is there a way to have 2 keyboards at the same time

CaitlinHappyMeal

hi, is there a way to have 2 keyboards set up all the time without having to flip between the input language? i know on my mac i can press command and space and it flips between the two which is great until i forget to flip and carry on typing and realise a minute or two later when i look up at the screen that I've just typed lots in the wrong language…….and then have to retype again. thought it would be easy to have 2 keyboards set up, i can't see a way to do it, yet they can send a man to the moon? biggrin.png

I've never tried it.

You didn't say what OS you have. The only problem I see is a possible IRQ conflict. In at least Win 7 or later and perhaps others, the system will detect a conflict and resolve it IF you plug the units in one at a time.

If your keyboard is using the small round PS/2 plug, then you could get a USB keyboard as the second one. They also make inexpensive adapters from PS/2 to USB.

Maybe someone else here has done it. Interesting question.

Googling for

X "2 keyboards"

I came across accounts of solutions for both OS X and Windows 7. They all seem to require special programs.

One reason that a solution may not be so easily accessible is that it is usually possible to change the keyboard mapping using the mouse. These interfaces are not built for controlling two different keyboards. Indeed, it could be awkward if one has a set up with a connected keyboard, a remote keyboard and a remote mouse, and one normally only uses one of the keyboards at a time.

What I would find more useful is a 'toggle script' command like the 'toggle case' command. The command would connect for the use of the wrong keyboard mapping, just as toggle case compensates for typing with caps lock at the wrong setting. Such a command in its full generality would be horrendously complicated, and wouldn't always work - one can have two keys that deliver the same character in one keyboard mapping but different characters in another mapping, and matters get even more complicated with caps lock.

From your description of the problem, I think having a second keyboard is more hassle than simply pressing alt+shift or ` or whatever other key combination you have configured to swap between the input language.

As you've said that the problem is you forget to change the language, then start typing in the wrong language. That means you'd only maybe type 2-3 characters before realising, at which point you'd press a button on your keyboard, delete the incorrect script and you're fine.

By comparison, if you have to change to a different keyboard, you'll probably still forget, type 2-3 incorrect characters, and then have to move one keyboard out of the way and put the new keyboard in it's place (Even if you have a really big desk, you'd probably want to move the keyboard so that you can type ergonomically to avoid straining your neck).

Pressing a button just seems a lot easier than using a second keyboard, but of course everyone has their own preferences :)

That means you'd only maybe type 2-3 characters before realising, at which point you'd press a button on your keyboard, delete the incorrect script and you're fine.

If CaitlinHappyMeal is anything like me, it will be three or four words rather than two or three letters.

You don't look at the screen when you type? Or just type really quickly?

I sometimes do the same thing but type so slowly in Thai that I'd not usually do more than a couple of characters before I look up and realize. In English I'm looking at the screen while typing so realize very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The issue you will have with two keyboards is that the language switching is a soft switch, that is the key combination that switches between languages will soft set the language in the OS then both keyboards will be in that language. The best way for language switching is to configure to use the Grave mark, if not done already, rather than the multiple key option, easier to remember and quicker.

grave+key.jpg

As Tywais says or the windows button and space, or like I have done add to bottom Task bar.. eg: have at this moment ENG that is UK English, click on it set up 2nd Thai, 3rd US English, 4th German.

I do have 2 keyboards [ forgot about that still being plugged in.. at least a year] but just found it a pain, just used space bar on other keyboard it works, but you set the PC so both keyboards type the same language