Monthly budget

Brian

I did write that "I suppose for the new members it can be good info" so I see your concern saorsa.

Everybody is a newbie at one point, I suppose.

It's not the questions asked per se that bother me, it's the same bickering that results. 5 years on and there has been no development in the discussion. I suppose this is what is to be in the General Forum, as it's nature is that of generality and therefore can become quite repetitive.

I do enjoy other threads where there is a dynamic discussion that changes over time, things change and views change -- for instance the Global Correction thread in the Jobs Forum. Bickering and name-calling is still there, but if you take a step past that, the real discussion is still there and developing.

I spend most of my time in the Motoring Forum, as it's a personal interest of mine. While we do get some of the same questions i.e. "Can I import my car from _____ to Thailand?," the other discussions have seemed to evolve with the times.

Can't we just sticky the topics that come up over and over again? Because if you look at past replies compared to present ones, they are essentially exactly the same (as I pointed out in the Farang Jumping to Death Thread -- 5 years on, same questions, same answers).

What are you rambling about. I wouldn’t be a happy boy if my name was brian. The dog out of family guys name Brian. The rest of what you said I have no GDF idea wat it all means.

My avatar? Better then yours .. Why do you have 2 blurd out condoms? Sick dude..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RukJung, you dug up a 5 YEAR OLD thread?

The OP posted in 2003.

It seems we always get this question in one form or another, and I suppose for the new members it can be good info. But frankly, the going over the same topic over and over is getting boring. There is an interesting consistency in the questions asked, and a consistency in the manner in which they are answered.

I'm pretty new to this forum, so I dont mind the digging up of old threads. I think some of you oldtimers need to kick back and let us noobs ask the same shit again since

1. things change over the years

2. we cant be @rsed having to search through old threads to find opinions/information we want (since for my self at least, I am lazy and most posts do not have clear and concise topics to make it easy to find what i want).

That’s what I was thinking too. some stuff I want to get down on paper. Personal research and I cant be stuffed searching for them all.

Now I got to care about mr shirlock homes here acusing me to be old people… lets see 5 years ago. I would be 19 years old..

Lean to use a IP sniffer you tool

This may be an old thread but I'll throw in my stats:

Housing (1 BR 60sq meter serviced apartment BKK): 25000 with a yearly lease, included: maid, linens changed 1x week and high speed WiFi.

Electricity: 8000-9000, brutal, it's the AirCon that kills me.

Water: 400

Laundry: 800-1200

Food: 1500 a week

UBC Truevisions Digital Satellite Platinum with Discovery, Disney, and HBO packages: 2500

Not much for partying or drink. My only vise is smoking. Married to Filipina so no TGF or family to support here.

With $4000 US a month from Veteran's disability and Social Security. So living pretty comfortably and able to save a fair amount.

It also helps that I know and use the MRT subway, BTS skytrain and BMTA buses. It saves on the taxi fares.

Morgage = 35k per month

wifes car= 10 per month on finance

my car 20k per month finance

petrol for both around 8-10k month, i drive a lot for work

maid 6,500 month

insurance for car, house and health for myself the wife and baby around 12k month

me going out eating drinking anywhere between 5k and 15k month :o

wife going out drinking 0 k per month :D

we spend to much, but we both work hard for our money so why not enjoy it. it will have to slow down soon because school fees are just around the corner.

lol dirk,there is always one muppet who invents a huge amount that he lives on.Some snobbish remarks too,and implying nobody has a pension in the future to increase their potential.Also most people have said the amount is what they live on and not the amount they have,a big difference.Many of us can go stupid and spend more but its what type of standard do you want.The very last thing i want is go out to swanky places and mingle with the big boys,cant think of anything more boring.

Crappy one room apartment that I've swapped the advantages of being born in the west for - 2000

food (one street meal a day with a weekly treat of one fruit portion) 500

buses (not air-con, cos that's for softies) 300

beer (I prefer to buy in bulk from the wholesaler to save money) 30000

clothes (1 new beer chang singlet a month) 150

laundry (who can be bothered? it's not that hot here)

Total .. just short of 33,000. I'm thinking of trading down my accomodation to enable more beer.

Living i rural Issan is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.Can spend 20k or 40k it depends if you eat out all the time or not,Beer is cheap,Petrol same everywhere,Water 60 baht a month,electric 800 baht a month.UBC 1560 baht,internet 1500

food farang food can be dear Thai food very cheap.

