Red shirts wear rebellion headbands to welcome Yingluck

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Suthep has been dividing the nation with his speeches every night for the past 4 months.

This is the result. I hope he likes it.

It's his only achievement in 4 months.

Suthep has shone a bright light on this government, its failed policies and mounting debt, causing the cockroaches to run for the darkness. If they decide that they want to form their own little destitute ghetto and rob each other blind, that is their own business, and certainly no fault of Suthep.

However, those advocating secession might want to take a look at the penalties that apply to the crime of real sedition.

Chiang Mai is the most wonderful place on the planet and will never be a 'little destitute ghetto' no matter who runs it.

Good grief. You haven't seen much of the world, have you? Climb up Doi Suthep (no pun intended) and see how 'wonderful' the pollution over Chiang Mai is. Ever heard of air quality? There is more to life than Northern women.

http://ourchiangmai.com/air-pollution-in-chiang-mai-thailand/

If you had visited Cold Blow Lane you'd understand more about his postings, providing you got out alive.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Republic means that you have a president as head of state.

The Lanna people are not republicans.

Get a better translation please.

I think the translation is completely plausible, given certain other declarations that have happened recently. Sor = sao seua = Saatharanarach = Republic, Por = pao pla = Prachaathipatai = Democracy, Por = pao pla = Prachaachon = Citizen / People.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's correct. You can see the original version in Thai language newspapers. Following the Laos version (which it copies), it would be the Lanna People's Democratic Republic.

• Like 2

Someone's well educated wife is in denial. I read Thai better than I speak it and dru2's translation(now deleted) is correct.

Thank you. "People's Democratic Republic of Lan Na" (now without the Thai).

Someone's well educated wife is in denial. I read Thai better than I speak it and dru2's translation(now deleted) is correct.

Mrs T just saw it, not a happy bunny. There were a few Yingluck buffalo comments, along with Thaksin is a criminal who steals money from the farmers. The rest is not repeatable on TV, but one angry Thai person from the NE.

Thai Rouge can keep this up, it will hang them.

Suthep has been dividing the nation with his speeches every night for the past 4 months.

If the people of Issan want to become a republic then let them.

I just hope they have to get apply for a work permit, get a visa, do 90 day reporting and are denied the right to buy land or get a personal loan from the banks, just like any other foreigner. If they decide to move or work in The Kingdom of Thailand.

Sorry to be so cynical but this is just a power grab, an opportunity by some of the more extreme elements of the red shirt movement to make a play for carving out their slice of the pie. To convince the people of Issan they are better off without the rest of Thailand, with the reds as their leaders and a select few of the reds in charge of the purse strings.

A separation that results in a separate sovereign State will be a sad day for me and many.

On the other hand, I can understand the feelings of the Lanna majority 'Northern people'. In the past, they were afraid of letting people know of their Lanna heritage or linkage. They are happy to be part of the Kingdom of Thailand, but they are now fighting because they don't want to be pushed to the edge of the cliff after stepping backward many steps. They are feeling that they are unjustly ruled by the South and are forcing them to establish their own destiny.

Whether they will be better off or not is very subjective and is immaterial to them. Nothing is more better off than human dignity and they believe they can do without what 'the rest of Thailand' needs.

If a separate sovereign Sate happened in the 'North', we are going to see a new 'Geo-political' landscape.

BTW, I am of proud LANNA linkage and I am not afraid to mention that now.

• Like 2

I would nominate you as Interior Minister in a red cabinet if only Thai's gave a rats arse about farang opinion.

If you haven't noticed, the OP is about Thai opinion.

Well you never seem to shy away from expressing your own biased opinion.

I know of quite a few red shirt members who are quite active in these protests. Why? They pay taxes and are tired of their money being wasted.

I think the translation is completely plausible, given certain other declarations that have happened recently. Sor = sao seua = Saatharanarach = Republic, Por = pao pla = Prachaathipatai = Democracy, Por = pao pla = Prachaachon = Citizen / People.

Just showed this to my wife (well educated Thai) and she has no idea what you are talking about.

Does your "Saatharanarach" have the same anti monachy meaning as the English word "Republic"?

Would your wife care to give a better translation then please?

A separation that results in a separate sovereign State will be a sad day for me and many.

On the other hand, I can understand the feelings of the Lanna majority 'Northern people'. In the past, they were afraid of letting people know of their Lanna heritage or linkage. They are happy to be part of the Kingdom of Thailand, but they are now fighting because they don't want to be pushed to the edge of the cliff after stepping backward many steps. They are feeling that they are unjustly ruled by the South and are forcing them to establish their own destiny.

Whether they will be better off or not is very subjective and is immaterial to them. Nothing is more better off than human dignity and they believe they can do without what 'the rest of Thailand' needs.

If a separate sovereign Sate happened in the 'North', we are going to see a new 'Geo-political' landscape.

The thing is, Lan Na was a Kingdom - as I am sure you well know - and not a People's Democratic Republic.

