Lampang, Phrae hit by heavy smog

webfact

Lampang, Phrae hit by heavy smog
Prateep Nantaparp
The Nation

HEAVY SMOG is threatening the health of people living in Lampang and Phrae.

Air-quality tests conducted yesterday showed that the amount of small dust particles in Lampang had soared to 135 micrograms per cubic metre - the highest in the country - while in Phrae it was 127mg.

Safety limits say small dust particles should not go beyond 120mg per cubic metre of air.

"At this level, anybody going outdoors in these provinces are exposed to health risks," Lampang weather bureau chief Tiwa Phanmaisee said yesterday.

He was speaking after checking real-time results of air-quality tests conducted by the Pollution Control Department.

Separately, relevant agencies in Nakhon Sawan have launched a campaign to prevent forest fires in an attempt to combat the smog problem.

The campaign, which will run until April 30, also includes lessons on extinguishing forest fires safely. Forest fires can spread very quickly during dry weather. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment will also monitor drought-hit areas in Nakhon Sawan by helicopter.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-27

Ahh...the natural disaster of the north. Blown in from China?

Nope, local burning. The reason I left Chiang Mai.... One season

when it was really bad, local " authorities " said it was due to burning

in Burma. Then someone posted a satellite photo by I think the US

weather service, that showed endless fires all around the northern

area of Thailand = egg on face......

In correct statement. Also from Myanmar, China, Lao,Cambodia, Malaysia and yes Thailand. Present photo.

asia3d.jpg

Edited by khwaibah

Yeah, same here. I may even have moved to Mae Hong Son, but would have meant going on a long 'holiday' every burning season.

I was going to take a break from BKK and go to Mae Rim/Chiang Mai next week ... is that still advisable?

Pah! I live in chiang mai, have done for 12 years. It never gets worse here than the middle of bangkok. Most of the 'pollution' is burning off stubble from the fields. I know it affects some people in the eyes though. Some do complain a lot, but it's really not so bad these days. It was bad in terms of visibility a few years ago, but not so bad now.

My point is that going by smell, pollution (outside of the immediate town centre around the moats) is way way less than in bangkok.

• Like 1

I was going to take a break from BKK and go to Mae Rim/Chiang Mai next week ... is that still advisable?

Pah! I live in chiang mai, have done for 12 years. It never gets worse here than the middle of bangkok. Most of the 'pollution' is burning off stubble from the fields. I know it affects some people in the eyes though. Some do complain a lot, but it's really not so bad these days. It was bad in terms of visibility a few years ago, but not so bad now.

My point is that going by smell, pollution (outside of the immediate town centre around the moats) is way way less than in bangkok.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

We lived in Singapore a few years ago and were hit with the "haze" - seems CM not so bad

I rode my motorbike from BKK to Chiang Mai, March 2008, as best I can recall and the smog became so bad that I could only see about 50 to 100 feet, my eyes were red and stinging. I have NEVER experience pollution like that in BKK :)

So far this year the air has been pretty clean. When the right atmospheric conditions come together, Chiang Mai's air can get nasty :(

If you plan to visit nature & spend time outdoors during your visit, I'd recommend you put your visit off until after the rains start or next cool season. Starting to get grim up north, visibility in the hills etc. Best to hit the beach this time of the year.

If you just want to visit the city area & "night life", you should be fine. (Don't forget your n95 standard face mask..... wink.png )

Edited by MESmith

Anyone saying it never gets as bad as bkk during rush hour should check their facts. It gets way worse especially up in chiangrai mae said and mae Hong son. These measurements of 1xx are just the beginning and might rise to over 300. Bangkok never gets that bad. Beijing gets over 2000 so there is a certain perspective that it could be worse. According to western standards anything over 70 is pretty bad. I'm talking pm-10 small dust particles.

I'd really like to leave chiangmai from half of march till the end of April.

• Like 1

The shitty breath coming out from the Shin clan's mouths?

