Is it possible to open an offshore bank account in Thailand with out physically having to be there?

You could try asking Citibank, as it appears that they are able to open accounts in Thailand for people who have an account with them in the Philippines (https://www.citibank.com.ph/gcb/deposits/global_banking.htm). Citibank in other countries should also be able to do cross-border account opening, but they don't specify which countries they can open the account in. With that said, the service is intended for people who are planning on moving to other countries and want to have an account ready to go when they arrive, so unless that is what you are looking for it probably wouldn't work for what you want.

• Like 1

You could try asking Citibank, as it appears that they are able to open accounts in Thailand for people who have an account with them in the Philippines (https://www.citibank.com.ph/gcb/deposits/global_banking.htm). Citibank in other countries should also be able to do cross-border account opening, but they don't specify which countries they can open the account in. With that said, the service is intended for people who are planning on moving to other countries and want to have an account ready to go when they arrive, so unless that is what you are looking for it probably wouldn't work for what you want.

That is what I'm looking for and I appreciate the answer.

I had an HSBC account in Thailand, set up from the UK for years before I moved here. Unfortunately HSBC now only offer business accounts here, but if you have a bank account with a bank that has a branch in Thailand and your own country then it should be possible. Not sure if you are in the UK but if you are you could try Bangkok Bank in St.Mary's Axe to see if they will do.

SDM

• 3 weeks later...