Jomtien Second Road

Artisan

The following piece of news is extracted from the Pattaya Mail, Friday May 26 - June 1, 2006:

Land surrender prices announced for Jomtien Second Road

The Deputy Governor of Chonburi has declared that surrender of land to the government for the construction of a new highway has been set at a fair price to the landowners, and has announced the initial scale of prices.

On May 16, the Deputy Governor called a meeting of all parties concerned and said that the various committees had agreed upon land prices for the highway, which will run for a length of 7.69 kilometers and be 30 meters wide with six lanes.

Prices of the surrendered land will be calculated in five different sections along the construction length. The first length will be from Thappraya Road to the Matchanu Curve. The second length will be from the Matchanu Curve to the Mae Sriruan Restaurant crossroads. The third length will be from the Mae Sriruan Restaurant crossroads to the Bunkanchanaram Temple. The fourth length will be from Bunkanchanaram Temple to Soi Chaiyapruk, and the fifth length will be from Soi Chaiyapruk to Sukhumvit Road......

The first length from Thappraya Road to the Matchanu Curve will have 171 surrendered plots, with the price set for a large plot being 14,000 baht, and a small plot 16,000 baht. The second length from the Matchanu Curve to the Mae Sriruan Restaurant crossroads has a set price for a large plot at 12,000 baht, and a small plot at 14,000 baht. The other three lengths need additional surveying, and will have a price set during the next meeting.

Khomsan said that the price differed according to the area land value. In the event there is a road that already crosses a plot, then the price will be higher, because it is considered that area is prosperous.....

Has anyone seen the proposed route of this Jomtien Second Road? A 30-metre wide six-lane road? The City hall told me that it will be classed as an "Expressway", whatever that means! What do the owners/residents of the Majestic group of properties think about this as the new road will pass right by their front doors? Jomtien Beach Condominium will be split in two also; any personal feelings about this?

There are two plots of land on the north side of Soi Wat Boon which were for sale; each plot was about 460 square wah in area. The "For Sale" signs have been removed and small block and brick residential or retail outlet structures are being built rapidly with a small access road. Does this redefine these plots as being "prosperous". Looking to a 'more satisfactory' compulsory purchase maybe?

30 meters wide with six lanes.

Thats bloody huge :D so each lane is going to be 5 metres wide? what are they expecting to drive down there, jumbo jets? An average lorry is just over 2 metres wide :D so what are they going to do with the other 3 metres? :o

Thats bloody huge :D so each lane is going to be 5 metres wide? what are they expecting to drive down there, jumbo jets? An average lorry is just over 2 metres wide :D so what are they going to do with the other 3 metres? :o

Set up ramshackle and noisy Thai Karaoke Bars?

The plans for 2nd Road are on view at Jomtien Beach Condo ( the surveyors were there last week).

The route follows Jomtien Soi 9 until it does the right angle turn to the beach at the rubbish tip, it then follows a straight line through JBCondo splitting the two pools, those in buildings S1 and S2 shouldn't be inconvenienced too much apart from the noise at the pool, however the residents of buildings A1,2 and 3 are effectively cut off from the beach and I would imagine are not best pleased.

Having spent an hour in a taxi from Soi Chayapruk (sp) to the condo on a Thai bank holiday, I believe there is a real need for 2nd Road and then the 3rd Road which is planned.

The amount of development in the area mans that Beach Road can no longer cope.

The plans for 2nd Road are on view at Jomtien Beach Condo ( the surveyors were there last week).

The route follows Jomtien Soi 9 until it does the right angle turn to the beach at the rubbish tip, it then follows a straight line through JBCondo splitting the two pools, those in buildings S1 and S2 shouldn't be inconvenienced too much apart from the noise at the pool, however the residents of buildings A1,2 and 3 are effectively cut off from the beach and I would imagine are not best pleased.

Having spent an hour in a taxi from Soi Chayapruk (sp) to the condo on a Thai bank holiday, I believe there is a real need for 2nd Road and then the 3rd Road which is planned.

