Danger of civil war: Prayuth

webfact

Anti government posters keep (beating the dead horse of corruption) The NACC found no corruption on Yingluck at all, what other reason is behind the "Negligence" charge, There is a world of difference in a Corruption charge and a Negligence charge.

The only way out of this mess the military allowed to happen, is a free, transparent election overseen by the UN., to guarantee all have a right to vote their belief, I for one have always stated that whoever is the will of the majority of Thai voters, Which party wins, I will live with.

Hopefully the country will not have to under go a civil war to reach that free and transparent election, as It is the only viable way out of the current crises!

Cheers

The problem is that Suthep/Dems will never allow the UN to oversee an election, because if they should lose the election and the UN declared it free and fair the myth of vote buying would disappear. The UN can however be used to facilitate negotiations which lays out a political roadmap. This road map could be a government of national unity (based on parliamentary number as before 2nd February elections), this government must identify and implement reforms needed before an election (18 months to 24 months needed). This followed by an election supervised by international monitors. Afterwards a new government of unity is set up to implement the other agreed reforms over the next 4 years. I would also like to see this government of unity rewriting the constitution and that a new constitution is brought to the people in a referendum. By rewriting the constitution in such away that minority views are protected, many of the issues that led to these protests could be taken care of. Hope it makes sense.

Makes sense to me, what I am against is a non elected counsel to be allowed in any form.

The solution is viable in the sense that its does not invalidate any ones vote in 2011, a government of National unity, is a lot better option then a civil war!

It would have my vote, If I am ever allowed to vote, which at the moment I do not have that right.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, there goes Yingluck's electoral promise of bringing reconciliation. If they would had actually worked for the well beign of the whole country she may had achieved something.... but, Thaksing Thinks and PTP does, and Thaksin thinks his interests trump everything else.

Political violence since last November has caused 22 deaths, including children, and injured more than 700 people.

think of the number of people dead in the south due to a non-existent civil war.

these protests are merely the tip of the iceberg right now, but still nobody cares to look beneath the surface

I think out of all the players in this current situation the military have been the most balanced and neutral, they have played the game very well so far been restrained and kept their distance, not sure how long they can continue to do so but so far all credit to them

The danger now are the redshirts interfering with the courts - if Yingluk is found guilty that will effectively cut off the money supply to the redshirts and Thaksin -

don't kid yourselves - this is all about power and money, the reds and PTP have a huge financial interest to defend and that is what this is all about - theft extortion lies deception power and money and it is the Thai people that are being fleeced

I have heard many many times that all Thai's should live by the rules

But what are the rules

I have read that Yingluck has till the 4th March to have an election or it is all over

Every time I talk to a Thai including my wife the rules change

so is there a rule that says an election must be called with in ? days ?

If so is this the 2nd of March ?

As this is only 3 days away is this possible ?

If it is not held by this day, is it all over, or an they hold some time in the future ?

If the 4th arrives and there is no election then is Yingluck still the caretaker prime minister ?

If the answer is no at what times does her Caretaker finish ?

If she refuses the step down and stays under the protection of the red shirts, what is the rule ?

can she refuse to step down ?

Can the red shirts demand to serceed from the south

on what date is the 180 days finish for the government to pass the "Amersty Bill" on its own ?

Mysef and many others would like to know these answers

There is a moment here where every farang married to a Thai woman knows he should just stop asking silly questions and shut up.

Marriage not required.

• Like 1

The military are already on the streets of Bangkok in large numbers, he is clearly giving the Shins the option to step aside before the deployed troops move to the next stage in which they implement court orders and impose a change of PM and take out the key red shirt leaders. Are we hours away from the decisive move.?

I hope so. Sounds like a sensible move to me.

Anti government posters keep (beating the dead horse of corruption) The NACC found no corruption on Yingluck at all, what other reason is behind the "Negligence" charge, There is a world of difference in a Corruption charge and a Negligence charge.

The only way out of this mess the military allowed to happen, is a free, transparent election overseen by the UN., to guarantee all have a right to vote their belief, I for one have always stated that whoever is the will of the majority of Thai voters, Which party wins, I will live with.

