Thai armed forces on defensive in mounting political crisis

webfact

Thai armed forces on defensive in mounting political crisis
By Digital Content

13934040559749.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 26 – Thai army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha admitted today that the country's armed forces could only take a defensive position in dealing with the current heightened political conflicts, bearing in mind their duty to protect the country, the people and the monarch.

He said the disputes have worsened with continuing violence since all factions refused to abide by the rule of law.

Violent incidents are inevitable and leaders of conflicting factions must take responsibility for the losses, adding that the military would do everything it could to resolve the problems.

“We are blamed when we can’t do it,” he deplored. “We can only be on the defensive for future incidents.”

Referring to the alleged presence of foreign forces in Thailand, Gen Prayuth said intelligence reports did not find any grounds for the speculation, indicating that it would be unnecessary to deploy foreign forces for such attacks.

“You only need daring hooligans with a little training to create unrest. These people were involved in the 2010 political turmoil. They are hooligans. You’d better ask the police about this,” he said.

He flatly ruled out a proposal by the pro-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) to appoint him as defence minister and as neutral prime minister to end the political stalemate.

He said, “I don’t want any position. I only wish safety for the nation, people and the monarch. I can trade anything for those.

“An official is not allowed to work with personal feeling, nor hate anyone. I don’t want to solve one problem only to encounter another one, which is endless. I’m confident that good deeds will eventually prevail. It takes time.” (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-26

• Like 1

Army tells all governors to monitor all incitements

banpot-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Army commander-in-chief has asked all provincial governors to monitor movements that incite hatred and disturbance in the country in his first open stance to defuse the current political tension and prevent conflict from widening.

Spokesman of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) Col Banpot Poolpien said the army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha who acted on his capacity as the deputy director of the ISOC addressed a meeting today of all relevant government agencies during the daily monitoring of the situation.

The ISOC director is the prime minister.

At the meeting, the spokesman said the army chief told all four army region commanders to invite governors who are directors of the provincial level ISOC unit to a meeting at their respective areas to assess and monitor the situation closely.

The army chief problem in each province and each region is different, citing the rice pledging scheme and political conflict.

Problem in each province may differ due to different groups of people, and these have to be addressed by governors so as to resolve the problem effectively.

The army chief said governors must take care of the people who are not involved in political conflict but are affected by protests, citing the deaths of children in Trat and Ratchaprasong. They have to see which law could be enforced in order to prevent and resolve troubles, to bring peace, and also to consider if the internal security act should be enforced to control the situation.

When asked about an inciting statement by the caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan on the stage of the red-shirt rally in Nakhon Ratchasima last Sunday, which encouraged people with guns to rise up against the anti-government protesters and the dividing of the country into two parts to establish a new state, the spokesman said this might be his personal opinion as this was impossible because the Constitution says the country is one state and cannot be divided.

He said that minister should refrain from making such inciting statement as this was a waste and merely a political speech with intent to incite the people.

Asked to comment on a group of former communist defectors claiming themselves to be a Thai national development group, and coming out to oppose the protest rally of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, the ISOC spokesman said that this group did not represent the whole Thai national development group but it is just a small splinter group to voice its political view.

He said in fact the so-call Thai national development group has disintegrated long ago and was inactive.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-26

Whats up with the army? Why are they being so darn helpless and lame?

They have kept this half assed attitude ever since this mess started. Just standing idle with their hands in their pockets.

Do they seriously think that if they ignore the situation long enough, it will just go away??

Edited by NicholasJ
  • Like 1

Come on Army, you are long overdue.

Get rid of this incompetent government and send Sutherp and the protesters home.

They have achieved what they came out for.

Now is time of tranquillity and serious political thinking and reforms.

No harm trying, isn't it?

They have kept this half assed attitude ever since this mess started. Just standing idle with their hands in their pockets.

Do they seriously think that if they ignore the situation long enough, it will just go away??

After all the crap they got from the coup and 2010 they are understandably reluctant to get involved. If it gets bad enough they'll have to, but "how bad" that will be remains to be seen. A lot worse than this, I would think.

• Like 2

An extra 117 military checkpoints will be set up to cover risk spots around protest sites and other key areas in Bangkok in the wake of escalating violence. /Bangkok Post

At least that counters the para military post- Khmer rouge (unauthorized) check points of PTP's dumb-bum-warriors (i.e. Korat yesterday)

Edited by gemini81

Come on Army, you are long overdue.

Get rid of this incompetent government and send Sutherp and the protesters home.

They have achieved what they came out for.

Now is time of tranquillity and serious political thinking and reforms.

That'll only mean that the redshirts will be coming to protest in Bangkok-ONLY-Bangkok, another repeat 2010, but with MORE vengeance....

Prayuth continues to appeal for calm, yet one suspects that he must be experiencing a great deal of anguish over these events. The army will find their neutrality tested even more severely in the coming days, as the temperature continues to escalate. It is hard to imagine that the army will be able to stay on the sidelines for much longer. We have an administration that is now openly showing a disrespect for the independent agencies and the courts. It has come down to the legitimacy of the courts themselves. They cannot ever be threatened in a civil society.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

Gearing up a (surely long laid) plan to suppress any pro-goverment mobilisation, 'hate-provocation' etc in/from the provinces. But no move is permitted to do anything of the sort vis a vis the anti-goverment elephant in the room, i.e. the Bangkok mob. Does anyone, even in the anti-government camp, really believe that the courts, the nacc, the cc or the army is not utterly committed to one side and thoroughly politicised? That question can be separated from whether or not one is pro- or anti- Taksin. Every outside commentary I've read (including the NYT, The Financial Times, BusinessWeek, et al) doesn't. Unfortunately the so-called 'independent' agencies have forfeited confidence in themselves. A very retrograde step for Thailand's future.

