Help With Appliance Fixes

KelCastro

Hi everyone,

I have an Andis hair clipper (apx. 70USD) and a heating pad (apx 50USD) -- both originally bought in the US. The heating pad worked for a while -- but one day it seems like the switchboard or fuse inside the thing broke. The light still goes on, but it doesn't warm up. As for the clippers, we plugged them in at a hotel (a modern hotel actually), and they sorta "blew up". They don't turn on anymore.

I've heard that there are places that do these kind of repairs. If so, can anyone tell me where, how much it might cost, and if the "fix" is really worth it (do the repairs actually work - and if so, is it long-term?).

Just want to know if it's worth repairing or if it's better to buy new things.

Both bought in the US? Not sure if i am telling you how to suck eggs here but products such as these are unlikely to be dual voltage; US products are meant to run from 110Vac, in Thailand the line voltage is 220Vac. I am suprised they did not let the smoke out the second you plugged them in.

Not worth fixing regardless.

• Like 2

Both bought in the US? Not sure if i am telling you how to suck eggs here but products such as these are unlikely to be dual voltage; US products are meant to run from 110Vac, in Thailand the line voltage is 220Vac. I am suprised they did not let the smoke out the second you plugged them in.

Not worth fixing regardless.

Yep. Another of my draft fellow Americans trying to save a few bob by lugging all their 110 appliances and electronics from home and expecting them to work in Thailand. Don't bother posting when the TV blows up in your face.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

With some people; the light's are on, but no one there!

Are you sure you're not blonde?

Electric heating pads in Pattaya???

I've never seen one... too dangerous! Plenty of hot water bottles though.

Edited by BB1950

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here...

But yes, heating pads are used for sore muscles… even in warm climate. thumbsup.gif

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here...

But yes, heating pads are used for sore muscles… even in warm climate. thumbsup.gif

What I'm trying to say is the voltage here in Thailand is 220 volts. It's far to dangerous for use in electric heating pads! It's dangerous enough with the 110 volts in the US! A voltage converter usually isn't capable of handling the current used by a heating appliance. They sell hot water bottles here for sore muscles which you can obtain in most drug stores.

You remember these?

post-52310-0-22425300-1393786733_thumb.j

You fill them with hot water.

There's no electricity involved that could possibly kill someone! Yet it still supplies the heat needed. thumbsup.gif

Edited by BB1950