Hopefully the country will not have to under go a civil war to reach that free and transparent election, as It is the only viable way out of the current crises!

Cheers

The problem is that Suthep/Dems will never allow the UN to oversee an election, because if they should lose the election and the UN declared it free and fair the myth of vote buying would disappear. The UN can however be used to facilitate negotiations which lays out a political roadmap. This road map could be a government of national unity (based on parliamentary number as before 2nd February elections), this government must identify and implement reforms needed before an election (18 months to 24 months needed). This followed by an election supervised by international monitors. Afterwards a new government of unity is set up to implement the other agreed reforms over the next 4 years. I would also like to see this government of unity rewriting the constitution and that a new constitution is brought to the people in a referendum. By rewriting the constitution in such away that minority views are protected, many of the issues that led to these protests could be taken care of. Hope it makes sense.

Makes sense to me, what I am against is a non elected counsel to be allowed in any form.

The solution is viable in the sense that its does not invalidate any ones vote in 2011, a government of National unity, is a lot better option then a civil war!

It would have my vote, If I am ever allowed to vote, which at the moment I do not have that right.

Cheers

Considering that the NACC has not presented it's case yet, it's premature to say they have found no corruption by Yingluck. Of course she can continue to use the red shirts to intimidate the NACC but the case won't go away.

As for the UN overseeing an election, it doesn't take much thought to see that it is beyond any outside monitor to actually see, let alone prevent, the various ways of buying votes here. I'm not referring to election promises but Kamnans, local politicians, village heads and party organisers getting people to vote their way by bribing them. Tens of thousands of monitors spending weeks in Thailand is beyond the UN.

Yes, the UN can assist in formulating a plan of action agreeable to both sides. It is more likely that Thaksin would veto that idea than Suthep. He certainly won't agree to any government of nation unity as it takes his power away. One only has to look at the miserable 'reconciliation' meeting last August to see how much PTP follows outside advice.

Re-writing the constitution is a job best left to non-politicians. They have created the mess and are not the best people to get out of it. It is not the most urgent task anyway as it's not the constitution that has caused the current crisis - rather the refusal to accept it's legality is the main problem.

Edited by khunken
  • Like 1

The military are already on the streets of Bangkok in large numbers, he is clearly giving the Shins the option to step aside before the deployed troops move to the next stage in which they implement court orders and impose a change of PM and take out the key red shirt leaders. Are we hours away from the decisive move.?

TAKE OUT the Red Shirt leaders???

Sounds like a guaranteed way to start a Civil War to me... probably half of the army are red shirt conscripts, what do you think they're going to do when millions of outraged red shirts come to Bangkok for revenge on the army & for their discarded votes???

Don't forget that Bangkok & the "Democrats" may think that they are Thailand but the reality is that they are actually a minority in this country & they can't just walk over the poor anymore as they always used to... The poor have been politicised & won't be shut back in their box again, the "Democrats" have never done anything for the poor & will never be trusted by them, A new Political party needs to be formed that will help the poor & have policies that will gain their trust but TIT so I won't hold my breath.

I don't know what the solution is but chucking the Democratically elected PM out certainly isn't it...

UN should not intervene , it is not they're country or responsibility .

What does matter is that the government should not have rigged votes , a reform should take place since most of the parties are very influenced by bribes from Thaksin Regime .

Same as the US with the Obama regime

But what are the rules

I have read that Yingluck has till the 4th March to have an election or it is all over

If it is not held by this day, is it all over, or an they hold some time in the future ?

If the 4th arrives and there is no election then is Yingluck still the caretaker prime minister ?

If she refuses the step down and stays under the protection of the red shirts, what is the rule ?

on what date is the 180 days finish for the government to pass the "Amersty Bill" on its own ?

There is a moment here where every farang married to a Thai woman knows he should just stop asking silly questions and shut up.

