Thailand to sell 400,000 tonnes of rice to China this month

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Initially agreed; proposal; could; pending; maybe; gradually" . All very positive stuff we've heard before.

If 'ifs' and 'and 'ands' were pots and pans..........

Ifs and buts are but, "Ministerial Speak" in order to try and buy a little more time until the Minister and his/her cronies can think up another lame excuse for not delivering on their election promises.

At the price they are currently selling, 8,000 baht per ton, if they get that much from the Chinese, that's 3.2 billion baht. If they manage to sell all of, say 16 million tons, at that price, they'll get 128 billion baht, more or less enough to pay the farmers. But that is if there really is 16 million tons of reasonably useable rice in those warehouses. The only thing that remains then is a tiny, little loan of around 600 billion baht or whatever it is now. That's the entire amount of personal income tax in Thailand for three straight years.

The farmers are back in the mud, tax payers pick up the bill, a bunch of PTP politicians and their friends can sit back and enjoy their new fleet of luxury cars and foreign investments. There are some good reasons why people in Bangkok took to the streets.

Too true. It's funny how simple mathematics done in 30 seconds clearly shows the trouble the farmers, the government and the Agriculture bank are in. I don't believe for a minute that there is any deal on the table, why would there be? In the press over the last few days there is talk of freezing the rice due to growth of mould.. For what possible reason would China buy it?

Even if it was cheaper then market value (which it can't be as it would be considered dumping) for what reason would China need or want to buy it?

This is already coming home to roost and as predicted the farmers will be the ones to suffer,, they already are and its not getting easier. Also, unless I am mistaken the usual practice is that the banks get their money first before anyone else is paid out,, no mention of paying back the Agriculture bank.

Terrible scenario, I hope that the perpetrators of this obviously flawed (and allegedly corrupt) scheme are held accountable sometime in the future, it is going to take many years for the country to recover form this.

The 20 billion he is talking about getting is from the contingency fund set up as a fund to allow for any disasters that strike the country, like the tsunami or the floods.

This is administered by the national budget bureau who don't want to give it, as it would run the fund down to a level they believe would not be enough to cope with an emergency.

Whether the NBB have the ability to say no is another thing, they may just have to do what they are told.

But the EC still has to agree that using money from the fund is within the law.

Great news. Now only 15.6 MILLION tons are left in the stockpile for the insects, birds and rats to eat.

Once again the report did not say at what price the government sold the rice and from which crop. Wonder if they discounted for mold, insects, dead rats and birds or maybe there was a surcharge for the higher protein percentage.

The 2011-12 crop can't be worth much on the world market. Most of the oldest crop is probably not salable to any country for human consumption. I would guess that might be 30%.

They also fail to mention that when they introduced the Rice Pledging Scheme; the farmers started to grow a lower quality, faster growing rice, using more harmful chemicals in order to make higher profit.

Everyone feels sorry for the poor farmers, but they have to shoulder much of the blame for their own predicament.

Wasn't it a MILLION tons just YESTERDAY?

We have to acknowledge, EVERY day is a NEW day here.

So many twists and turns, unpredictable as a viper. Until right and wrong are taught, nothing will change.

Just these 2 words are the remedy --problem the wrongs outweigh the rights and pointing out wrongs can get people in deep trouble. Posters here trying to point out the wrongs we see in government are shot down with excuses, blame others is the main response.

they should call the Thai government...chubby checker...there are more twists and turns than even he was famous for

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

ok fine.......now.....at what price ? is it a good business for thailand ?.....facepalm.gif ....or is it only a whole sale to make cash money quickly to make some protester shut up......?

the government should give the real price they sell the ton to the chinese instead of giving the amount of money they will get,at the end.... another trick to disguise the truth perhaps ?

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

At the price they are currently selling, 8,000 baht per ton, if they get that much from the Chinese, that's 3.2 billion baht. If they manage to sell all of, say 16 million tons, at that price, they'll get 128 billion baht, more or less enough to pay the farmers. But that is if there really is 16 million tons of reasonably useable rice in those warehouses. The only thing that remains then is a tiny, little loan of around 600 billion baht or whatever it is now. That's the entire amount of personal income tax in Thailand for three straight years.

The farmers are back in the mud, tax payers pick up the bill, a bunch of PTP politicians and their friends can sit back and enjoy their new fleet of luxury cars and foreign investments. There are some good reasons why people in Bangkok took to the streets.

