One Of Life's Imponderables

Artisan

Why is it that whenever we visit one of the local supermarkets (Big C, Lotus or Carrefour) we find that, out of 20 to 30 checkouts, only a handful are open.... and with long queues at certain times of the day?

However, take a walk around the TV, computer, electronic goods display and there are always 20 or 30 idle young sales assistants, usually skylarking or lurking....or tailing you in the hope that you are wanting to buy something.

Edited by Artisan

Or how about when you go to Carrefoure to pay the phone bill at the telecom shop opposite the checkouts.

Two girls always sitting behind the desk at computers, long Q at one girl while the other puts her makeup on or does the fingernailes, where got customer service with that kind of stuff going on?

Edited by Rimmer

I've often been thinking the same. Thai effeciency perhaps :o

or Thai logic?......it's the same everywhere in Thailand.

Your first taste of service after a purchase? :D

What's the connection Marco? The point is that I haven't purchased yet!

The worst one in my opinion is Tops....infact the last time I was there, there was a queue of about 8 people and only one checkout operator, who was so slow that if she had been any slower she would have grown a shell on her back!

I waited with my hand basket for a few minutes and then the operator left the till to queery the price of a product and proceeded to go to the other side of the supermarket.

Another half minute went by and that was the last straw for me. I walked past the queue and put my full basket on the check out counter and the American guy who had been infront of me said " You know they really don`t deserve our business!".......Exactly!! I walked out and left them their goods.

I find that Big C 2nd Road is pretty good on the whole for service and the operators efficient.

Carrefours can be ok if quiet, but I have yet to see the huge line of checkout tills fully manned.

Tesco North road can be hit and miss and some of the checkout operators there can be just plain stupid and I have had problems on a few occasions where prices are not the same as they should be when rung up on the till and the operators pretend to be dumb. Also for some reason We have been stopped and the bags searched on two occasions as were leaving ( the same `butch` lady guard). I find this very offensive and believe me they got a tongue lashing.

Yes Artisan.....lots of profit to be made on the electrical goods....hence a host of would be helpful

assistants.

Ah! but who cares TIT we`ve got all day haven`t we? :o

The worst one in my opinion is Tops....infact the last time I was there, there was a queue of about 8 people and only one checkout operator, who was so slow that if she had been any slower she would have grown a shell on her back!

I waited with my hand basket for a few minutes and then the operator left the till to queery the price of a product and proceeded to go to the other side of the supermarket.

Another half minute went by and that was the last straw for me. I walked past the queue and put my full basket on the check out counter and the American guy who had been infront of me said " You know they really don`t deserve our business!".......Exactly!! I walked out and left them their goods.

I find that Big C 2nd Road is pretty good on the whole for service and the operators efficient.

Carrefours can be ok if quiet, but I have yet to see the huge line of checkout tills fully manned.

Tesco North road can be hit and miss and some of the checkout operators there can be just plain stupid and I have had problems on a few occasions where prices are not the same as they should be when rung up on the till and the operators pretend to be dumb. Also for some reason We have been stopped and the bags searched on two occasions as were leaving ( the same `butch` lady guard). I find this very offensive and believe me they got a tongue lashing.

Yes Artisan.....lots of profit to be made on the electrical goods....hence a host of would be helpful

assistants.

Ah! but who cares TIT we`ve got all day haven`t we? :o

Tops is definitly the worst in the entire town, two times I've got to the front of the Q and two times they put the 'closed next till' notice up. Third time I dumped the basket and walked out, never been back and never will.

They could all learn from Foodland.

Maybe the guard at Lotus caught site of the red bushy tail under the old raincoat and thought aye aye there's a foxy looking charecter if ever I saw one... :D

Well could it be they are trained for only one job, and checkout isn't part of it? :o

You're probably right there...but it's a maddening way of organising and deploying staff. But as Pattaya Fox has said "lots of profit to be made on the electrical goods"

Well they could cut the useless staff in the electrical goods department and spend some of the money on more cachiers instead.

Absolutely, or spend some of the same money on training these skylarking assistants to cover the check-outs during busy periods.

Absolutely, or spend some of the same money on training these skylarking assistants to cover the check-outs during busy periods.

You might be right, but this for sure would be a demotion.

assistants.

Ah! but who cares TIT we`ve got all day haven`t we? :D

Tops is definitly the worst in the entire town, two times I've got to the front of the Q and two times they put the 'closed next till' notice up. Third time I dumped the basket and walked out, never been back and never will.

They could all learn from Foodland.

Maybe the guard at Lotus caught site of the red bushy tail under the old raincoat and thought aye aye there's a foxy looking charecter if ever I saw one... :D

post-15964-1148904638.gif

Thank goodness she/he doesn`t do body searches or can madsere elighten us there?? :o

I've often been thinking the same. Thai effeciency perhaps :D

or Thai logic?......it's the same everywhere in Thailand.

Your first taste of service after a purchase? :D

What's the connection Marco? The point is that I haven't purchased yet!

Yes technically you haven't purchased yet, but how many people do dump their basket after a couple of kms up and down the aisles?