Really? I was hoping to escape from idiotic Reds & Yellows, but some people (on either side) can't seem to give it a rest.

I am here to get informed advice regarding my upcoming apolitical trip from helpful/knowledgeable members ....

• Like 1

Cue caretaker-PM rushing to the scene, out of concern for the local voters residents, and unavoidably missing a certain meeting with the NACC in Bangkok ? whistling.gif

@ tx22cb I wouldn't say it's yet all-that-bad, although one can certainly smell the smoke in-the-air from time-to-time now, so OK to come up to Chiang Mai !

"Safety limits say small dust particles should not go beyond 120mg per cubic metre of air."

Facts from the World Health Organization:

The 120 μg/m3 8-hour mean is based on Ozon and was reduced to 100 μg/m3

I think we have to compare to the below figures:

Particulate matter Guideline values

Particles with an aerodynamic diameter smaller than 2.5 µm
10 μg/m3 annual mean
25 μg/m3 24-hour mean

Particles with an aerodynamic diameter smaller than 10 µm

20 μg/m3 annual mean
50 μg/m3 24-hour mean

• Like 1

The authorities are well aware of the deliberate and shocking annual burning of the mountain sides in the provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but they choose to do nothing to stop it. There is no concern for the environment.

The burning starts during the second half of February and continues through to about mid April every year.

In my area, whole ranges of mountains are seen to be ablaze during this period, creating dense acrid and choking smoke which spreads over most of the two provinces.

Officials like to refer to the smoke as " dust " or " haze" , implying that it is a natural phenomenon.

• Like 2

The authorities are well aware of the deliberate and shocking annual burning of the mountain sides in the provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but they choose to do nothing to stop it. There is no concern for the environment.

The burning starts during the second half of February and continues through to about mid April every year.

In my area, whole ranges of mountains are seen to be ablaze during this period, creating dense acrid and choking smoke which spreads over most of the two provinces.

Officials like to refer to the smoke as " dust " or " haze" , implying that it is a natural phenomenon.

No. no...it's the Laotians, Chinese and Burmese, who they have no control over.

Have to disagree here I'm afraid. I have also seen satellite images during the burning season and they clearly show the fires do not magically stop at the Thai border....far from it.

The Thai authorities do have to sort this out here though. What's the point of having the ruling family from Chiang Mai if they won't use a bit of clout locally to address the problem. They're bugger all use otherwise.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

We lived in Singapore a few years ago and were hit with the "haze" - seems CM not so bad

Motorcycle ride from Chiang Mai up to Thaton, over to Chiang Rai and back to Chiang Mai this past weekend. Air was extremely bad north of Mae Rim. Couldn't see the mountain in Chiang Dao at all. Fang not much better. Next day, coming back through Chiang Rai, the air was much better, at least based on visibility. Perhaps just because it was a different valley? Further east? Air is pretty bad to the south of Chiang Mai just now as well. Blowing my nose an awful lot around Chiang Mai these days. Only my opinion, but recommend tx22cb consider Cha-am or Ko Chiang as an alternative to the Chiang Mai area, until at least Songkran.

The burning in the north creates far dirtier air than you get in Bangkok, and its for more than a couple of months per year. The funny thing is, when I speak to Thais around Bangkok they always mention about how clear the air must be in Chaing Mai, when it's actually much better in Bangkok. Typically, you get sore throats and runny noses on a regular basis and sometimes you can even taste the crap in the air at the back of your mouth in the early morning.

I have left Chiang Mai partly for that reason and my kids are joining me now in Bangers. I cannot in good conscience keep them exposed to that kind of pollution for years on end. It is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the North of Thailand.

Edited by 15Peter20

Lampang (or more precisely the hamlet of Mae Moh) is home to the largest coal fired power station in south east asia. This power station burns lignite, otherwise known as brown coal, "dirt" as some refer to it in the Latrobe valley in Australia.

No doubt this is contributing somewhat to the pollution.

• Like 1