Bus driver in deadly crash charged with reckless driving

webfact

Why is it the police have to wait for an accident to charge these drivers. If they'ed only get off there ass and charge all the rest of the idiot bus and mini van drivers.

actually they wait for them to surrender

And the other thing I wonder is, will the judiciary have the courage to give him the sentence he deserves? Like 20 consecutive life sentences, rather than 2 years in jail, which is what I am guessing he will get. And of course, if his family has enough cash, he will probably spend no time in jail. Am I being cynical? Do you think for a minute that this level of cynicism is not based on the reality here? Has anyone ever seen a weaker judiciary anywhere in the world?

• Like 2

Ever ride in a Nakorn Chai Air bus? They are one of the biggest and best VIP buses here. When departing the station the driver welcomes passengers and says his name and the name of the assistant who gives out the water and snack. They stop after 6 hours (I think) always at the requisite khao thom restaurant. And then there is a new driver who takes over for the next leg.

It is not so hard for schools to learn a thing or two from companies already in the business.

The driver should be held accountable, but equally as importantly the school should be held accountable as well. Parents trust the school to take care of their children.

• Like 2

Making 80kph limiters mandatory on all trucks and buses here would slash the death toll overnight. It would even cut fuel bills. But yes, I know that's never going to happen.

This is a b****y great idea until we have to follow the b****y things for mile after mile. Most trucks and buses don't do more than 80 anyway. At least not on the busy road I travel on. Some buses on the Chonburi Motorway may do 110?

Ever ride in a Nakorn Chai Air bus? They are one of the biggest and best VIP buses here. When departing the station the driver welcomes passengers and says his name and the name of the assistant who gives out the water and snack. They stop after 6 hours (I think) always at the requisite khao thom restaurant. And then there is a new driver who takes over for the next leg.

It is not so hard for schools to learn a thing or two from companies already in the business.

The driver should be held accountable, but equally as importantly the school should be held accountable as well. Parents trust the school to take care of their children.

Ever ride in a Nakorn Chai Air bus? They are one of the biggest and best VIP buses here. thumbsup.gif clap2.gif

Nakornchai are professional as are The Transport company.

post-9891-0-06188300-1393993995_thumb.jppost-9891-0-72525100-1393994106_thumb.jp

These two companies IMHO are the professionals.

post-9891-0-93069000-1393994015_thumb.jppost-9891-0-68090400-1393994051_thumb.jppost-9891-0-66728900-1393994113_thumb.jp

These are the cowboys, usually music blaring, speeding in the fast lane. If the driver can stand up,

he's hired. How the hell these guys can see the road is quite beyond me.

• Like 2

So the bus driver is going to become a monk to make merit for the deaths of the passengers, is that before or after the 50 year sentence for murder?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

Hi,

Nakorn Chai Air buses are the best ever.

They had not had an accident for 10 years, then a while ago had 2 in about a week.

Don't remember them stopping on a trip from Bangkok to Udon Thani.

I will still travel with them.

aussiep

LOW GEAR ON HILLS WOULD WORK JUST AS WELL.

For PSV and HGV the rule is use the gear to go down hill that you would use uphill.

Surely that is simple enough for even Thais to understand....

In many cases apparently not. Haven't posters noticed MOST tour drivers are stuck for time ???? or is it they all think of Formula one when behind the wheel.

• Like 1

Why is it the police have to wait for an accident to charge these drivers. If they'ed only get off there ass and charge all the rest of the idiot bus and mini van drivers.

Charge people before they have committed a crime? With what exactly?

Have you received a Darwin Award lately?

Maybe you didn't realise that you can be arrested for a driving violation without being in an accident, ie driving like an idiot..

Darwin Awards are usually given to dead people. ie people who kill themselves do stupid things which follows Darwin's theory of Evolution that hopefully the low IQ ones will kill themselves before they get to breed.ie awarded post humously

So as Hobiecat can write and therefore is alive, I don't think he can receive a Darwin award,

Explanation of the "Darwin Awards" from Wikipedia as follows: The criterion for the awards states, "In the spirit of Charles Darwin, the Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives. Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival."

"He said that he would also be ordained as monk after the court case is completed to make merit for the deceased victims." Assuming little to no punishment will happen, how about he go out and campaign for highway safety? Enforcement of laws that he so easily evaded? I know becoming a monk is fairly common for those who do horrible things here, but does little to change the climate that ignored those horrible actions until too late. Becoming a monk shouldn't be similar to a half way house....

The only thing you can count on for sure in Thailand is that drivers of busses involved in accidents will claim

"it was not my fault yada yada yada ......................." blink.png

He also insisted that the accident resulted from the brake malfunction.....

Yup, what else.

Why do bus brakes in Thailand work in a different way from the rest of the world? I all other countries I have visited, a brake malfunction results in them locking on.

Charge people before they have committed a crime? With what exactly?

Have you received a Darwin Award lately?

Collect your Darwin award "darrendsd", and then collect your thai apologist award. Only a total fool would try to defend that driver. <deleted>, NO LICENCE, FLED THE SCENE, 15 dead. That is the crime. No Thai person would chime in trying to defend that, but you a thai apologist would.

I would consider the possibility that in addition to the driver not being qualified - assuming this is true, the bus was not properly maintained and the brakes may well have been dodgy. There is no reason at all for driver incompetence and vehicle being badly maintained to be mutually exclusive. In both cases the blame lies with the company - for employing somebody unqualified and for not maintaining their vehicles to the highest standards.