So I take it, here on Thai Visa every one has a comment

but know one knows the rules

are we not worse than the Thais we complain about something we know nothing about

maybe when the farang overseas wake up I will get plenty of answers to my questions

Sorry, I should have added LOL to the end.

It is quite common I have found , that when I ask my wife lots of questions about politics in Thailand, her eyes glaze over and she gets up to make me a coffee.

This is a subtle hint, that she doesn't want to talk about it, without saying it. Its quite common I think.

I think out of all the players in this current situation the military have been the most balanced and neutral, they have played the game very well so far been restrained and kept their distance, not sure how long they can continue to do so but so far all credit to them

The danger now are the redshirts interfering with the courts - if Yingluk is found guilty that will effectively cut off the money supply to the redshirts and Thaksin -

don't kid yourselves - this is all about power and money, the reds and PTP have a huge financial interest to defend and that is what this is all about - theft extortion lies deception power and money and it is the Thai people that are being fleeced

What else is new? The same as in the US, identical

Go to Thailand Tatler for the last 3 months, open it up and write down the surnames of every person you see inside. Then get onto Google and check which businesses every one of these families is inside, and realise that they are virtually all industries that are off limits to foreigners and industries with huge barriers to entry. The type of businesses are all old fashioned, bricks and mortar type of industry, where a couple of families traditionally have a very dominant position. Note that they are all largely Democrat supporters up to their eyeballs.

Then look at the list of PTP/TRT heavy hitters and realise that they are often the smaller minority bit of these industries or in businesses that are not connected to this bunch in Bangkok. Realise that they are the new wealth of the country, and they look at these dinosaur familes in Bangkok and want to replace them in the pages of Tatler. These buggars in Bangkok believe they worked very hard to get to where they are in Thailand, and aren't about to let a bunch of upstarts who didn't even send their kids to boarding school in England come along and upset their apple cart.

• Like 2

Cheers

Cheers

Considering that the NACC has not presented it's case yet, it's premature to say they have found no corruption by Yingluck. Of course she can continue to use the red shirts to intimidate the NACC but the case won't go away.

As for the UN overseeing an election, it doesn't take much thought to see that it is beyond any outside monitor to actually see, let alone prevent, the various ways of buying votes here. I'm not referring to election promises but Kamnans, local politicians, village heads and party organisers getting people to vote their way by bribing them. Tens of thousands of monitors spending weeks in Thailand is beyond the UN.

Yes, the UN can assist in formulating a plan of action agreeable to both sides. It is more likely that Thaksin would veto that idea than Suthep. He certainly won't agree to any government of nation unity as it takes his power away. One only has to look at the miserable 'reconciliation' meeting last August to see how much PTP follows outside advice.

Re-writing the constitution is a job best left to non-politicians. They have created the mess and are not the best people to get out of it. It is not the most urgent task anyway as it's not the constitution that has caused the current crisis - rather the refusal to accept it's legality is the main problem.

The NACC is not charging YS with corruption.

If you don't have the politicians involved in the writing the constitution we are back at square one. They must write the framework and the academics and legal people do the fine tuning and the people approve or not approve. Unfortunate it is the constitution, if there was clause in that the constitution can only be changed with a 75% majority the Dems could have sinked it in the parliament. Same with the appointment vs election of senators. The constitution can protect the Dems minority against PTP majority rule. Checks and balances are written in the constitution.

The myth of vote buying, by physical payments are over rated. As in most countries vote buying are done through policies such as the rice scheme, in the US, EU and UK welfare programs. Remember the EC declared the 2011 free and fair.

If you don't have the politicians involved in the writing the constitution we are back at square one. They must write the framework and the academics and legal people do the fine tuning and the people approve or not approve. Unfortunate it is the constitution, if there was clause in that the constitution can only be changed with a 75% majority the Dems could have sinked it in the parliament. Same with the appointment vs election of senators. The constitution can protect the Dems minority against PTP majority rule. Checks and balances are written in the constitution.

The myth of vote buying, by physical payments are over rated. As in most countries vote buying are done through policies such as the rice scheme, in the US, EU and UK welfare programs. Remember the EC declared the 2011 free and fair.

