Marriage Documents

Bobe

My Thai wife and I were married in the US, but now she wants to be married in Thailand also. I was previously married. Does anyone know what douments will be required and do they have to be translated or can they be authenicated at the embassy?

you will have to take your divorce documents to the embassy. Go to American Citizen services, and tell them you need authorization to marry. They will give you the form, and attatch a copy of the fron page of your resolution of mariage. You will then need to get their certification translated into Thai. They will give you names of translation offices nearby. They will cgarge you a couple thousand baht and this includes sending the documents to the office of the foreign minister. They will be ready to pick up in a few days. when you go to the Amphur to register your marriage, take the documents with the stamp of the foreign minister with you.

A shorter way would be to get your U.S. marriage certificate translated into Thai, send to the foreign miniosters office and then take that to the Amphur.

Barry

It depends on what you mean by getting married in Thailand. If you've already been married in the US, then probably she just wants the ceremony in Thailand, but not the legal work. If that's the case, you don't need to do any paperwork. Just plan and have the ceremony. If she wants to be legally married in Thailand, first ask yourself why she wants this if you're already legally married in the US.

My Thai wife and I were married in the US, but now she wants to be married in Thailand also. I was previously married. Does anyone know what douments will be required and do they have to be translated or can they be authenicated at the embassy?

Bobe,

You do not need any paperwork as you are already married, so you have no need to register the marriage in Thailand. You are already legal. I think what your wife probably wants is the Buddhist family wedding and party after. Just bring money. :o

Cent

Bobe,

You do not need any paperwork as you are already married, so you have no need to register the marriage in Thailand. You are already legal. I think what your wife probably wants is the Buddhist family wedding and party after. Just bring money. :D

Cent

In law you cannot marry twice if you haven't got divorced. :o

As Cent says, you just need the Blessing Ceremony. An excuse for her family and friends to get drunk, and for you to show everyone you have lots of money. :D

It depends on what you mean by getting married in Thailand. If you've already been married in the US, then probably she just wants the ceremony in Thailand, but not the legal work. If that's the case, you don't need to do any paperwork. Just plan and have the ceremony. If she wants to be legally married in Thailand, first ask yourself why she wants this if you're already legally married in the US.

[/quote

My wife needs to change the name on her ID card, bank accounts, and retirement from the government, and also remove her name from her ex-husbnads house record. This is the first chance we have had to accomplish all these things. It is our first trip back in 5 years.

Bobe,

All she needs to do that is your marriage license. Might need it translated to Thai possibly. I don't remember now, but my wife has her passport in her married name now, as well as her Thai ID card. ID done on the local gov offices, and the passport we went to BKK to have done. Will not be hard to do all that you said, but may be a bit time consuming. You know how government offices work, or don't. :o House papers need to be done at the local Amphur where the house is located I believe. But, if she seems to think she needs to 'get married' in Thailand after being already married legally in the US to get these things done, it is not necessary as far as I know.

Cent