AIS spat latest symptom of our diseased politics

webfact

EDITORIAL
AIS spat latest symptom of our diseased politics

The Nation

The corrupting influence of business interests is being laid bare once again as the telecom company comes under attack for old links with Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- That telecom giant AIS must publicly deny it has business links with the Shinawatra family is a small irony. Thaksin Shinawatra always proclaimed respect for 1997's "People's Constitution", so his former company having to publicly distance itself from the ex-premier does the now-defunct charter scant justice. Simply put, if that Constitution had been honesty upheld, AIS would not have been in this awkward, if not embarrassing, situation.

People say the 1997 Constitution was strong on rights and liberty. That's just half the story. The charter's essence was its anti-corruption mechanism, based on strengthened checks and balances and tough rules against conflicts of interests. AIS, almost sounding desperate, insisted that it has had nothing to do with the Shinawatras since 2006, but apparently it has yet to convince many subscribers.

There is no need to recall the controversies involving the sale of Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasek. It was what Thaksin did in his early days as prime minister that prompted questions about massive business interests mixed with political power. Thaksin became the premier in extreme defiance of the constitutional provisions regarding conflict of interest, but his landslide election victory overshadowed the anxiety, and the rest is history.

The current campaign against AIS could be legitimate, or it might be a political ploy. Either way, it highlights Thailand's failure to abide by the crucial will of the 1997 charter. Had the constitutional prohibitions been taken seriously, the AIS declaration would not have been necessary.

The 1997 Constitution was enacted because the country seemed unable to cope with two major problems. The first was insufficient public participation in politics. The second was massive corruption, which was often attributed to politicians holding interests in business firms - openly or secretly. The charter's drafters wanted its intentions on these two issues to be equally respected. As it turned out, the drafters were just dreaming.

On assuming political office, Thaksin transferred his Shin Corp shares to his son. That was the closest thing he did to observing constitutional rules on conflict of interest. It was not enough, obviously. Panthongtae Shinawatra was too young at the time, and what the Thaksin government did regarding the telecom industry was extremely dubious, to say the least. Liberalisation of the industry was delayed. And when something had to be done regarding liberalisation, Shin Corp allegedly benefited from government moves.

When Shin was sold to the Singaporeans there was an outcry because the Shinawatras paid no tax on the deal. The ambiguous share-ownership of suspected nominees of the Shinawatras was noted. Some of these featured in the share-concealment case Thaksin faced, and survived, at the very beginning of his tenure as prime minister.

If the current campaign against AIS is unfair, so was the treatment of the 1997 constitutional rules on conflict of interest. After all, the rules were to be strictly followed, not dodged.

AIS can blame Suthep Thaugsuban and his movement, but the telecom firm should also point its finger at those who failed to respect the 1997 charter. What's happening is a hard lesson, especially for countries like Thailand, where politics and business interests can only corrupt one another.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-01

Perhaps the Nation and others might also like to scrutinise share ownership in other businesses that are seemingly defined by their political affiliations and connections to the rich and the powerful.

Do we really all believe that nominee share ownership is the sole preserve of the Shinawattra family?

If you do, think again. For decades in Thailand, business success has relied on the patronage and influence of those in power in exchange for even more wealth.

How many ex military and ex politicians serve on the boards of the major companies?

Go look.

sent from my hippo phone

Agree let them start with True. The informed rumors are that Suthep own shares in True through a proxy. He is a very close friend of the owners/family (well known fact). True have recently been downgraded to junk by Moody's because of problems in their mobile unit (its losing money and causing cash flow problems for the group). Now if you put two and two together you get Suthep's integrity = 0.

• Like 2

Perhaps the Nation and others might also like to scrutinise share ownership in other businesses that are seemingly defined by their political affiliations and connections to the rich and the powerful.

Do we really all believe that nominee share ownership is the sole preserve of the Shinawattra family?

If you do, think again. For decades in Thailand, business success has relied on the patronage and influence of those in power in exchange for even more wealth.

How many ex military and ex politicians serve on the boards of the major companies?

Go look.

sent from my hippo phone

I attended a public conference with a leading Thai speaker who pointed out facts based upon his research that of all SET listed companies, approx. 75% of them are closely held companies by certain Thai families, who call all the shots in business decisions for those companies. The shareholders just go along for the ride hoping that such decisions make them money. I also personally know ministers of prior and current gov't who own private companies, which nobody knows about. This has been accepted political and business practice in Thailand for many decades and cannot get rid of this by passing laws that are not enforced because the enforcers are also on the take.