The relatives of the former northern rulers, the chao mueang, are still around of course - but maybe a new chao mueang from San Kamphaeng would rule this highly unlikely (indeed impossible) statelet? Chao Thaksin perhaps? In some UDD dreams, no doubt, but not mine, and I have lived in the north for 25 years.

And where is Dr Bruce when an intelligent response is needed?

• Like 1

The thing is, Lan Na was a Kingdom - as I am sure you well know - and not a People's Democratic Republic.

The relatives of the former northern rulers, the chao mueang, are still around of course - but maybe a new chao mueang from San Kamphaeng would rule this highly unlikely (indeed impossible) statelet? Chao Thaksin perhaps? In some UDD dreams, no doubt, but not mine, and I have lived in the north for 25 years.

And where is Dr Bruce when an intelligent response is needed?

Thank you for your input on the issue.

My comment is not about whether it is a "People's Democratic Republic" or a resurrection of the LANNA kingdom. They may want a Chao Thaksin or any other name since Thaksin and all his siblings have Royal blood through the linkage of his mother.

It is about people are being pushed to the cliff after stepping backward many steps. The feeling of being unjustly ruled by the South and not being treated equal and the continuous belittling and denigrating them are forcing them to establish their own destiny.

Things are gradually changing since 25 years ago - regionally and globally.

If a separate sovereign Sate happened in the 'North', we are going to see a new 'Geo-political' landscape. I meant the world will see a new 'Geo-political' landscape and adjust to it accordingly in their international policies and trade.

If the people of Issan want to become a republic then let them.

I just hope they have to get apply for a work permit, get a visa, do 90 day reporting and are denied the right to buy land or get a personal loan from the banks, just like any other foreigner. If they decide to move or work in The Kingdom of Thailand.

Sorry to be so cynical but this is just a power grab, an opportunity by some of the more extreme elements of the red shirt movement to make a play for carving out their slice of the pie. To convince the people of Issan they are better off without the rest of Thailand, with the reds as their leaders and a select few of the reds in charge of the purse strings.

They should really get down to it and propose a name for their new mini-state. Probably Outer Laos would be best. Or who knows, they might even want to unite with Laos, so they could have an official communist government. Either way, if they still dream of a rice cartel, they better look at the prices and the glut that they themselves have helped create. Any new mini-Laos wouldn't have the GDP of Fiji.

yes of course a farang knows the meaning of thai words better than a thai, how stupid of them, all they needed to do was ask a red farang what their language really meanswhistling.gif

Red-shirt followers wore white headbands bearing the acronym “sor por por Lanna” ( the Democratic Republic of Lanna People) to welcome caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra

Some of the red shirts also carried little red and white flags as they cruised around the district in motorcycles to give morale support to Ms Yingluck.

1393582259-5570000024-o.jpg
1393582275-5570000024-o.jpg

Republic of Lanna supporters

Someone who is also proud of the Lanna heritage, albeit before the recent preference switch by Red Shirts from a Lanna monarchy to a Lanna Republic, is Pheu Thai Party MP and Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop.

945628_509887629060928_1549254044_n.jpg

Pictures of Thai Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi in full costume reportedly as the 13th century Lanna King Mangrai. Plodprasob will be taking part in a play in the run-up to the 2nd Asia-Pacific Water Summit in Chiang Mai on May 18-19, 2013.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/107631/tongue-thaied-of-garbage-and-kings-and-deputy-pms/

Edited by Davidhere
  • Like 2

Suthep has shone a bright light on this government, its failed policies and mounting debt, causing the cockroaches to run for the darkness. If they decide that they want to form their own little destitute ghetto and rob each other blind, that is their own business, and certainly no fault of Suthep.

However, those advocating secession might want to take a look at the penalties that apply to the crime of real sedition.

Will Suthep suffer the same penalties for calling for the overthrow of democracy and the imposition of an unelected people's council? It's not as if he hasn't called for violence to further his goals either (remember his recent "popcorn" speech).

The fact that he is not in jail right now highlights Thailand's current lack of rule of law, which is fuelling all of this secession stuff.

You missed the word "real" used to describe the charge of sedition. Suthep calling for the removal of a corrupt government and reforms to the system was described as sedition by his opponents, the courts will/have ruled otherwise. Secession OTOH is a much clearer case.

Someone who is also proud of the Lanna heritage, albeit before the recent preference switch by Red Shirts from a Lanna monarchy to a Lanna Republic, is Pheu Thai Party MP and Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop.

945628_509887629060928_1549254044_n.jpg

Pictures of Thai Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi in full costume reportedly as the 13th century Lanna King Mangrai. Plodprasob will be taking part in a play in the run-up to the 2nd Asia-Pacific Water Summit in Chiang Mai on May 18-19, 2013.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/107631/tongue-thaied-of-garbage-and-kings-and-deputy-pms/

Yep, it's that 'king Plodrasop.