Chiang Mai Bikers

Celtica

As a recently arrived permanent resident residing in Chiang Mai, I am interested to communicate with any like minded bikers (by this I clearly do not infer 'bikies' as is so commonly the vernacular for outlaw bikers in my native Australia) who are into rides/occasional social contact etc in and around the area. I would also appreciate any information re existing formally organised or informal groups which may exist for the abovementioned purposes.Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.

Do you mean cyclists riding bicycles around CM and the surrounding areas. I know of a few groups that do rides on Sunday.

Or do you mean bikers that ride motorcycles? Which also there are groups but the largest riding groups are in pataya.

Yep, GT Rider web site is a good place to start.

They have an informal dinner last Friday of every month - so tomorrow night at Franco Thai restaurant from 7pm onwards would be a good chance to meet folks. PM me if you need more info.

Edited by Tywais
Link to forum removed
  • Like 1

To further clarify the issue-I was referring to motorcycles, not bicycles, so apologies for any confusion caused!

With respect to the current bike situation, I am in the process of purchasing a 650cc bike, so the issue of distance is of little concern, especially given my recent time in Western Australia where we would ride anything from 500-800 km in a given day. Having said that, and also having ridden in Thailand in recent years, where the road conditions etc generally lessen the overall distance covered in a day's riding. I would be up for any trips in the near future which can be done in a day, the distance not really being a consideration. I am more interested in getting together with some like minded individuals who have not lost the love of riding and where the less draconian policing allows for a rider to use his common sense as to what is a reasonable speed etc given the conditions, and not having this imposed by the state authorities who in Australia at least have adopted the stringently enforced policing of speed to ridiculous lengths. So thanks for the logical question.

Cheers

Dave

One post removed and one edited due to this forum rule.

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Yes I have been there on a trip to Pai. Like so many of the roads in the North bloody brilliant after the dross I was forced to endure for too many years in W.A. where finding a series of corners was a miracle to say the very least!! Trouble was, the Police seemed to have much the same idea and would place rear facing speed cameras in these locations and the consequences were NOT good- like immediate impounding of your bike, loss of licence for 12 months plus huge fines. I know, I got caught with a number of mates doing about 176kmh in a 90kmh zone miles from anywhere and have the convictions to remind me of 'the error of my ways'. I guess you live and learn, and in my case this was also a major contributory factor in locating permanently in Thailand. I just could not endure the Police State mentality any more!!

Which 650cc bike are you buying... Kawi Ern6 ?.... whatever bike you buy you will want to open it up - the best stretch of pavement I know for this also makes a good day ride;

out on the 107 north to ChiangDao (good food/drink @ Chiangdao bikers saloon)...continue another 45kms on the 107 - turn right onto 1346, nice stretch through the national park - turn left on the 1150 into Phrao then a right after the petrol station onto 1001- excellent road conditions with long straights and low traffic. 45kms to the Buatong waterfall forest park on the left. Continue on back into town.

There is also a rustic road on the right after the waterfall that leads down to the Mae Ngat dam.

You may know this ride already, but worth the mention as a 'full-throttle' patch of pavement.

I ride a classic 92' Yamaha SRV250 that I re-built,being from Aussie-Land you should know about this one. Not a touring bike by any means but runs extremely well in a variety of conditions.

Happy Trails - Cheers

Thanks for the additional ride suggestion-it is really appreciated as I am on a real learning curve as to the best places to head where you can allow the bike to stretch its legs a little. Yeah I am aware of the SRV-they have become something of a collector's item in Aus. but there seem to be a few more for sale here I have noticed. It's great to see the variety of older bikes here that are affordable and from what I have seen so far, relatively available, with the SR 400 being the obvious example.There are some great examples of cafe racers for sale at the moment, but I have not really pursued them to verify their legality etc.

As to my own search, I have looked at a number of options including the Kawasaki ER6N you mentioned. I have ridden these before and they are a good all round proposition, so I am searching for a low km. example at the moment, especially if it has an aftermarket exhaust etc fitted. There are plenty in Bangkok, but I would prefer to buy locally to save the hassles of travel etc. So I guess I could put the feelers out right here and if anyone knows of something like this, please contact me.