Living in a city well its the same as your own country you tend to spend more as there is a lot more to do

My problem is that I can't seem to spend anywhere near my original budget. So far this year, I have averaged 10k a month but I'm single :o, ride a bicycle to get around locally, my choice :D, cook 1/2 of my vegetarian meals which I enjoy, rarely drink except for an occasional beer (my choice). My simple lifestyle seems to keep my expenses, low low low, even for Thailand. Even if I was fortunate to find a nice gf with no children or family obligations who would enjoy my simple life, that might increase my expenses by 10k to 15k per month. Still well below my budget.

''We wont be going out, the only expense will be 250 baht a day on the food we will buy from the the van thats comes around our complex.''

Now that has made me laugh :o:D

Laugh as much as you like, Im happy with spending with 250 baht on fresh food everyday for me and wife, anymore and we would have to bin it! whats the point in that? When i get the car back on thursday i might go and spend 6000 baht in a day, Its up to the individual how they live john, Dont look down on people because of there spending habits!

Now i hope you choke on that lobster you were pretended that you were going to eat!

Ps if your spending 80,000 per month you must be one of those guys who works there ass off in the west for a few months sacrificing everything to be able to live in los for a couple of months per year or and retired old man!

Edited by tomuk76

Ps if your spending 80,000 per month you must be one of those guys who works there ass off in the west for a few months sacrificing everything to be able to live in los for a couple of months per year or and retired old man!

80,000 a month? Paaaaahhhh . . . chickenfeed. I can piss that much up against the wall on a damned good night out.

I'll get my coat.

Crappy one room apartment that I've swapped the advantages of being born in the west for - 2000

Total .. just short of 33,000. I'm thinking of trading down my accomodation to enable more beer.

I dont beleive you bendix! Cmon tell us the truth, i know you dont drink beer at all. You spend 3000 a month dont you? you tight git!

I dont beleive you bendix! Cmon tell us the truth, i know you dont drink beer at all. You spend 3000 a month dont you? you tight git!

OK . you caught me out in a lie. Mea culpa. My entire monthly spend is 3000 baht a month.

Times are tough, my dear old friend. There's a global meltdown going on, doncha know? One must be frugal.

80,000 a month? Paaaaahhhh . . . chickenfeed. I can piss that much up against the wall on a damned good night out.

I'll get my coat.

maybe i could budget for 80k per month but i dont need to spend that much so why do it?

Im just curioius about john the one who seems to talk down to people all the time on TV. Just wanna know if thats his budget for 12 months of the year or 2 months of the year???

80k a month is not much; in one big spending month I've blown more than that:

40 Zegna suit

50 new watch

40 mortage/car payment

10 new tires

20 membership at resort

20 4 trips to resort

20 trip to Jomtien each week

20 general eating and stuff

10 going out

5 electricity/water

5 phone

240k per month.

But normal month you can deduct the resort rubbish and also the suit/watch/tires....so normally 60k is the absolute minimum for me. And that's not amortising the 500k a year I spend on boats/sports/travel. Incidentally, resort is not a knock shop, it is just a fun night out, but the costs sure add up.

Actually, I can think of a few dinners which are around 10k a time. And so 80k is not actually that much at all.

I can think of a few friends running harems and the like that spend 240k every month!

The key thing is that you don't need to make 240k to have a single month like this, but if you are scraping by on 20k then how can you save to blow all the cash in one almighty burst like this?

BTW I am not 'one of those guys who works there ass off in the west for a few months sacrificing everything to be able to live in los for a couple of months per year or and retired old man' that's like Bendix I think.

I am more one of those 'waiter/actor/model/retired old man' types earning just local wages.

Edited by steveromagnino

"Need" = for survival I'd say THB 10k a month.

Current spending to live the life I want with family averages around THB 150k outgoings.

Past experiences of trying different lifestyles over the years averaging between THB 30k and THB 300k per month outgoings, depending on the phase I was going thru: working/not working, single/married, studying, travelling around etc... :o

Funny how a five year old thread got absolutely ZERO responses when it was posted then now has over 50...

Piss!ng up the wall contests weren't as popular 5 years ago as now, obviously. :o

I allow myself around 80k /month for wine, women, and song. The luxuries are extra.

BTW I am not 'one of those guys who works there ass off in the west for a few months sacrificing everything to be able to live in los for a couple of months per year or and retired old man' that's like Bendix I think.

I am more one of those 'waiter/actor/model/retired old man' types earning just local wages.

Which local is that, Hollywood, Bollywood, Paris, London, Rome, don't tell me Thaillywood?

:o:D

Funny how a five year old thread got absolutely ZERO responses when it was posted then now has over 50...

Piss!ng up the wall contests weren't as popular 5 years ago as now, obviously. :D

It was during a time when people checked prior posts and recognized trolls better... :o

Which local is that, Hollywood, Bollywood, Paris, London, Rome, don't tell me Thaillywood?

:o:D

Thighland.