I don't know why they don't just lease a constitution from another country. By the time they take the concept and then Thai-ify it, it doesn't work anymore.

I sometimes think the Democrats would prefer payments to be cash instead of policies, because they do a very piss poor job of explaining any hard and concrete policies to the people. Reality is, they need someone far more hard nosed and commited to his principles than Abhsit. The moment he opens his mouth, I tune out, because you know that in a few months time, he will change his script depending on which way the wind is blowing.

well well surprise surprise.... the end game. This is what the plan was from the first minute Yingluck was elected.

These bast*rds will never rest until they're back in power.

First it was the airport sit in then it was Suthep and his bunch of 1000 baht a day protesters.

the military can't make it too obvious like last time... so they have to pretend they're going to stop a civil war.

How can a few thousand paid protesters cause a civil war?

Simple, throw a few grenades into the crowd. Block people from going about their lawful duties.

Suthep is a paid puppet for the big Bangkok families. The OLD MONEY.

And all you twits believe Suthep and his mob will suddenly morph into a corruption free government?

Come on you don't really believe that do you?

Silly silly.

Exactly. And now we see a slow-motion Putsch. The only hope is that the Army is today really divided.

" ... the UN has facilities to hold free and fair elections," Surapong said "

This bizarre tidbit by Thaksin's cousin seems to come out of the blue. It would be helpful if he free-associated at a meeting with the EC. This go it alone attitude of Surapong is continuing unabated. There is no doubt that Thaksin wants Ki-moon to play sides. And the worry is that however careful Ki-moon is in his diplomatic choice of words, it will somehow be twisted to fit Surapong's narrative.

Edited by Scamper

My preponderance is, when the coup that has seemed inevitable for some time now eventuates, what and who will the Military hand

government back to. . .

People talk about civil war, which is at present an exaggeration of the so-called divisions in Thai society, which are brief, albeit bloody, skirmishes between determined politicians and well paid rental crowds.

If the police and army were more determined to actually control meetings and demonstrations, the paid thugs could not lead us down this path.

There seems to be a provocation in the media towards a violent solution, between members of the public. This is a disingenuous analysis, when the public are really caught between untenable choices. Their problem is not with each other but with both sides of government.

I don't know why they don't just lease a constitution from another country. By the time they take the concept and then Thai-ify it, it doesn't work anymore.

I sometimes think the Democrats would prefer payments to be cash instead of policies, because they do a very piss poor job of explaining any hard and concrete policies to the people. Reality is, they need someone far more hard nosed and commited to his principles than Abhsit. The moment he opens his mouth, I tune out, because you know that in a few months time, he will change his script depending on which way the wind is blowing.

5555 AV is not the Dems leader because he is good a politician but because how he looks, where he got his degree, his pedigree and how he talks. I am not a Dems fan but he is the least corrupt, but have surrounded himself with shady people.

5555 AV is not the Dems leader because he is good a politician but because how he looks, where he got his degree, his pedigree and how he talks. I am not a Dems fan but he is the least corrupt, but have surrounded himself with shady people.

You mixed in my message, but I will answer you anyway. When your dad sits on the board of one of the biggest companies in the country, which has interests in Agribusiness, Telecoms and Television, I would suggest that this is an ENORMOUS conflict of interest . He may not be directly corrupted, but this conflict of interest is there for all to see, and it is frankly pathetic that he doesn't see it as wrong.

TAKE OUT the Red Shirt leaders???

Sounds like a guaranteed way to start a Civil War to me... probably half of the army are red shirt conscripts, what do you think they're going to do when millions of outraged red shirts come to Bangkok for revenge on the army & for their discarded votes???

Don't forget that Bangkok & the "Democrats" may think that they are Thailand but the reality is that they are actually a minority in this country & they can't just walk over the poor anymore as they always used to... The poor have been politicised & won't be shut back in their box again, the "Democrats" have never done anything for the poor & will never be trusted by them, A new Political party needs to be formed that will help the poor & have policies that will gain their trust but TIT so I won't hold my breath.