In both cases the CEO should carry the can, being CEO doesn't just mean you get a lot of money - it means you get a lot of money because you are responsible for the failings of the company and are paid a lot of money to ensure that the company does not have failings. At least this is the principle and the foundation of successful enterprise.

My sympathies remain exclusively with the dead kids and their poor parents who have lost the sunlight from their hearts. However I will also say that the driver's soul is now in torment for the rest of his days, and whatever legal punishment he receives will be a picnic compared to the nightmares that will visit him until the end. I would not wish his fate on the lowest earthworm.

My sympathies remain exclusively with the dead kids and their poor parents who have lost the sunlight from their hearts. However I will also say that the driver's soul is now in torment for the rest of his days, and whatever legal punishment he receives will be a picnic compared to the nightmares that will visit him until the end. I would not wish his fate on the lowest earthworm.

i would only wish his fate on the likes of that scumbag who raped his 14 year old daughter and other who commit similar sick depraved acts ......

Interesting the insurance company is paying out on an unlicensed/improperly licensed driver. Seems to comport with what I have posted at other times that it's not necessary to have a drivers license to buy and be covered by auto insurance.

The driver if the bus is completely at fault if there was no mechanical problems. However, I can't help but feel that the school administration and even the teachers that day had some responsibility to check the drivers license. As such unlicensed drivers as not unknown someone should have asked him to produce his license and if he couldn't that should have ended the field trip then and there.

I'm worried sick about my step daughter's next school trip, with a bus starting in the dark. I have no legal right to withdraw her from the trip, as grandparents have the big say, and as so many Thais they don't see any disastrous results coming.

I am even thinking to go to the school before they leave, have a look and a chat with the drivers and see (smell) if they have been drinking and if their eyes show some drug use. A small meausrement, as I'm not a doctor, so my expertise is a general one. But I could also ask the school director to check the drivers' license. I would for sure block the exit of the school in case of finding unsuitable drivers.

I have posted the accident plus horrible photos of the deceased girls on a local FB page and urged any parents to not allow these "leave in the dark" trips. When starting at daylight, even at 6 am, the drivers will have had some sleep and if they drank the night before, most of the alcohol will be gone out of their blood.

Of course this all does not prevent brake failure, reckless driving, speeding, texting, eating by the drivers.

When I realize how many times I have encountered police checks, I wonder why they don't perform that same routine on busy and known transfer routes of buses and trucks during the night. It would surely save a lot of accidents. Have been drinking or using drugs? To the side please, key to the police and the driver can sleep in his vehicle or get someone collect him. It IS possible, but needs some extra manpower that then is not available to check papers and stickers of numerous motorbikes and cars.

As I said: I'm worried sick for next school trip of my daughter and her friends. What to do?

Making 80kph limiters mandatory on all trucks and buses here would slash the death toll overnight. It would even cut fuel bills. But yes, I know that's never going to happen.

Unfortunately speed limiters do not overcome stupidity, it still allows you to drive down-hill at the set speed and in the wrong gear for the conditions. Blaming brake failure on the accident is just an other excuse and doesn't address the problem.

I have driven, heavy truck, busses and coaches at various times during my 54 years of holding a licence - and when driving correctly brakes are only needed to bring the vehicle to rest in the last few meters of stopping or in emergencies. Brakes are not there or designed to be ridden all the way down-hill in lieu of correct driving technique, that's what exhaust brakes (although not seen or heard many on heavy vehicles in Thailand) and gear boxes are for - select the right gear for down-hill and the brakes are hardly needed.

However, I can't help but feel that the school administration and even the teachers that day had some responsibility to check the drivers license. As such unlicensed drivers as not unknown someone should have asked him to produce his license and if he couldn't that should have ended the field trip then and there.

Pathetic, blame the teachers for not checking the drivers licence. Do you ask a bus driver if he has a licence before you get on a bus ? What about the bus company, should they not check before they employed the driver ? <deleted>. you are pathetic.

• Like 1

However, I can't help but feel that the school administration and even the teachers that day had some responsibility to check the drivers license. As such unlicensed drivers as not unknown someone should have asked him to produce his license and if he couldn't that should have ended the field trip then and there.

Pathetic, blame the teachers for not checking the drivers licence. Do you ask a bus driver if he has a licence before you get on a bus ? What about the bus company, should they not check before they employed the driver ? <deleted>. you are pathetic.

Correct, bus company problem and if unlicensed they are responsible for the deaths as much as the driver.

evolution went a little too fast in thailand, as we all know.

my advice: let them drive an OX CART until they are mentally ready for more........................... it's fun, it's safe, it's clean, it's silent.

T.I.T --After five years with the oxcart, maybe allowed to graduate to a bicycle.

Seriously, we all know most drivers here are not fit to be such, especially the commercial ones. But not knowing the laws here, I have no idea what the requirements (if any) are for driving a commercial vehicle, bus van or taxi. Mostly just seems they apply for the job and on the first day or two, if they seem sober, the company sends them off. AS many of the posters over the years have stated, there needs to be strict enforcement of any laws pertaining to these people. Actually, whatever laws they do have should be enforced, but this is Thailand!. And unfortunately, enforcement usually means just more tea money for certain people, not the loss of license (if there is one) nor loss of their job since there is always another one around the corner.

Many drivers do pretty well, considering the amount of traffic, the speed on the motorways (and streets) - I have been in a taxi more than once doing over 120KPH on Pahonyothin Road around 1- 2AM - wondering when the next person going the other way will make a U-Turn in front of us.- considering those facts, there should be many more accidents. but luck (or Buddha ) is with them, and maybe me too, being the passenger.

Edited by snooky