Phra Buddha Issara criticised for jumping the gun

webfact

Phra Buddha Issara criticised for jumping the gun

2-25-2014-10-54-04-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Phra Buddha Issara has come under criticism for his unilateral decision to hold talks with former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat on Monday.

Writing in his Facebook page today, Mr Thawatchai Thaikhiew, deputy permanent secretary of justice, said that the monk, a senior member of the anti-government protest movement might have jumped the gun in talking with Mr Somchai, a leading figure of the Pheu Thai party and brother-in-law of exiled fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said that although the informal talk between the monk and Mr Somchai was inconclusive, the search for a way out of the current political impasse was not easy and some talking process could not be done in the public.

Mr Thawatchai noted that although the meeting between the two men had opened a channel for both sides to know the wishes of each side, Phra Buddha Issara’s premature approach could make future negotiations – if there are any – 100 times more difficult for the parties in the conflict and for the coordinator.

“I am very tired with the national problems like a man diving under a raft who is reaching out for the raft and then suddenly somebody rows the raft away..,” said Mr Thawatchai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/phra-buddha-issara-criticised-jumping-gun/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-25

• Like 1

Wow

So a protest leader instigates talks with a known government Thaksin man and is slammed by the very "government " who according to pro government posters here are desperate for talks .. go figure!

PS : this is the same guy who was supposed to spend 3 nights with the protestors.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 2

EC commissioner welcomes talk between Phra Buddha Issara, former PM
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Election Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn Tuesday welcomed the talk between Phra Buddha Issara and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, saying it was good sign of possible peaceful solution.

The monk, a leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, and Somchai held a talk at the Government Complex Monday.

EC Commissioner Somchai said the talk kick-started the peaceful negotiation between the two sides and the talk would continue with more representatives of both sides.

"The two-side negotiation has started and will continue. The outcome of the talk between Somchai Wongsawat and Luangpu Buddha Issara was a light that lit up amid protracted conflicts in the society," the commissioner, who is in charge of organizing elections, posted on his Facebook wall.

The EC commissioner said although the nearly-one-hour talk did not go into details on demands of either side, the two sides straightforwardly exchanged opinions and tried to invent a method for seeking peaceful solution for the conflicts.

In the method, the number of negotiators would increase to four in the next round and six in third round with two and three negotiators on each side respectively, the commissioner posted.

"If everything goes on smoothly, the talk will be wrapped up in two weeks," the commissioner said.

He said the heart of the talk was that both sides agreed to continue the negotiation for a peaceful solution for the country.

He said although the former PM and the monk could not promise that they would be able to convince others on the side to agree with the talk, the Monday talk at least sent a signal that if violence subsided in the next week, the second round of talk would continue.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-25

• Like 2

In such an instance as this, talking is the action of brave and wise people.

He is a monk, even if he is against the governments abuses, he is first going to look for peace.

I am curious which of them approached whom first. Better a side channel of communication,

it mights save lives, even if it doesn't same anyones jobs.

• Like 1

One is led to wonder why there is condemnation of these talks, they are exploratory and at this time no doubt without any substance or backing. However it is a step in the right direction for those who are seeking a peaceful end to the current problems.

No doubt thought there are factions within the P.T.P. and other interested involved factions of all politcal hues as we have seen who are intent on violence to force their ideals on the population.

Methinks the talks as highlighted inthe O.P. are indeed a vast improvement on the Chalerm approach and the approach of Thida and other assorted Red Shirt leadership.

He is a monk, even if he is against the governments abuses, he is first going to look for peace.

I am curious which of them approached whom first. Better a side channel of communication,

"He is a monk..." Who surrounds himself with armed 'guards' and interogates police officers captured by said guards. A VERY holy man indeed.

He is a monk. Correct.

He has guards. Correct

(never seen a picture of armed guards. Have you got one? ).

He talks to people that tell him they are Police (but carry no ID) Correct.

(just changed the wording to reflect reality)

Is he holy. I haven't a clue. I have never really understood religion and it's avarice for money.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even the monk recognizes that this situation can't continue and wants dialogue. Provided he is giving up the threats, intimidation and harassment, then dialogue is to be welcomed. This is not the first time he has broken rank with Suthep

Even the monk recognizes that this situation can't continue and wants dialogue. Provided he is giving up the threats, intimidation and harassment, then dialogue is to be welcomed. This is not the first time he has broken rank with Suthep

Has he really broken rank or is it Suthep's idea?

Has he really broken rank or is it Suthep's idea?

Most probably the speak about the terms of surrender.....OK, take your money and leave and we don't put it on Interpol and keep your property in Thailand.

(that would fit for both sides).

Which of course is a foul compromise.

If you are anti government protestor, than they should pay back all the money they got with their corruption.