I don't know what the solution is but chucking the Democratically elected PM out certainly isn't it...

Absolutely not true. The Dems have huge support amongst the poor in Chantaburi province (for example). And do nothing for the poor? What about Abhisit's free education for every child up t the age of 15? This was a policy that benefitted the poor directly. Every scheme (not policy mind you) that Thaksin introduced had nothing to do with benefiting the poor but had a lot to do with benefiting Thaksin himself. You people who rewrite history in order to support your Thaksinite theories should think again. Thaksin is an enemy of the people. If he were allowed to take total power here then Thailand would quickly fall into the mire that Burma, Mussolini's Italy, North Korea and other regimes suffered.

• Like 1

You mixed in my message, but I will answer you anyway. When your dad sits on the board of one of the biggest companies in the country, which has interests in Agribusiness, Telecoms and Television, I would suggest that this is an ENORMOUS conflict of interest . He may not be directly corrupted, but this conflict of interest is there for all to see, and it is frankly pathetic that he doesn't see it as wrong.

Just how far along the family tree does a conflict of interest reach? You claim Abhisit has a conflict because of his father's business; does this extrapolate to siblings, cousins, in-laws? They reckon with 7 connections any 2 people in the world can be linked.

Should Oaf have his broadcaster's licence cancelled because his father is a fugitive criminal?

"Meanwhile, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul turned to the United Nations for possible help with Thailand's impasse". I thought big brother Thaksin once said "The U.N. is not my father".cheesy.gif

Thaksin did tell the UN Commission on Human Rights, when they asked him about the "extra-judicial killing" of 1700 people, to "mind their own business".

The drugs war claimed 2,500 people (at least 1,400 completely innocent civilians), Tak Bai about 100, 2010 another 91 so you are approximately 1,000 short actually - not that that would matter one jot to Thaksin!!!

Yes, but at the time, the number most bandied about was 1700. Many sources have now shown that number to be very low.

well well surprise surprise.... the end game. This is what the plan was from the first minute Yingluck was elected.

These bast*rds will never rest until they're back in power.

First it was the airport sit in then it was Suthep and his bunch of 1000 baht a day protesters.

the military can't make it too obvious like last time... so they have to pretend they're going to stop a civil war.

How can a few thousand paid protesters cause a civil war?

Simple, throw a few grenades into the crowd. Block people from going about their lawful duties.

Suthep is a paid puppet for the big Bangkok families. The OLD MONEY.

And all you twits believe Suthep and his mob will suddenly morph into a corruption free government?

Come on you don't really believe that do you?

Silly silly.

the biggest unfactual post today along with the usual trolls..stop lying..its just not cricket...wai2.gif

Just how far along the family tree does a conflict of interest reach? You claim Abhisit has a conflict because of his father's business; does this extrapolate to siblings, cousins, in-laws? They reckon with 7 connections any 2 people in the world can be linked.

Should Oaf have his broadcaster's licence cancelled because his father is a fugitive criminal?

He shouldn't necessarily have it cancelled, but the media should be jumping all over it. They all have conflicts, but to say that Abhisit is free of it is nonsense. He knows what CP wants for this and that, and that extends to many different vital markets for the country. I don't thinnk its unfair for the children of politicians to be barred from certain strategically important businesses in a country. Its bad enough to have people like Murdoch influencing the media for example, imagine if his son became president????

Edited by Thai at Heart

He shouldn't necessarily have it cancelled, but the media should be jumping all over it. They all have conflicts, but to say that Abhisit is free of it is nonsense. He knows what CP wants for this and that, and that extends to many different vital markets for the country. I don't thinnk its unfair for the children of politicians to be barred from certain strategically important businesses in a country. Its bad enough to have people like Murdoch influencing the media for example, imagine if his son became president????

I see no reason that James Murdoch should not become President other than that he was born in Australia.

You don't think it's unfair........... because it doesn't affect you. I don't know of any restrictions placed on citizens because of the occupation of their parents.

But what are the rules

Or better still wait until after the honeymoon.