I do wonder how that affects the BAAC, in my understanding they are holding the value of the rice as part of their assets. As long as they don't realize the loss of the value they can claim (again, AFAIK) that they have 500 Billion or whatever in assets in their balance sheets. But the moment they start to sell their asset (the rice mountains) at half or less the price in which it was valued, then that surely will make the BAAC books rather reddish, no?

I'm not a banker and I don't play one on TV neither, so I'd like to hear some thoughts about that.

The 20 billion he is talking about getting is from the contingency fund set up as a fund to allow for any disasters that strike the country, like the tsunami or the floods.

This is administered by the national budget bureau who don't want to give it, as it would run the fund down to a level they believe would not be enough to cope with an emergency.

Whether the NBB have the ability to say no is another thing, they may just have to do what they are told.

But the EC still has to agree that using money from the fund is within the law.

You know what is the ironic thing in that?

Thaksin was counting on a large scale natural disaster to push up rice prices and make money with the scheme (I could try and dig up the interview were he said that if you'd like). Now not only that didn't happen but the government has to use a disaster contingency fund to prop it up.

In any case, what more needs to be said about this "successful" policy that it needs to be bailed out with money earmarked to cope with catastrophes?

funny this topic never gets the red brigade interested in a few quality comments ..says a lot w00t.gif

They are all too busy celebrating the "Downfall" of Suthep and the " victory" by the PTP. They are all breaking open the champagne at the possibility of another four years at the trough for Thaksin's minions.

However, come next week, after the 4th of March, events may well occur that will shake the Reds.

I may well be wrong, but I don't believe that this 'retreat" by Suthep is as insignificant as it seems.

And the 15th of March is also a date to watch Ide say.

cheers

• Like 1

so china or whatever country does not have to pay FOB ? they can get the rice and they will pay on the go ?

why no price or is that secret what they are paying, so they can pretend they are still making a profit on this scam ?

The "government" is desperate for money and the Chinese are surely going to drive a hard bargain.

I would bet that they want this years rice at a good price, and so will most other customers.

2011 rice will end up as livestock feed, but that will be the next government's pompam.

Transparency in rice sales is required, in order to speed the end of the Shinokleptocracy

ice sales at about Bt8 billion a month, he said, adding that the government would have nearly Bt50 billion, including borrowing from the central fund, to pay farmers for the rice pledging scheme this month.

and when February ends? Thais are poor in attaining promises. Been observed.

Great news. Now only 15.6 MILLION tons are left in the stockpile for the insects, birds and rats to eat.

Once again the report did not say at what price the government sold the rice and from which crop. Wonder if they discounted for mold, insects, dead rats and birds or maybe there was a surcharge for the higher protein percentage.

The 2011-12 crop can't be worth much on the world market. Most of the oldest crop is probably not salable to any country for human consumption. I would guess that might be 30%.

Rice sold is inspected by the buyer. Rice is also inspected before it is off loaded.

Your statement that the 2011-12 crop is not fit to be sold is an assumption. I saw one story of rotten grain in a wharehouse.

and that could very well be the fault of the wharehouse management.

Use of the National Disaster Fund to pay for the rice scam is rather ironic, what? Could it be considered an admission of its worth?

BTW I have to wonder if joining a farmer's protest increases or decreases your chances of being paid promptly. Paying the protesters would quiet them, but encourage others to protest.

I dont understand why China would want to buy rice?

dont they grow it (in larger quantities than Thailand???)

or is it like UK Natural Gas? (they sell it abroad for a high price and then buy-in cheap stuff?)

china is one of the if not thee largest importer of rice in the world.

Rice is up over 25% of what it was 1 year ago.

Burma is selling all of its surplus to China.

Rice sold is inspected by the buyer. Rice is also inspected before it is off loaded.

Your statement that the 2011-12 crop is not fit to be sold is an assumption. I saw one story of rotten grain in a wharehouse.

Off loaded?

At destination? If that happens the supplier pays for disposal. Separating mouldy from.non mouldy rice is incredibly expensive.

Off loaded?

At destination? If that happens the supplier pays for disposal. Separating mouldy from.non mouldy rice is incredibly expensive.

Yes at destination, it is also inspected at time of loading. Yes disposal would be expensive.

A good place to get an overview of what is involved is to look at the job description of a " Grain Inspector ".