Buying and reselling a bicycle - possible?

Stekmer

I've had very little success at finding a decent bicycle to rent in my trips to the North East (Nakhon Phanom in particular) and find it really frustrating having to get around on old single speed bikes with creaking cranks and unpredictable brakes. Sever limitations on distances that can be covered.

The idea of bringing my own is a bit daunting – unless I bring one on a flight to Don Muang and find somewhere to store it between onward flights.

Getting from an airport to hotel with it seems even more daunting. Folding bicycles are not an appealing option due to wheel size.

Earlier this month in Nakhon Phanom, I tried asking a couple of second hand bicycle shops (and one new bicycle shop) if I could buy a bike and sell it back at the end of my 1 week stay. Neither of the second hand bike shops would rent me the bicycle that I wanted and I didn’t fancy paying the 2,000 to 3,000 baht to just leave it behind after a week’s use.

I offered to pay 2,500 bht for a bike (marked price tag) if I could sell it back for 1,000 baht after a week’s use – not successful.

Is this common?

Is there a cultural reason why second hand bike shops will not consider selling and re-buying at a lower price?

Any helpful tips on travelling with a bicycle?

Why not bring your own bike with you? You can store it in the baggage department at the airport for a nominal charge. You can also try putting a post on this forum asking someone to rent you one of their spare bikes for a week. Another option is Bicycle Thailand which also has a forum which might be helpful. I know lots of cyclists here in Udon Thani who have several bicycles. I'm sure one would be willing to rent one to you. I'm sure the same would apply to the cyclists in Nakhon Phanom.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions fdimike - quite useful.

To bring one of my own bikes would cost me about A$150 in round trip transport costs plus storeage costs + the worry of it being damaged en route.

In retrospect - I'd have been better off buying what looked like a reasonable bike for 2,500 bht and just leaving it at the hotel afterwards.

I'll try using this or the Bicycle Thailand forums to see if it is possible to negotiate a private rental - planning ahead is obviously a good idea.

Nothing daunting at all about travelling with a bicycle.

I travelled with my road bicycle from North East Scotland to my house in Nakhon Phanom, trip was Aberdeen-Heathrow-Doha-Bangkok-Don Mueang-Nakhon Phanom, total cost 600 odd baht that Air Asia charged from Don Mueang to Nakhon Phanom as sporting equipment. The road bike I travelled with is probably worth around 100,000 Baht, I travelled with it in a hard shell bicycle box.

I checked it in at Aberdeen Airport picked it up in Bangkok, then put it into left luggage there (100 baht approx), stayed in a cheap hotel overnight close to Swampy, returned to Swampy in the morning picked up bike box, onto the free shuttle bus over to Don Mueang, checked it in, job done. Did the reverse with the empty bike box as will be taking 1-2 of my other road bikes across this or next year.

It is surprising how many bike boxes that are left in Swampy left luggage areas, it is more common than you think travelling here with a bicycle. No I wasn't stopped at customs either on my way into Thailand.

Quote - "I offered to pay 2,500 bht for a bike (marked price tag) if I could sell it back for 1,000 baht after a week’s use – not successful.

Is this common? "

"Have you ever tried getting 1000 baht back of a Thai 5555."

Best Regards