Corruption like this is embedded into the core and fabric of the Thai culture and have to put up with it, regardless of who is in power, and as farangs we have no vote in changing it. It does not bother me in the least and if it does bother anyone that much, they always know where the door is to exit the country. Regardless of how long one has been resident in any country, involvement with local politics is never advised, as one Indian guy found out recently.

• Like 1

There are many innocent parties involved and Mr. Suthep wants to scruntize the Shinawatra family only. If AIS has a mass layoffs, I wonder if Mr. Suthep and these protesters will continue to provide them income and foods on the table.

No, and why should he? This is the very essence of democracy. You act as if the people who work there have no responsibility for choosing a company with moral integrity. They were all well aware of the Thaksin connection when they accepted a job at AIS. It is not Suthep's responsibility to provide for them because they elected to ignore the moral component of what they were doing.

It is disingenuous to try and claim that some people are "innocent" in all of this. When you support a tyrant in any fashion, you become responsible. A democracy requires everyone to accept the responsibility for their choices. That goes from purchasing products to accepting employment, and it works the same way on both sides.

Choices mean things, and you can't claim to be innocent simply because you want to be lazy and ignore the crimes and corruption you indirectly support. You can not separate economics from politics. If you take a job from a company that funds tyranny, you are condoning tyranny. And the people who suffer under that tyranny have every right to call you on it. And the fact that 51% of the population support tyranny doesn't make it any less heinous.

Nobody deserves to die over this, but many people deserve to be slapped across the face and be made to understand the consequences of their choices. Supporting crime and corruption has consequences, even if you only indirectly support it. Unfortunate as it may be to those who would rather ignore it, this is what a democracy is all about.

If you don't like democracy, that is fine. But you can't pick and choose only the convenient parts. Democratic societies have equivalent responsibilities. You are not innocent simply because you neglect those responsibilities. People need a wakeup call to learn what democracy truly means. This is a great way to show them in a way that might actually hurt enough to get them to change their ways.

If someone else wants to to take a stab at making Suthep's family money an investment pariah as well then I would support that too. Anyone who became rich stealing from people needs to be punished. By accepting the graces of their investment, that person becomes an accessory. By working for that company, the employee becomes an accessory. Blood money comes with a cost, and the Shin enterprises, investors and employees are learning that.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Go look.

sent from my hippo phone

With due respect , I think the article indicates that this company (among other Shinawatra company's) was the start of the troubles in Thailand , but you make good point Thaskin is not the only one milking the pig.

Go look.

sent from my hippo phone

Hear , hear Arthur.

What do they mean "again". Every politician in Thailand has his own business.

There are many innocent parties involved and Mr. Suthep wants to scruntize the Shinawatra family only. If AIS has a mass layoffs, I wonder if Mr. Suthep and these protesters will continue to provide them income and foods on the table.

I'm figuring True or 12 Call would snap up all AIS technically trained employees with their increase in business.

Geodesic, you think I don't support democracy? That is your belief. Your long argument has no bearing on me whatsoever. We have differences in our opinions. It is nice to live in a perfect world, but let's face it. Corruption is in every countries. I am not saying it is okay. Improvement needs to be made, but not this way. I foresee this situation way in advance when Mr. Suthep continues with the protesting after achieving to stop the amnesty bill. I don't have to say much. I know you have enough brain to think for yourself. Let's just say I respect your point of view, but I will not jump in the same ship as you.

Edited by stickyrice2000

I'm figuring True or 12 Call would snap up all AIS technically trained employees with their increase in business.

Erm is not 12-call AIS? they already have the AIS technically trained employees.

No, and why should he? This is the very essence of democracy. You act as if the people who work there have no responsibility for choosing a company with moral integrity. They were all well aware of the Thaksin connection when they accepted a job at AIS. It is not Suthep's responsibility to provide for them because they elected to ignore the moral component of what they were doing.

It is disingenuous to try and claim that some people are "innocent" in all of this. When you support a tyrant in any fashion, you become responsible. A democracy requires everyone to accept the responsibility for their choices. That goes from purchasing products to accepting employment, and it works the same way on both sides.

Choices mean things, and you can't claim to be innocent simply because you want to be lazy and ignore the crimes and corruption you indirectly support. You can not separate economics from politics. If you take a job from a company that funds tyranny, you are condoning tyranny. And the people who suffer under that tyranny have every right to call you on it. And the fact that 51% of the population support tyranny doesn't make it any less heinous.

Nobody deserves to die over this, but many people deserve to be slapped across the face and be made to understand the consequences of their choices. Supporting crime and corruption has consequences, even if you only indirectly support it. Unfortunate as it may be to those who would rather ignore it, this is what a democracy is all about.