If you believe the government is good, than of course Suthep is a terrorist and should pay for all the damage he has done.

As if history hasn't provided enough examples, the era of backroom deals must come to an end. The people of this country are tired with everything that happens behind closed doors. Corruption breeds in that environment, and suspicion breeds in that environment as well. I can't imagine what would possess this monk to enter talks with Thaksin's brother-in-law. Doubtless his motives are honest. But the public should run as far from it as possible. It is like taking the argument right back to the source. It's like Keenu Reeves going back to the architect of the Matrix and saying " You know, you have a pretty neat outfit here. Perhaps I jumped to hasty conclusions. "

Edited by Scamper

Did Suthep come out and denounce him? So why do you assume he broke ranks?

And it seems the government is so willing to talk now. Guess targeting the big boss's business worked after all. clap2.gif

There is no question that talking is better than fighting. But this is a "monk" who--in front of the cameras and journalists--interrogated two undercover policemen who had been badly assaulted by protest guards, and who were tied, blindfolded, bleeding and laying on the sidewalk in front of him. If that is a Buddhist monk searching for peace, I need to go back and start re-reading Buddha's teachings.

Dialogue begins in attempt to reach truce between govt, protesters
By Digital Content

1393309652446.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 25 - An Election Commission (EC) member today disclosed that a first round meeting between anti-government Buddhist monk, Phra Buddha Isara, and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat to find resolutions to Thailand's escalating political conflicts has taken place.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, EC member in charge of election administration, said the EC mediated the dialogue intending to ease tensions and find a way out of the ongoing unrest, which he said has become worse.

"It is important that the government and the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) together create an atmosphere for negotiations," he said.

Somchai Wongsawat is an executive of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, while Phra Buddha Isara leads PDRC protesters and supporters at the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road - one of the PDRC's five
rally sites in Bangkok.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said the second round of the dialogue will be held next week, to be attended by more decision-making members. He expressed optimism that the talks would be fruitful in two weeks if everything goes on smoothly.

The EC executive said yesterday's talks, held on the Thammasat University Rangsit campus, was only an overture of negotiations.

"I initially wanted the negotiations to move on for a certain period before disclosing it to the public, but one of the parties has made it known to society which is understandable," he said.

He called on the government and the PDRC to create a favourable atmosphere for future talks.

"Both sides should explain to their supporters that a negotiation is a positive means of resolution for the country. We should get more concrete developments next week," he said.

Mr Somchai is scheduled to appear on TV Channel 11 tomorrow night between 8.30-9.00pm to reveal details of yesterday's dialogue.

Asked if the EC would be ready to hold elections in seven days after the political conflicts are solved, he replied, "Yes." (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-25

what of the red shirt intimidation and harassment? anything to say about that do you?

Edited by ggold

He is not a 'real' monk who lives by the Buddhas teachings and the Sanghas rules

NO politics

This guy has led demos, question serving Police Officers blindfolded etc.

I know of no Thais who supports bringing the Buddhist tradition here down to the level of politics - the monkhood should be above it

"He is a monk..." Who surrounds himself with armed 'guards' and interogates police officers captured by said guards. A VERY holy man indeed.

He is a monk, who has guard, some of whom may be armed and when those said guards catch plainclothes, armed policemen, that take them to the monk to show what he is up against in his campaign for democracy.

In many countries in this region monks have been on the forefront of protests and struggles for democracy.

• Like 2

nor the first time he has broken rank with Buddhism and the monkhood's rule against being involved with secular affairs

he obviously has a VERY high opinion of himself as his name suggests

He is a monk, who has guard, some of whom may be armed and when those said guards catch plainclothes, armed policemen, that take them to the monk to show what he is up against in his campaign for democracy.

In many countries in this region monks have been on the forefront of protests and struggles for democracy.

yes like in 2010 red shirt campaign? many monks involved in that

So I am not being a hypocrite (and yes I am a Buddhist of 27 years) monks + politics = forbidden (to take part on EITHER side ). I am as much against monks taking part for the reds as much as anyone else

He is not a 'real' monk who lives by the Buddhas teachings and the Sanghas rules

NO politics

I know of no Thais who supports bringing the Buddhist tradition here down to the level of politics - the monkhood should be above it

As I told you a few times before, monks have been known to be on the front of protests and struggles for democracy. Not only in Thailand but also in Myanmar, Vietnam, etc.

Were those monks also wrong? According to the powers they were struggling against certainly.

is that your reply to him holding (maybe) peace talks...well done..sad.png

NO politics

It's not your place to interpret Buddhism for a monk. That's his concern and his problem.

• Like 1

nor the first time he has broken rank with Buddhism and the monkhood's rule against being involved with secular affairs

he obviously has a VERY high opinion of himself as his name suggests

You'd prefer that the discussions stopped?

• Like 1