Thaksin To Be Setting Up Football Academy

george

Thaksin rumoured to be setting up academy

[sOCCER] Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s plans to lift the standards of local football took a new twist yesterday with rumours that he will launch a football academy in Thailand instead of buying a Premier League club in England.

An official at the Football Association of Thailand (FAT) revealed yesterday that the prime minister has given up the idea of buying a Premiership club after discussing the matter with Rick Parry, the president of Liverpool Football Club, two weeks ago.

According to the FAT official, the prime minister decided that being the owner of English football team would not help the Thai team get to the World Cup finals. He also discovered that even if he did own a club Thai players would be unlikely to get a chance to play in the Premier League due to restrictions on foreigners and work permits.

His new strategy, the official said, is to set up a football academy in Thailand with support from Liverpool.

“Recently the prime minister discussed the football project with Rick Parry and he was really interested in a football academy under the name of Liverpool Academy,” the source said.

“The public sector will support the preliminary budget and seek the best location to establish the campus. Liverpool will be responsible for coaching and training,” the source added.

The FAT official said the prime minister hopes this project will help improve the skills of local players, particularly the young, and sees the academy as a great opportunity for local kids to train and play for Liverpool in England.

Last year, Thaksin made tentative enquiries about purchasing Fulham, but Cottagers chairman Mohamed Al Fayed rejected his overtures. More recently he switched his attention to Liverpool as he looked to get involved in English football.

In other local football news the Brazilian head coach of the national team, Carlos Roberto Carvalho, said he was impressed by his team’s training session yesterday, but also revealed that fitness may be a big problem before their next match against Yemen in their World Cup qualifying match.

“The players always show strong determination to win matches during training. But they have to take care of themselves, especially their health, because this is the weak point of the team,” he said.

“I admit that Yemen is one of the most dangerous teams, but I haven’t set a plan for this match yet. I have to check on the players’ fitness first,” he added.

Thailand will play their away Group 5 match against Yemen on March 31.

--The Nation 2004-03-04

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s plans to lift the standards of local football took a new twist yesterday with rumours that he will launch a football academy
i'm for this, i would rather see someone besides moon face involved in it.
According to the FAT official, the prime minister decided that being the owner of English football team would not help the Thai team get to the World Cup finals.

world cup finals? is he serious...lol

i knew thaksin's original intentions were only to find a way for thai players to play in a decent league. he doesn't give a rat's ass about the team he wanted to buy or the existing players like a normal team owner would.

He also discovered that even if he did own a club Thai players would be unlikely to get a chance to play in the Premier League due to restrictions on foreigners and work permits.
i like this one. the richest man in thailand, our prime minister can't get work permits for thai professional football players in england.

if an athelete from thailand has enough talent in his sport he will be granted a thai diplomatic passport, like paradon has for tennis.

English fret over rise in imports into Premier League

The Express on Sunday said only 103 of the 220 players -- less than half -- expected to start the Premier League season were English.

sounds like only 103 out of 220 are english players so, maybe it was a little more than "restrictions on foreigners and work permits". thaksin is not powerful, just wealthy and again he displays stupidity.

If he bought a ladies football team in the UK he wouldnt have any problem finding enough female Thai players to get going.

Even back in Enfield (north London)we have more than a full squad and all have visas and work permits.

If they frighten me what chance would Man.U have..?

ps Can I be coach/cleaner/physio :o