:o before you get down to the bloody rubblish area, have you now seen the disgrace new market come dodgem track blahing music, and gypsies, just arrived from issan who have now settled in the area, I am buggared if I know why the city hall have allowed this disgusting site / market. to continue, does anyone know who owns the land, obviously the land owner is not concerned as long as they get the bahts. I dont know how anyone could live around that area. obviously do nothing to prevent this disgusting site, and I tell you what it is getting bigger by the day, and a sight to see so many men having their daily wash etc, and where do they shit etc?????????? how could you sell if you live in this area. and paid so much

Don't forget the double parking will take up 2 lanes each side, that leaves just 10 metres for driving - sounds about right. :D:D

Don't forget the double parking will take up 2 lanes each side, that leaves just 10 metres for driving - sounds about right. :o:D

Now that is funny, same as beach road Jomtien.

it will also give the baht bus drivers a better lap of jomtien to honk there horns all day long

at people walking the opisite way, great stuff.

Have a nice day.

I heard about this proposal nearly 6 years ago but about 2 years ago, I visited the Planning Office of the City Hall and asked about the plans for Jomtien Second Road, where would it be and when would the work start? At that time, there were 5 separate proposals relating to its route.

1. The first, and very ambitious, option was to build an elevated highway (similar to the Bang Na/Chonburi elevated highway) joining the flyover at the end of Third Road (the flyover that heads to Bali Hi Pier) and following the Thappraya Road up to the right hand bend at the end of Soi 9 Jomtien. The route after that was still being discussed.

2. Next, there was a proposal to widen Thappraya Road at ground level, continue with this widening along the back road, splitting Jomtien Beach Condominium into two parts, and linking with Soi Wat Boon near to the Blind Beggar Pub.

3. The third proposal was to follow the back road and then turn east passing Jomtien Hills Bungalow Resort, continuing over undeveloped land and then turn south past Angket Condominium and link up with Soi Wat Boon about 200 meters east of the Blind Beggar Pub.

4. Proposal 4 was to continue up to Soi 9, but then divert east through empty land for about 700 - 800 metres and then turn south to link up with Soi Wat Boon at the Blind Beggar Pub.

5. The final proposal was to make a direct link from Thepprasit Road, passing the new Sports Complex and Water Park, and joining Soi Wat Boon near to the temple at the eastern end.

Whatever the option, I was told that the road would be classed as an "Expressway" and there were five different feasibility studies taking place, each led by a surveying engineer. I talked to one of these surveying engineers, actually surveying one of the routes, and he said that nothing had been decided about the route after Soi 9 yet.

It's all about the cost to Chonburi Province when the required land is purchased, hence the proposed meeting reported in the Pattaya Mail. Developed land would be expensive, so who knows?

The plans exhibited in Jomtien Beach Condominium show just the second proposal which affects the condo directly. Indeed, the planned route follows the back road to Jomtien Soi 9 until it does the right angle turn to the beach and then follows a straight line through Jomtien Beach Condo splitting the two pools and taking away the garden.

I have many friends living in this condo and some, in buildings S1 and S2, are greatly concerned about the loss of the nicer pool and Club House which will stay with the A1, A2 and A3 buildings. One friend is concerned about the loss of business which will be the result of the split. All of them realise that the road in front of S1 and S2 will be used as a short cut from the new road to the beach, or even used as a parking lot by visitors to the beach. The new, and less attractive, pool was constructed with an entrance at the west end in anticipation of this new road being laid at the east end.

However, my friends in A1, A2 and A3 feel that the road will not inconvenience them at all as access to the Sukhumvit Road and Pattaya will be improved greatly. Pool noise will remain the same and they will not be cut off from the beach at all as the road passing S1 and S2 will have an entrance at both ends.

We must wait and see. This is Pattaya and plans will always be flexible. The timing of the start of the construction of the road is an unknown. During the rainy season maybe?

