Brand New BMW 320i - needs new gearbox after 1 week.

pedro01

Any update ?

I took delivery of a new 320i yesterday, got a free iphone with it too.

Thanks to Europa motor...

Was gonna get one but now i am leaning more towards the upcoming 2014-2015 w205 c class with 210 plus HP and 0-100 km/h in 6.6 sec faster than the 3 series

My beginner's motobike is quicker than that...

LOL, a 100-125cc motorsai struggles to even hit 100 - you must have a unique definition of 'beginners' :P

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was gonna get one but now i am leaning more towards the upcoming 2014-2015 w205 c class with 210 plus HP and 0-100 km/h in 6.6 sec faster than the 3 series

LOL, a 100-125cc motorsai struggles to even hit 100 - you must have a unique definition of 'beginners' tongue.png

Maybe he has one of these.. biggrin.png

LOL, a 100-125cc motorsai struggles to even hit 100 - you must have a unique definition of 'beginners' tongue.png

Maybe he has one of these.. biggrin.png

Or maybe he mis-read it as saying the Benz did 0-100km/day in 6.6 secs? :P

I think he means a beginners big bike such as a Honda CBR500 or a Kawasaki ER6n

Yes, I never mentioned scooters.

Then again, I beat one of those sporty Mercs in a drag race a year or so ago in my Ford Ranger. Those SLRs are not very good negotiating level crossings... :)

Yes, I never mentioned scooters.

Then again, I beat one of those sporty Mercs in a drag race a year or so ago in my Ford Ranger. Those SLRs are not very good negotiating level crossings... :)

Then again, i believe those mercs thought your ranger was not worth their fuel.

Here on planet Thailand, 500cc is not what most people would call a 'beginners' bike... In fact, I can't think of any countries that would even allow a provisional bike license holder to even ride a 500cc bike?

I can just imagine seeing 10yo kids riding CBR500's around the village though, not.

Here on planet Thailand, 500cc is not what most people would call a 'beginners' bike... In fact, I can't think of any countries that would even allow a provisional bike license holder to even ride a 500cc bike?

I can just imagine seeing 10yo kids riding CBR500's around the village though, not.

Apart from all of Europe and Australia, of course.

The Honda 500s are designed specifically as a beginner's bike.

Then again, i believe those mercs thought your ranger was not worth their fuel.

He was just a piss-poor Thai driver who couldn't read the traffic or predict the road ahead - quite normal here.

Gotta love that German quality! Buy a Honda .

right you are! it's a well known fact that the gearbox in every German car breaks down after 9 days whistling.gif

Oh Naam dont be like that ,we all know German quality , They last at least a monththumbsup.gif

BMW & Mercedes still have the name of being good quality cars.

My son is in the car branch, he begs to differ this opinion.

The quality from those German cars is great. Most time it are untrained mechanics who screw the product. If it's more complicated then a Toyota Vios they get stressed and just do what they think is correct. Leaving the manufacturers manuals in the plastic. To hard to read.

BMW & Mercedes still have the name of being good quality cars.

My son is in the car branch, he begs to differ this opinion.

The quality from those German cars is great. Most time it are untrained mechanics who screw the product. If it's more complicated then a Toyota Vios they get stressed and just do what they think is correct. Leaving the manufacturers manuals in the plastic. To hard to read.

But at Benz and BMW I guess that they get some training and our standard toyota Somchai is not working there...

Um, it all seems rather strange.

The only way I can see that engine coolant could get into the transmission is if somebody accidentally poured coolant into the transmission oil filler, mistaking it for the coolant reservoir.

Otherwise, there's no physical connection between the engine cooling system and the transmission that would allow the coolant to get there. And I know of no design that has engine coolant linked in anyway to the internals of a transmission.

If the above scenario is a possibility, I'd be keeping rather quiet about demands from BMW as they may suggest any warranty is void if somebody poured coolant into the transmission.

BMW don't make the gearboxes,they come from a firm called GF i think. If your car was serviced by a BMW dealer then they are liable. GF certainly wouldn't come up with a new gearbox if misuse is proved ie. filled up with coolant,that would be down to the dealer. In Germany if the bodywork has been compromised by the factory (slight dent,repaired then sprayed over) you can expect a new car(German law in Germany) what happens if the dealer is at fault i don't know.Engine coolant CAN"T get into the gearbox unless purposely poured in. I worked for BMW in Germany for 40 years,they are a good quality car and they do take great pride in their product. If all else fails a detailed letter to BMW Munich can bring results.

