is fighting injustice and evil, for that I respect his stance, but instead of accepting the dirty shin money he should have insisted that he be given rooms.

I'd really like to see what would become of that stance.

As to who owns what , any check on share a registry, will tell where the Shinawatra's plant their money , that's if they are not hidden behind bogus company names or fake names , that no one knows about.coffee1.gif

Hiding is an issue with even the mother company, Shin Corp

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/705679-suthep-vows-boycott-of-firms-tied-to-shinawatras/page-2#entry7466472

Does not look good in the public eye for the monk to accept the compensation and handle the money himself.

I understand he may not give a hoot what people think and is confident that he is doing the right thing, that is fighting injustice and evil, for that I respect his stance, but instead of accepting the dirty shin money he should have insisted that he be given rooms.

I'd really like to see what would become of that stance.

He did, so they closed the hotel.

sheer madness.

So we now know that you and the monk don't have scruples. I think the validity of question is if the monk should keep his robe and the obvious answer is no.

Being affiliated and/or directly involved with a political group that seeks to vanquish the fundamental principles of democracy, shouldnt teach others how they should live their lives letalong use his so called divine status to influence others on which side they should take.

Thailand has taken its embarrassing status to a new level of absurdity by letting this fake monk roam free.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

Proof the guy is not really a monk but just acting it out. Real monks are not allowed to handle money, and certainly wouldn't be seen doing it in public - his handler is there to do such things.

One other thing smells like Nation BS - the compensation sounds like it was for the whole group booking, not just for monk-E.

You cannot expect objective, investigative journalism from The Nation. Their political allegiance is clear. Their editorials and news reports are pearls of wisdom if you are an unquestionning believer in the cause they support, barely disguised propaganda to everyone else.

I'd wager it's a tad more insightful than your 'analysis' and pearls of 'wisdom.

• Like 1

Proof the guy is not really a monk but just acting it out. Real monks are not allowed to handle money, and certainly wouldn't be seen doing it in public - his handler is there to do such things.

One other thing smells like Nation BS - the compensation sounds like it was for the whole group booking, not just for monk-E.

You cannot expect objective, investigative journalism from The Nation. Their political allegiance is clear. Their editorials and news reports are pearls of wisdom if you are an unquestionning believer in the cause they support, barely disguised propaganda to everyone else.

I'd wager it's a tad more insightful than your 'analysis' and pearls of 'wisdom.

The Nation may not be totally lost but it sure ain't far from it.

sheer madness.

It is not only that monks are not allowed to own chattels and/or money. They are forbidden explicitly by their vows not to engage in politics.

The National Office of Buddhism filed a complaint with the Royal Police that this monk had violated the tenets of the religion..

But, the Media (that in Thailand wants to be an abetter of the Bangkok elite), published yesterday that The Monk had rejected the check for the 120,000 Baht. That assertion was published in The Nation. BP and Khaosod did not.

Now comes this, to justify why The Monk is in politics.

This latest deed of The Monk amounts to extortion with provisions and penalties in the current law of the land.

Did you hear any condemnation from the Yellow Thai Press (before you flame read about the term Yellow Journalism) that it is ethically wrong to even engage in a transaction involving money?

But, TIT, a country that continues losing whatever prestige and image it had and now is veering towards the same terminus as all the banana (rice) republics.

Lastly, paraphrasing the words of a gifted Thai journalist:

"It is not a curse or damnation by the gods that Thai democracy is corrupt and dysfunctional. It is so because our behaviour is corrupt and dysfunctional. We are what we do, and collectively what we do becomes our social norm."

• Like 1

monks are forbidden for handling money

Wherever you received your theological education, you should receive a refund from as there is no such prohibition.

Nissaggiyas 18 and 19: http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/227/30np2.htm#ch----18

Most monks I've seen will not touch money... they will direct you to put it in a donation bowl, pouch, etc. I understand that monasteries usually have a specially designated person who handles money directly. My gf was incredibly shocked by a monk on Koh Samui who requested a specific donation at a temple there and then took the cash directly from me.

Maybe the American mafia can start dressing like monks so they can just say they are being good Buddhists extorting people. Lets see I give you 4.4k baht show up with a bunch of rabble make demands and threats boom 120k baht now that is a racket!

• Like 1

I cannot believe this Buddhist monk's involvement with this hotel. First to book lodging at the SC hotel, then to directly accept any compensation for cancellation beyond what mayment the monk had made. I would also question the hotel's handling of the compensation. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to return the monk's deposit and contribute the balance of the compensation to a temple? What is the monk going to do otherwise, sue the hotel for compensation? Now that would be an interesting civil trial.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This man (I cannot call him a monk) is disgraceful.

He is everything bad about Thailand embodied in one person.

I hate it!

Does being a monk preclude him from having an opinion and acting upon it,what about the multitude of monks who led the protests in Myanmar or the monks who go to the extreme of self emolation in Tibet, all because they act against injustice in the world.

This particular monk is Thai and has chosen to take a stand for the path he believes rightly or wrongly is best for his people and country.
Its called democracy.

No, it's called hypocrisy.

• Like 1

sheer madness.

So we now know that you and the monk don't have scruples. I think the validity of question is if the monk should keep his robe and the obvious answer is no.

Being affiliated and/or directly involved with a political group that seeks to vanquish the fundamental principles of democracy, shouldnt teach others how they should live their lives letalong use his so called divine status to influence others on which side they should take.

Thailand has taken its embarrassing status to a new level of absurdity by letting this fake monk roam free.

This so called fake monk has done more for Thailand than other monks that sit in temples and preside over funeral rites.

He has strong views and some other unusual traits but you can see the awe and respect on the PTP/police negotiators faces when they are discussing with him - what's more, what he say's is final and they abide by it in a similar fashion to listening to their paymaster.

You have to admit, that apart from it being outrageous, to be paid what he asked for in compensation with no quibbles is a masterpiece of complaining!!!

sheer madness.

Sounds like Thaksin should be your hero, not your boogeyman.

sheer madness.

This so called fake monk has done more for Thailand than other monks that sit in temples and preside over funeral rites.

He has strong views and some other unusual traits but you can see the awe and respect on the PTP/police negotiators faces when they are discussing with him - what's more, what he say's is final and they abide by it in a similar fashion to listening to their paymaster.

You have to admit, that apart from it being outrageous, to be paid what he asked for in compensation with no quibbles is a masterpiece of complaining!!!

Point is being a monk is not the same thing as being part of a political organization. If he wants to be part of PDRC, fine go ahead but take off that robe.

Their mandate is limited to the living accordingly to Dharma and the 5 precept rules. Please point out where it says a monk can go beyond these and leave your personal opinions aside.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 2

When we first moved to this estate, the wife dragged me out of bed to 'make merit' on our first morning - she's not even Buddhist &lt;deleted&gt;....- more out of a sense of good luck and all that.

I was in the garden with the staff and a few neighbours when the monks came on thieir rounds. The Thais did their bit when the monks came along. I was hungover like a dog and keen to get back to the DvD documentary on Norwegian Black Metal I'd just nicked off Big malc, so I pulled out me tabs and sparked one up, ignoring the wife's digs in my ribs.

All of a sudden one of the monks came trotting over and with an eloquent 'You,you,you:" the gent indicated he'd like a tab so I proffered him the pack and the cheeky sod took one out which he gave to me and "whoosh" the pack vanished into the folds of his robes". He was lucky I had a morning head on me or I'd have had the rascal....

• Like 1