Best camera phone to take good pictures at night

tlcwaterfall

Do I smell an Apple fanboy in this thread ?

Why is it always Apple buyers who feel the need to aggressively defend their products? Perhaps it's because after over-paying for a device they feel the need to justify their decision?

Anyway - the OP was not asking about the most overpriced phone made in China with a titchy screen and no SD card - he was asking about the best camera for low light and my vote goes for the LG G2 on account of it's optically stabilized lens which helps to keep thing in focus in low light.

(Queue Apple fanboys vocal defense of the 5S then we can get back on topic)

• Like 1

Lg g2 camera has serious overexposing problems and op is an iphone user so why not recommend an ip5s with good resale value?

Apple users defend their phone against android fanboys' hate attacks only. I see iHaters in this topic, smells like jealousy.

Lg g2 camera has serious overexposing problems and op is an iphone user so why not recommend an ip5s with good resale value?

Apple users defend their phone against android fanboys' hate attacks only. I see iHaters in this topic, smells like jealousy.

Your points about him being a current iPhone user are relevant. If you like IOS then great. If not, not so great. Personally I dislike IOS but the 7 update was a great improvement in many ways in its userability for a phone rather than an iPod.

The rest is just stupid childish sniping. I wonder have you actually used the phones your sniping about?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've used several android phones and I was between buying LG G2 and iPhone 5S. I almost bought G2 but decided not to due to camera problems.

For me screen size is irrelevant as I use iPad Air for browsing, social networking.

Android phones has too many problems, but if one wants an Android phone with good camera, needs to dig more before decide.

As I said before, Z1 is outdated and very bad screen.

Galaxy S4 is bad in low light, very good in daytime.

LG G2 has camera problems, which is over and under exposing.

Galaxy S5 is the ugliest phone design I've ever seen, but camera may be promising. But then I'll pick Sony Z2 over Galaxy S5 any given day.

HTC One camera is not working as good as it should be (check reviews, samples).

On the other hand, Nokia Lumia 1020 beats all other cameras due to extremely large sensor size.

Just google "lumia 1020 low light photos" and see for yourself.

I've used several android phones and I was between buying LG G2 and iPhone 5S. I almost bought G2 but decided not to due to camera problems.

For me screen size is irrelevant as I use iPad Air for browsing, social networking.

Android phones has too many problems, but if one wants an Android phone with good camera, needs to dig more before decide.

As I said before, Z1 is outdated and very bad screen.

Galaxy S4 is bad in low light, very good in daytime.

LG G2 has camera problems, which is over and under exposing.

Galaxy S5 is the ugliest phone design I've ever seen, but camera may be promising. But then I'll pick Sony Z2 over Galaxy S5 any given day.

HTC One camera is not working as good as it should be (check reviews, samples).

On the other hand, Nokia Lumia 1020 beats all other cameras due to extremely large sensor size.

Just google "lumia 1020 low light photos" and see for yourself.

Cool. I'm happy enough with my Moto G . Cost me 5,000b. Love it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have seen a friend take a picture without flash with his Nokia Lumia in a dark club, and I couldn't believe my eyes when he showed me the result.

yup, that's post-Stephen Elop Nokia alright... fantastic Nokia hardware with the abomination of Windows slapped onto it. The downfall of Nokia really ought to be a management course in "How Not To Do Things" in the future. And the Nokia board should be lined up and shot for what they allowed to happen on their watch.

First: Nokia 1020. Second Sony Xperia Z1. All other cameraphones have tiny sensors and small aperture lenses so will struggle at night. IPhone 5 is nice all rounder but OP asked about night shots. So it's down to operating system really - if you can tolerate Windows get the Nokia, if you want Android, get the Z1. There's some reviews of the Z1 that rate it pretty average - but the reviewers just didn't use it long enough to get the best out of it and they probably did not upgrade the camera app.

I am pleased with my Z1 - and it's Songkran proof!

How about the Z1 Compact? (Does anyone know if it's coming to Thailand? It's launching in Singapore already)

On top of which, if you really want to get into photography, you can attach one of these babies to it:

http://store.sony.com/-/cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-Q-Series-Cameras?SR=hero:camera:QX100:ss

Z1 has a terrible tft screen. Nokia 1020 is nice but windows phone lacks several apps.
Newcoming sony z2 will have a nicer camera and bigger sensor.

Z1 screen is not "terrible". It is fine. There are better screens but the Z1 screen is fine for use.

Z1 screen is terrible. Anyone days its ok, never seen an ips panel telephone. Who uses tn panel on a flagship phone anyway? Oppo find 5 released before sony z1 and it had great ips 1080p screen.

I have every iPhone since the first one launched in 2007. I like them. I also have a Z1. It's screen is fine.

Many Chinese manufacturers aren't paying the full spread of patent licences that established players (easier litigation targets) have to, so their bill of materials is lower. As the Chinese manufacturers scale up they're going to find the patent mafia knocking on their door asking for money. Lenovo bought Motorola (Google kept the patents but the deal includes the patents to allow them to subsequently cross licence for defensive purposes) because their ambitions are going to put them in the crosshairs of any troll with a piece of paper. Oppo etc. aren't there yet.

OP. maybe check out the I-mobile IQX-OCTO

a droidsans test seemed to show decent low light camera(although some of the daylight colours seemed off)

http://droidsans.com/review-lenovo-vibe-z-vs-i-mobile-iq-x-octo-part-2

Unfortunately mtk chips have terrible isp (image processor) so i would advise against it.

AND yet you have never used one!

the "new" chip in question...MT6589

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/11/mediatek-mt6589-everything-you-need-to-know/

Edited by casualbiker

a droidsans test seemed to show decent low light camera(although some of the daylight colours seemed off)

Unfortunately mtk chips have terrible isp (image processor) so i would advise against it.

Bold claims from someone who knows nothing about me. I sell these chinese mtk phones and i used atleast 12 different mtk phones from single core to eight cores.

Bold claims from someone who knows nothing about me. I sell these chinese mtk phones and i used atleast 12 different mtk phones from single core to eight cores.

Excellent! So you have used the mt6589 chip.. what phone was it in!

also it wasn't a "bold" claim. It was an observation based on the fact you didn't actually say that you had used that chipset.

By the way I have never used it either. That's why I posted the droidsans review.

I've used mtk6575, 6577, 6589, 6589, 6582, 6572, 6572w (3g), 6592 (octa core).

One of my favourite phones, zopo c2 (zopo zp980) had best camera among these phones, but it was clear that Image signal processor in MTK chip was limiting factor in that telephone's camera.

There are several high end mtk chinese phone with sony IMX sensor but they perform poorly compared to samsung/lg/htc/youname it why? Because of poor optical lens choice and most importantly, poor ISP inside soc.

Good ISP is very important for low light / high iso situations, which is the OP's question (Low light good performing camera)

• Like 1