If you don't like democracy, that is fine. But you can't pick and choose only the convenient parts. Democratic societies have equivalent responsibilities. You are not innocent simply because you neglect those responsibilities. People need a wakeup call to learn what democracy truly means. This is a great way to show them in a way that might actually hurt enough to get them to change their ways.

If someone else wants to to take a stab at making Suthep's family money an investment pariah as well then I would support that too. Anyone who became rich stealing from people needs to be punished. By accepting the graces of their investment, that person becomes an accessory. By working for that company, the employee becomes an accessory. Blood money comes with a cost, and the Shin enterprises, investors and employees are learning that.

What are u going on about. The company was sold in 2006 and it has nothing to do with thaksin. People working there knew the connection and should know the risk.

My lord, what a ridiculous concept. If there is any financial damage to AIS I hope the sue Suthep for every satang of it.

Lest we forget that not at any point has AIS or Temasak been prosecuted for breaking any laws.

What a load of CR*p your statement is. Employees of AIS don't deserve to be punished for anything.

What are u going on about. The company was sold in 2006 and it has nothing to do with thaksin. People working there knew the connection and should know the risk.

My lord, what a ridiculous concept. If there is any financial damage to AIS I hope the sue Suthep for every satang of it.

Lest we forget that not at any point has AIS or Temasak been prosecuted for breaking any laws.

What a load of CR*p your statement is. Employees of AIS don't deserve to be punished for anything.

Got shares have we?

You are all forgetting something quite fundamental.

Network hardware and capacity.

All telecoms, yes all, set up subsiduaries to deliver and administer the actual service you use and receive, including the base stations, servers, switching stations etc.

No shares involved, but legal and binding in Thai law.

Baying for the blood of all things AIS is simply barking up the wrong tree, as Suthep wants you to.

The migration of customers from AIS benefits who exactly; the customers or the shareholders?

Check out True's or Dtac's major shareholders.

I bet you'll be none the wiser who they are.

Remember, Google is your friend.

sent from my hippo phone

• Like 1

Got shares have we?

Have an lrf. Everyone with one probably has some AIS in there. Accusing the employees of being naive to work for AIS because of the politic risk is idiotic.

As a shareholder its fair game. As an employee not.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Thaksin did not transfer the shares to his son. He transferred to his maid and driver.The law states he could not transfer to his immediate family. Thaksin still owns part of AIS through his favourite nominee Thai-Malaysian Chinese who mostly lives in Malaysia. This businessman is also a favourite of the Lee family of Singapore who basically "owns" Singapore.

Go look.

sent from my hippo phone

Hooray. Well put.

As though Thaksin is the only politician in the history of Thailand to write laws that benefitted his company. All sides have their skeletons. Lets look at list of prohibited businesses to foreigners and wonder how many of the family owners of these companies have sitting ministers and MPs. Virtually ALL. Oh wow is me, Thaksin has ruined the country, meanwhile it costs 500 baht to get a printed account from a bank, and to transfer money WITHIN the SAME bank attracts a charge.

I wonder to which party the Lamsam and Sophonpanich families are allied to. Foreigners into the country to make beer? Not on your nelyl, thank you Miss Bhirombhakdi. Retailers? Tesco and a few others yes, under the suffrance of permenent threat of being called as nominees? Agribusiness open to foreigners? No way, they might pay a bit more and shake it up? Phones? Of course, Thaksin did a hideous thing selling to foreigners. But ummm. So did that Democrat stalwart family the Bangcharongkuls. And the list goes on and on.

The hypocrisy of this story about Thaksin is really wearing thin. THEY ALL DO IT.

• Like 1

Foreigner company only allow to hold 49 % where is the rest 51%?

One may remember the sales of AIS back when Thaksin was PM. The law was that companies such as telecommunication companies could only be owned by foreigners up to 25% (National security etc).

Then Thaksin pushed a law through paliament changing that figure to 49%. One single day (!) after the law passed, the deal with Temasek was sealed.

A fine example of mixing politics with private interests, but oh so typical for the Shinawatra's.

Foreigner company only allow to hold 49 % where is the rest 51%?

One may remember the sales of AIS back when Thaksin was PM. The law was that companies such as telecommunication companies could only be owned by foreigners up to 25% (National security etc).

Then Thaksin pushed a law through paliament changing that figure to 49%. One single day (!) after the law passed, the deal with Temasek was sealed.

A fine example of mixing politics with private interests, but oh so typical for the Shinawatra's.

And what a ridiculous anachronism that was. Phone companies representing a national asset of state security. Strewth. What the hell is TOT for? And was DTAC in legal compliance with this 25% rule? All pure hypocrisy to be discussed over legal interpretation.

Edited by Thai at Heart