You see, they don't have your money yet , but already have found a way to screw you. What I meant in my Itanglish ,just a taste of what will come later :D:o:D

( I must admit this stuff is nothing compared to what happens in Italy) :D

Edited by KhunMarco

Thank goodness she/he doesn`t do body searches or can madsere elighten us there?? :D

My wife came out one day with a trolley full of goods, all in plastic bags, suddenly he walks out in front of her and demand in an arrogant way to see her receipt. I told him to get lost or get the manager. Manager came down, and to make a long story short, many apologies from the manager later we walked out (still without showing anything) and haven't been back since.

I don't mind being challenged by a security guard if they do it with tact and respect but ... it seems thats not in the curriculum of Thai supermarket security.

I wonder what would happen if they tried it on a hi-so Thai :o

Edited by madsere

If all you whingers only realized you were in Thailand and not your wonderful home countries then all this trivial nonsense about supermarket queues etc wouldn't bother you so much.

What boring lives you must all lead if this is what you complain about. You are worse than the blue rinse brigade back home in blighty collecting the pensions on a wet monday morning.

The c.unt can leave his country but the country cant leave the c.unt. Leave your ideals and expectations at the airport and you will find life isn't as bad as you think.

If all you whingers only realized you were in Thailand and not your wonderful home countries then all this trivial nonsense about supermarket queues etc wouldn't bother you so much.

What boring lives you must all lead if this is what you complain about. You are worse than the blue rinse brigade back home in blighty collecting the pensions on a wet monday morning.

The c.unt can leave his country but the country cant leave the c.unt. Leave your ideals and expectations at the airport and you will find life isn't as bad as you think.

Strange that you have a thing about ladies pee things when you bat from the other side....your posts are as wonderful as ever.....and you are still true to style as Grumpy Dumpy post-15964-1148914138.gif

The staff that hover like bees, in the electrical department are on commissions for certain brands sold. Never listen to them. They will quite cunningly assure you that their chosen 'brand' is the best and that if you choose the other, it will break-down as soon as you reach home.

TOPS is the worst; I agree. But the staff are not to blame; it is the management.

Carrefour is O.K. (Pattaya Klang):just don't go during a busy time; morning is best. Avoid the 2pm-5.00pm alcohol ban as well.

I really don't believe that here is any worse than England. Plus in England the check-out staff are rude, ugly, dirty, smelly, and social misfits. At least here in Thailand they are clean and apologetic and count my change six times.

I prefer Thai supermarkets.

Strange that you have a thing about ladies pee things when you bat from the other side....your posts are as wonderful as ever.....and you are still true to style as Grumpy Dumpy post-15964-1148914138.gif

So you are all whinging about supermarkets and Thai staff in general, yet I'm the grumpy one.

It's a pity they don't have horses and hounds in Pattaya then one could eradicate all invasive pests.

Well, well, Rumpster....although I know nothing about the nature of your previous posts on the Forum, this acrimonious and offensive post of yours says volumes about you. You missed the point of the original post completely...and don't tell me that you didn't, as I should know; I am the original poster.

It is a fact of life that supermarket retailing in Thailand needs some rationalisation and improvement.

Your vitriolic and abusive attitude sums you up......and you bowl from the other end at the same time? Wow!!!!

I really don't believe that here is any worse than England. Plus in England the check-out staff are rude, ugly, dirty, smelly, and social misfits. At least here in Thailand they are clean and apologetic and count my change six times.

I prefer Thai supermarkets.

Spoken like a true idiot.

sorry i ment troll.

bcause you have never been to the uk, or you would never say rubish like that.

Staff in shops in the uk are well trained and are a thousand times better at there jobs.

then people thailand. no disrespect to the thais but its true.

Have a nice day, in Thailand as that must be your place of birth and the only place you know.

:o

sorry i ment troll.

Staff in shops in the uk are well trained and are a thousand times better at there jobs.

Have a nice day, in Thailand as that must be your place of birth and the only place you know.

:D

uh oh...erm , can we all agre about the ugly part :o:D

sorry i ment troll.

:D

uh oh...erm , can we all agre about the ugly part :o:D

Ok, but only the ones from Scunthorpe. :D

This post is quite disgraceful and quite simply designed to cause trouble.

This post is quite disgraceful and quite simply designed to cause trouble.

I agree with Mr. Rimmer. This is the most disgraceful, offensive and abusive post that I have ever had the misfortune to read on TV Forum. This man, and the likes of him, are the blight of this Forum. I am aware that some posters try to take the p1ss and wind up other members deliberately, but the Forum would be better off without this man and his shameful ranting posts.

What a ....... :o

Dumpster.........in this one I agree completely!!!!!

Well, well, Rumpster....although I know nothing about the nature of your previous posts on the Forum, this acrimonious and offensive post of yours says volumes about you. You missed the point of the original post completely...and don't tell me that you didn't, as I should know; I am the original poster.

It is a fact of life that supermarket retailing in Thailand needs some rationalisation and improvement.

Your vitriolic and abusive attitude sums you up......and you bowl from the other end at the same time? Wow!!!!

It's a fact that 99,9% of the foreigners, visiting a Thai supermarket, never visited a supermarket in their home country. If so, than you would have been noticed, that supermarkets in our homecountries are not different from the ones in Thailand. Compared to many supermarkets in France, Germany, Holland and Sweden, the Carrefours/Big C's, Lotuses aren't that bad. No opinion on Tops; never have been there.

Please remember that a western supermarket in a foreign country has to work with the system and the people there.