As said before... the oil from the gearbox get cooled in the bottom part of the radiator. In the upper part of the radiator is the coolant for the engine. If there is a leak between this 2 cool systems somewhere in the radiator then you get the problem as described by the OP.

1 Lose of coolant, warning light go on. By OP if he came of a ramp.

2 Gearbox get coolant and will malfunction

The double radiator leaking and wrecking the Zf gearbox is common fault in many german cars , mercedes often have same issue that it failed in less than one week is a manufacturing issue , your engine is also now compromised

Knowing the strict German quality check I wonder how it is possible ?

Is it because this car is assembled in Thailand by Somchai ? ;-)

NO ....its a design fault to save money and weight by combing all cooling in 1 radiator its fine until the radiator core fails then you have big problems ,,,, better to have a seperate gearbox cooler ,,,,very common on German produced Mercs and BMWs too .but usually after a few years

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-to-recall-2700-cars-20140415-36pfp.html

it seems they know all about gearbox failures......It seems it is a bolt that may have failed and not the nut at the wheel.

BMW to recall 2700 cars
Date April 15, 2014 - 3:50PM

Popular models face potential engine failure.

bmw-335i_729-620x349.jpg

It is believed that BMW's 335i could be one of the vehicles involved in the recall.

BMW's Australian arm is on the cusp of a recall that will take in some of its most popular models.

The German brand is in the midst of a global recall for cars powered by its turbocharged 3.0-litre engines that are available in everything from the 1-Series hatch to the Z4 convertible and X5 luxury SUV.

BMW spokesman Scott Croaker says a bolt attached to the engine's VANOS valve system can shear, leading to a loss in oil pressure and the potential for engine failure.

The problem has not been reported in Australia.

• 1 month later...

The new car is still fine ?

Funny you should ask.

Took it back yesterday.

Symptoms

- In economy/comfort mode, car was "jumpy" between 1-2k RPM

- when stopped & in drive, car would "shudder" voilently for 2 seconds every 10 seconds or so

Just got the following SMS

"Problem in transmission and BMW Thailand will send the document about the problem tomorrow (to explain) and in 20 min my boss will call you"

Now waiting for the call....

Yup - gearbox gone again. Pending written confirmation from BMW Thailand - but this is a heads up from the dealership who have been fantastic throughout.

This is after 2 months. First one lasted less than 2 weeks.

Should be interesting what happens now. I certainly don't want a replacement 320i. I'm done with that model.

So I guess it's either a different BMW with a different transmission OR a refund.

Although as yet, a new car or refund is not on offer.

Hopefully, this'll turn out to be an error in translation and it's really a faulty interior light bulb....

I read that there was a faulty batch of ZF gearboxes, maybe your first and your replacment car are of the same batch? The amount of CKD kits brought to Thailand aren´t that high, so this might be possible.

When you posted that you´ll get a replacement car I thought that exactly this might happen....very very unlucky!! German crap biggrin.png I never had a problem though.

Maybe you also have one of the faulty radiator fans? There was also a faulty batch of these whistling.gif Someone here posted that his 3 series went into limp mode for no obvious reason. That was very often caused by faulty radiator fans which are connected to the car´s computer as well. So to protect the engine the car suddenly goes to limp mode.

Edited by I knew this would happen

My view on this is that a new 3 series is a no go for me.

The question is - which of their cars is different enough that it doesnt have the same gearbox as the 3 series? The X3? The 5 series?

At this point I am willing to pay more for a different model as i have lost faith in the 3 series but BMW themselves have been great throughout.

With a 3 series i'll always be waiting for the gearbox to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The question is - which of their cars is different enough that it doesnt have the same gearbox as the 3 series? The X3? The 5 series?

At this point I am willing to pay more for a different model as i have lost faith in the 3 series but BMW themselves have been great throughout.

Are you masochist ?

Just kidding <3

Are you masochist ?

Just kidding <3

Lol. Fair point.

So far, the people at BMW have been exceptional. I just wish i hadnt seen so much of them! So i will give it another shot.

It has been stressful though. Car playing up, trips back to the dealer, waiting to see how it will be resolved. It was a week last time, will probably be the same this time. Worst case is it gets fixed, gets sold at a loss and we look elsewhere.