:o before you get down to the bloody rubblish area, have you now seen the disgrace new market come dodgem track blahing music, and gypsies, just arrived from issan who have now settled in the area, I am buggared if I know why the city hall have allowed this disgusting site / market. to continue, does anyone know who owns the land, obviously the land owner is not concerned as long as they get the bahts. I dont know how anyone could live around that area. obviously do nothing to prevent this disgusting site, and I tell you what it is getting bigger by the day, and a sight to see so many men having their daily wash etc, and where do they shit etc?????????? how could you sell if you live in this area. and paid so much

Yep it's a nuisance and should not be happening. I went down there on the motorbike last night to have a look at it, if there were three punters in the whole mess than that's as much as there were. My guess is that they loose money everyday and will only stay for 2 weeks and then go away.

Same as the last lot.

I suspect the problem is really the large workers camp on Soi 5 this is why these folks all think they can generate cash.

Edited by Rimmer

Yep it's a nuisance and should not be happening. I went down there on the motorbike last night to have a look at it, if there were three punters in the whole mess than that's as much as there were. My guess is that they loose money everyday and will only stay for 2 weeks and then go away.

Same as the last lot.

I suspect the problem is really the large workers camp on Soi 5 this is why these folks all think they can generate cash.

:D:D quite correct rimms, they always seem to be moving on even the worker camp opposite ace seem to be burning and leaving> did notice today, that the market at the top of soi 5, that a person started to build and have put a wall around and closed then low and behold see they have cut more trees down, and starting block construction upagainst assisting wall and on the wall of VTV? what could this big, I hope not a huge urinal for the workers and customers etc.

• 1 month later...

The construction of Jomtien Second Road seems to have been put on the back burner. I asked a City Hall surveyor, who was checking the run of the road again, when the road was likely to be built? He had done this check eleven times already in the last two years and all he could say was "Not this year." I had thought that a start had been made last week as a truck and a JCB digger had moved into the sharp bend at the top of Soi 9 in Jomtien. But....they were there just to extend the dumping ground. :o

post-3503-1153205398.jpg

Land surrender prices announced for Jomtien Second Road

The first length from Thappraya Road to the Matchanu Curve will have 171 surrendered plots, with the price set for a large plot being 14,000 baht, and a small plot 16,000 baht.

The second length from the Matchanu Curve to the Mae Sriruan Restaurant crossroads has a set price for a large plot at 12,000 baht, and a small plot at 14,000 baht. The other three lengths need additional surveying, and will have a price set during the next meeting.

Am I missing something ? The set price for a large lot is less than for a small plot ?

Hmmmm, 30 meters wide (180 feet). Sounds bigger than Sukhumvit Road !

Then again, the design could account for a center divider and sidewalks. That could take 15 meters off the overall width, leaving about 2.5 meters of width for each of the 6 traffic lanes.

Am I missing something ? The set price for a large lot is less than for a small plot ?

Hmmmm, 30 meters wide (180 feet). Sounds bigger than Sukhumvit Road !

Then again, the design could account for a center divider and sidewalks. That could take 15 meters off the overall width, leaving about 2.5 meters of width for each of the 6 traffic lanes.

Hi Kerry...that's what the article in the Pattaya Mail said. I just wonder if the prices quoted were per square metre. Maybe there is some sort of fiddle factor involved in the costing, so as to compensate the owners of smaller plots. Who knows?

One of the reasons these road plans take so long to get approved is because everyone is busy jockying and positioning themselves to get a 'piece of the action'.

They'll probably end up approving a budget for a six lane highway, but will build a four lane highway - with two lanes disappearing in a fog of corruption. :o

• 3 months later...

This from Pattaya City News web site, Friday 3rd November

Land buy-back problems with the Jomtien Second Road project.

Khun Sitipap, the Assistant Deputy Chairman of Pattaya City Hall who is also responsible for the Technical Services Department convened this meeting on Friday Morning to discuss ongoing problems with the construction of a new Second Road in Jomtien. The original plan for the road meant that buy-back of privately owned land would have to take place to allow the road to be constructed. Problems have been encountered with the finer details of the buy-backs as disputes over the exact boundaries of the land to be purchased and the ongoing negotiations over the land prices have occurred leading to confusion on both sides. In conjunction with the local Land Office these problems are now expected to be rectified to allow construction of the road to begin.