ATM charge increase

I used my foreign bank card at a Kasikorn ATM last week and noticed that they increased the ATM charge from 150 to 180 Baht.

Does anybody knows if the other banks also increased their charge?

Luckily i only have to use my foreign card in emergencies but is is still annoying that they increased the charge.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Maybe K-bank felt having a Bt150 fee for Visa and Bt180 for Mastercard was discriminatory, so they made both of them Bt180. Sure they could have chosen to go with Bt150 for both but that would go against the basic banker rule of higher fees are better than lower fees.

Still using my metro card untill the 18th when they start charging ,usually use aeon ,now still150 but tried a few other banks first all 180 and trying to get you to use their conversion rate ,so did not bother with them ,shame about Metro ,its been a good 2 years but will close my account and go back to swift or using my card in the bank.

Price fixing. What's needed is an independent ATM company that charges say 100 baht, then all the business would be theirs - see how quick the banks follow! Just like Amazon killed the RRP price fixing on books and music.

• Like 1

Price fixing. What's needed is an independent ATM company that charges say 100 baht, then all the business would be theirs - see how quick the banks follow! Just like Amazon killed the RRP price fixing on books and music.

Dont' worry...the govt and Bank of Thailand won't let such a company come in and mess up a good thing for the banks. Yes, sleep tight.

• Like 1

Still using my metro card untill the 18th when they start charging ,usually use aeon ,now still150 but tried a few other banks first all 180 and trying to get you to use their conversion rate ,so did not bother with them ,shame about Metro ,its been a good 2 years but will close my account and go back to swift or using my card in the bank.

Aeon are now charging 150 Baht for transactions and only just recently. Well back to waiting 5 days for money transfers from Oz. I wonder if they did this due to much speculation it would happen from many members 3 months ago?

Today 2 ATM-withdrawels within a few minutes in a village of the Mae Hong Son Province by my Visa-Card

1. Government Saving Bank fee - 180 THB

2. Krungthai Bank (KTB) fee - 150 THB

It seems all Thai banks are on their way of adjusting the ATM fees, step by step.

• 2 weeks later...

So for now i think all banks "join the Rip-Off the Farang" Party.

Today try at Krung Sri and Thanachart with VISA CC both charge now 180THB.

The biggest Problem here is that there is no competition within the Banks all charge the same at the same Time increase the fees..there was for shure some Phone Calls beetween the Biggest Banks how to squeeze out more from the Farangs...:(

Numerous reports show English is not a strong point in Thailand...maybe when Thai banks were looking up the definition of competition they got confused and used the definition of collusion instead. Simple mistake.

• Like 1

Add SCB to the list. I was charged 180 baht today for the very first time.

There was a time when I could use my Nationwide card in an ATM and there was no charge now as well as the charge this end I also get charged a flat rate fee of £1 plus 2% on any withdrawals and that applies anywhere outside the UK. So I am back to withdrawing a large cash sum in the UK with all the attendant risks rather than taking smaller amounts from the ATM during my travels. I guess now that interest rates are so low the banks have just cast around and looked at other avenues for revenue.

There was a time when I could use my Nationwide card in an ATM and there was no charge now as well as the charge this end I also get charged a flat rate fee of £1 plus 2% on any withdrawals and that applies anywhere outside the UK. So I am back to withdrawing a large cash sum in the UK with all the attendant risks rather than taking smaller amounts from the ATM during my travels. I guess now that interest rates are so low the banks have just cast around and looked at other avenues for revenue.

Don't forget though when you change your Sterling into THB (or whatever) that you will be receiving a tourist rate, rather than the quoted exchange rate, so can end up as being "swings & roundabouts", when compared to receiving that minus the fees imposed by your home bank..

Don't forget though when you change your Sterling into THB (or whatever) that you will be receiving a tourist rate, rather than the quoted exchange rate, so can end up as being "swings & roundabouts", when compared to receiving that minus the fees imposed by your home bank..

At an ATM you receive the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate minus any foreign transaction fee charged my the card-issuing bank (and of course any local ATM which is now Bt150-180 for foreign cards).. And this also assumes you don't accept an ATMs possible offer to use their exchange rate which they might call the Bank Rate, Home Rate, or some other warm & fuzzy term, when in fact this is really nothing more than the bank's Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) rate which will be approx 3 to 4% lower than the Visa/Mastercard rate. It's a ripoff...and what makes it worst if your card-issuing bank applies a foreign transaction fee you probably still get hit with that fee also when the transaction hits your bank account.

As FYI the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate will be plus or minus a few stang of the TT Buying Rate (sometimes worst, sometime a little better) which Thai banks provide for incoming wire transfers and is about the best the common man can get without taking a wad of cash to some back soi shop or SuperRich. The Visa rate is usually a little better than the Mastercard rate. For example in comparing the Visa exchange rate and Thai bank average TT Buying Rate at the point it time, the Visa rate for a European bank issued card is 53.237 baht/GBP and the TT Buying Rate is 53.152 baht/GBP...at this point in time the Visa rate is a little better. Take a wad of cash to a SuperRich and you would get 53.35 baht/GBP.

So for now i think all banks "join the Rip-Off the Farang" Party.

Today try at Krung Sri and Thanachart with VISA CC both charge now 180THB.

The biggest Problem here is that there is no competition within the Banks all charge the same at the same Time increase the fees..there was for shure some Phone Calls beetween the Biggest Banks how to squeeze out more from the Farangs...sad.png

Banks, all banks are dirty, cheating, capitalist bastar-s.