Cheers

Dave

I have one-eye in the market for a 'touring' bike but just can't seem to find the right balance in a duel-purpose yet. My SRV250 is fun to ride but can't venture too far with it because no 'green book'. There are very few SRV in CM but loads of SR400,parts for which being plentiful and done-up in a variety of 'cafe racer' styles. There is apparently a trend with young Thais now towards bigger bikes with green-books.

I paid 29,000 for my bike,wasn't even running,put about 30,000 worth of parts and labour and the thing now runs near perfect.

I've rode the Ern650 ,handles very nicely with that 'Jetson-like' passing power but found it unstable on the road surfaces in the mountains.

I was recently impressed with the new Honda CB500, a buddy rented one from POPs to do a 4-day ride with me and it seemed just the right size for easy handling in off-road conditions and with balls of power. My friend is a GoldWing rider from Canada and he really liked the comfortable upright riding position it offered.

So much of the choice riding in the North involves degrees of off-road track (not referring to serious dirt trails) so a straight ahead street bike is going to leave you with a limited riding experience.

I keep coming back to the standard KLX or CFR 250's for the overall go-everywhere-indestructible bike suitable for this riding environment.

The KLR-650 most likely being the cat's meow.

Anyways, the choice is yours....... I'll keep the eye out for used bikes in the 400-650cc range for you. Cheers

post-129987-0-32069800-1393596568_thumb.

post-129987-0-36127100-1393596582_thumb.

I can certainly understand the issues of trying to choose the 'right' bike which is able to meet wide performance/terrain and general riding conditions, all of which are here in Thailand in abundance. I guess this is where the increased specialization of the bike market has produced a huge number of niche marketed bikes, all excellent in their individual area, but not necessarily meeting the overall needs of the general rider who must confront the good and the bad in terms of roads, riding conditions, luggage carrying capacity, pillion accommodation etc etc....This is where I often lament the passing of the old style UJM, with its capacity to be easily modified, adapted, and then used in most conditions, without being brilliant in any particular area. Bikes I have owned in the past such the Honda CB 750, Kawasaki Z1000 etc have met these expectations and been great to ride. Not always brilliant, but still fun!!

The new Honda 500s in both their guises are good bikes, although I have just heard that they are experiencing oil consumption issues which is a little alarming given the expectation that purchasing a new bike, and indeed a Honda is a sure road to reliability. The Kawasaki KLR-650 has certainly built a well founded reputation for being near indestructible, versatile and adequate performance one or two up. I have seen some really well equipped bikes in Aus with long range fuel tanks and the other necessities for long distance touring. Best of all is the extremely low price for what is a great bike. I have also heard that a local bike might be soon selling the excellent Suzuki 650 V Strom, a bike which a mate of mine owns and I have ridden many times, and which is a remarkable piece of kit for the price. Every review I have read agrees and the bike is far better than the price would suggest. This could be a real option for you.

Anyway, keep looking-something might turn up that is both suitable and legal for all riding here, Green Book and all.

Cheers

Dave

What type of riding are you into ? ... moderate speed straight road rides OR fast as you can handle (safely) twisty roads?

Tourers are a handful in cnx, fast riders are harder to find. ;)

You may want to try hanging out at Euro diner (tourers) on ratchwithi road or at Riders corner ( a little faster motard people) at moonmuang corner.

Also between 530-600pm Thai locals go up Doi Suthep and congregate at the view/meeting point before wat doi suthep temple, these are riders into high speed though. Some days have more riders than others.

If you want to try your luck heading to the top, park at the 'Aboretum ' before the zoo and wait for bikes to start going up the mountain...99% of the riders will be Thai.

To both recent replies to this topic, the information is greatly appreciated, as it is still all relatively new to me and this local knowledge is invaluable. It would take the proverbial age to gather this myself so again, many thanks!!

I guess I would like to form an association over time with a couple/few like minded riders who enjoy upping the pace, especially through the mountains and where other roads permit. This was the scene to which I belonged for many years in Australia until the previously mentioned police intervention, which put paid to such antics as the consequences became intolerable/expensive/just plain frustrating and really killed the joy of riding. This takes time and certainly cannot be manufactured-just right people at the right time I guess?

For the moment, the issue is the obtaining of a suitable bike, this being more difficult in Chiang Mai than I first assumed due to the Green Book issue and the smaller market than exists in Bangkok. So I am still searching for a good handling, well priced bike that will do the job. Wish me luck!!!