• Like 2

I actually think the Army are playing this perfectly. If they come out the UDD will use it as an excuse and cry coup. If they stay away the PDRC will claim the Army are not defending the people, as is their stated duty. However the Army are stating this is a civilian matter, they will not (yet) intervene. They are putting a huge amoount of pressure on the Police. If the police do not start active investigations, and stop the almost nightly gun and grenade attacks; they will lose face. The Thai people will lose any faith in them, they may have left. This would leave the army as the only viable option. It would also be less of a risk after the police have failed. The UDD cannot say the army is not acting with restraint. The PDRC cannot claim the army should have acted. They are doing exactly what they should be doing under the constitution and Thai law.

Good Scouse logic that lar.

Has anyone given consideration to the armed groups coming up from the south ? Outside of Mr T, they are the only other ones I can see gaining anything by these attacks. It sure does fit the MO of other Islamic Terrorist groups. In that they attack soft, indiscriminate targets to apply even more heat to an already hot situation in the hope of total breakdown in law and order. Therefore using a lawless land to their advantage for pushing their own agenda and achieving their own objectives.ph34r.png.pagespeed.ce.GOH20nhrx_.png

Probably not a bad idea to consider under other circumstances, but I think the usual suspects are probably able to have done all the mischief we have seen without help from the south border miscreants.

Army Generals who over throw democratically elected governments tend not to go down to well with the International Community which Thailand needs. America has spent years getting Myanmar out of that situation and I am sure have made their thoughts known on the matter as have the EU and UK. Generals tend not to have much experience in the world of politics and the Generals must know sooner rather than later would have to give way to Democracy which the reds with a Thaskin link would probably win and the merry go round would start all over again.

Army Generals who over throw democratically elected governments tend not to go down to well with the International Community which Thailand needs. America has spent years getting Myanmar out of that situation and I am sure have made their thoughts known on the matter as have the EU and UK. Generals tend not to have much experience in the world of politics and the Generals must know sooner rather than later would have to give way to Democracy which the reds with a Thaskin link would probably win and the merry go round would start all over again.

Thai politicians don't give a rats what the international community thinks. The US did not get Myanmar out of any situation, where did you get that idea?

• Like 2

The ISOC director is the prime minister.

And where is the elusive caretaker P.M.?

This line confused me a little...

The ISOC director is the Prime Minister - Is this a silent coup? smile.png

You are easily confused/.

Cheap shot... lol

Edited by MunterHunter

I actually think the Army are playing this perfectly. If they come out the UDD will use it as an excuse and cry coup. If they stay away the PDRC will claim the Army are not defending the people, as is their stated duty. However the Army are stating this is a civilian matter, they will not (yet) intervene. They are putting a huge amoount of pressure on the Police. If the police do not start active investigations, and stop the almost nightly gun and grenade attacks; they will lose face. The Thai people will lose any faith in them, they may have left. This would leave the army as the only viable option. It would also be less of a risk after the police have failed. The UDD cannot say the army is not acting with restraint. The PDRC cannot claim the army should have acted. They are doing exactly what they should be doing under the constitution and Thai law.

You are not far from the truth I think and Prayuth seems to me to be a good egg. I think he would make a good PM from what I have seen of him. He talks sense, cares about the people and the country where others just seem to be around for number 1.

Edited by nong38

You are not far from the truth I think and Prayuth seems to me to be a good egg. I think he would make a good PM from what I have seen of him. He talks sense, cares about the people and the country where others just seem to be around for number 1.

He knows that this time, the Reds will fight back, and very violently. It will not be a case of flowers being placed on tanks. |There is little or no way they can surpress the Reds strongholds if they choose to fight the army. They burnt city halls in Isaan last time, does anyone really think they can simply roll a few tanks into Chiangmai or Khon Kaen and the people will just give up and go home?

• Like 1

Actually, it is the job of the police to do what you say.

Still, no arrests for the violence against the PDRC, including several murders. None expected either. The Army is waiting on the police. They go first. It is their responsibility. Explain. Why are they not doing their jobs?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Still, no arrests for the violence against the PDRC, including several murders. None expected either. The Army is waiting on the police. They go first. It is their responsibility. Explain. Why are they not doing their jobs?

Not doing their job? fair bet the ex-policeman, ex-PM, current fugitive and convicted criminal is pulling the strings with his mates who unfortunately head up the current police force.

Interesting how the UDD have tried to bring the army on their side with the offer of interim PM!

He flatly ruled out a proposal by the pro-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) to appoint him as defence minister and as neutral prime minister to end the political stalemate

Also is this a split of the PTP and the UDD alliance! How does the current defence minister feel about that offer, Both her jobs are for sale!whistling.gif

On another level is this recognition by UDD that Not so lucky Yingluk's days are numbered?

Edited by ggold

Not doing their job? fair bet the ex-policeman, ex-PM, current fugitive and convicted criminal is pulling the strings with his mates who unfortunately head up the current police force.

I agree with you, but NicholasJ has a strong opinion that isn't the case and it is the primary duty of the Army to do the police's job. Yes Adul is caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, but at least some of us understand his position, while others don't and just blast Prayuth instead.