In a pickle with Customs after mail ordering laptop.

My mate, who is staying in Bangkok, bought a laptop off of ebay recently and it was shipped in to Thailand, he's not in business and it is for his own personal use. He paid by Paypal and the item was duly shipped.

Fedex called him up to arrange delivery, but told him that in order to clear Customs they needed him to sign a form to register as an importer. They came along took 3 signed copies of passport and the passport itself.

They have now just phoned back to say that the application was denied as the signatures don't match (form to passport).

And that they need him to do it again. The situation is becoming a little serious because he needs the passport to do a visa run very shortly.

Apart from cautioning him to get the passport back as soon as the courier arrives, I'm at a loss to offer advice on what seems a ludicrous situation. Anyone got any ideas?

Its not a customs thing....its a Thai thing. I have been denied several things over the time here for that reason. You have to sign it exactly the same or else they get all weird about it. Just resign it and get it done. No big deal really.

• Like 2

It's a real thing... When registering with customs, they compare the signature on passport with the signature on docs...

OP, did you sign it same as in your passport?

Not all customs officer's will look closely, but they sometimes you get an anal officer, who may be having a bad day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray
  • Like 1

the thai customs require the original as the courier agent acts just as deliverer, ask the courier guy when he needs it and what time is he going to the customs. if its clearing is done between 10 am to noon give him the passport and get him to sign a custody of pp received from u. next make sure u get the awbl no and his personal mobile number. by the way get ready for import duties and other misc. fees

• Like 1

Everytime that I have had something shipped from the USA using Fedex there has always been a hassle. I think most of this is created by Fedex as they want more money for clearing your goods. It seems like this has just started in the last 2 years. I think that it is safe to say that you get through paying 20% import tax and 7% VAT on the goods and shipping cost along with the expenses you end up paying 100% more for your goods. I have always thought that Fedex and customs work together to extract money from the recipient. DHL is not so bad but they do not deliver to most upcountry places. They ship by freight lines from Bangkok. US Postal service in many cases is the same price as DHL. Very few places will agree to ship by postal service to Thailand. Most places in the USA will not ship to Thailand and using a handler like My US is required.

• Like 1

Everytime that I have had something shipped from the USA using Fedex there has always been a hassle. I think most of this is created by Fedex as they want more money for clearing your goods. It seems like this has just started in the last 2 years. I think that it is safe to say that you get through paying 20% import tax and 7% VAT on the goods and shipping cost along with the expenses you end up paying 100% more for your goods. I have always thought that Fedex and customs work together to extract money from the recipient. DHL is not so bad but they do not deliver to most upcountry places. They ship by freight lines from Bangkok. US Postal service in many cases is the same price as DHL. Very few places will agree to ship by postal service to Thailand. Most places in the USA will not ship to Thailand and using a handler like My US is required.

I dont think he will be paying 20% on a laptop. Lets see if he reposts the costs.

OP nothing to worry about just sign it correctly and ask them to wait until you return...

• Like 1

yankee99, on 05 Mar 2014 - 10:34, said:
DonaldBattles, on 05 Mar 2014 - 02:36, said:

I dont think he will be paying 20% on a laptop. Lets see if he reposts the costs.

OP nothing to worry about just sign it correctly and ask them to wait until you return...

Thanks for all the posts and advice. I passed on the messages as soon as they started rolling in and he was greatly relieved and has asked me to say thanks. I'd advised him not to do it but another friend was so enthusiastic that he went ahead and ordered.

Anyway will no doubt get an update from him today.

I'm going through this process with Fedex as well. I purchased my item through the "eBay global shipping" program. The attraction of this is that they quote and collect the tax up front - so you at least know what you're up for.

Apparently they need the original passport if the value of the goods is over 40,000 baht.

In my case they wanted me to mail my passport to them. Possibly because I live in Chiang Mai, not Bangkok.

After I expressed my reluctance to send my passport, the Fedex guy suggested that I could take some of the documents they emailed me along with my passport to the local customs office here in Chiang Mai to register for "paperless customs". After that they (Fedex) can proceed without the original passport. I should note that I haven't actually received my stuff yet, so I'm not 100% sure that this will work! The customs office did accept the document though...

A bit more here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708064-where-does-one-register-for-paperless-customs

Edited by cocopops

If possible, NEVER use FedEx, UPS, etc.

They use agents in Thailand who try to extract ridiculous "customs clearance" fees.

It's a scam - don't fall for it.

Mail by USPS, Royal Mail etc is fine. I've been here a long time so no from experience.

• Like 1

I had this problem with a parcel containing some Brit products ,mainly three very large marmites ,after loads of hassel and them wanting more and more money i told them to eat it themselves ,that or put it where the monkey puts his nuts .

Surely suggesting to anyone that they actually eat Marmite is cruel and unusual punishment?

If you cant get the real thing,vegemite, then, you just have to make do with the junk.

Haven't there been enough posts here a Thai Visa about having things shipped here using FEDEX, DHL and UPS and having to jump through customs hoops ?

I guess it is like the jet ski scams, always reported but never heeded

They're bored old men, leave them alone.

I bought a Kindle which was sent from USA

Two guys turned up at our front gate to deliver it.

They wouldn't go away

I understood that they wanted me to open the package

I did open it but still they wouldn't go away

Any how we chatted for awhile, me with my limited Thai, they with their limited english.

I thought maybe they need some baht. My wife asked them if we had to pay anything for the delivery and they said no.

Ok I thought....well I'll start up the Kindle.

I did that

Showed them the books I had ordered etc.

Eventually they seemed satisfied and left.

This was about two yeahs ago in Khon Kaen Province.

I still wonder.

Wed 5 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

I won't burden y'all with my FedEx horror story, but it's a doozy! FedEx can and do make things very difficult for you. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops, and then have the nerve to charge you 800-1,200 THB to act as your "agent" when clearly they not acting on your behalf in any way. They charge you high-end duty, and hen they add insult to injury by tacking on a lot of inscrutable little charges that add up to a few hundred baht more. I don't have any problems shipping with them which I do on a regular basis, but I won't use them (or DHL or the other "over night" companies) to receive stuff any more.

Bottom line, although it may see scarier to ship via EMS, it is nearly as good as FedEx in terms of speed, security and tracking. I have never had a problem with deliveries, often I don't get charged any duty at all, and when I do, it seems to be reasonable.

• Like 1

I think I am correct in saying the declared custom value plays a role here. If you import a high value item and declare the full value you go over an annual allowance amount. Over this amount you must register as an import vendor/agent. I use Shipto which enables me to bring in stuff at much lower custom declared values and save plenty on shipping costs (brought in 10 packages in one shipment from the US with DHL weighing 30 pounds for $ 150 shipping and B 1600 tax). Never use EBAY global shipping its a rip off, in most cases the import duty is more than the value of the product, plus its added to the custom value of the imported item which could increase your import tax amount.

• Like 2

I use Shipto which enables me to bring in stuff at much lower custom declared values and save plenty on shipping costs (brought in 10 packages in one shipment from the US with DHL weighing 30 pounds for $ 150 shipping and B 1600 tax).

Do you mean Shipito ?

Thanks!

I think I am correct in saying the declared custom value plays a role here. If you import a high value item and declare the full value you go over an annual allowance amount. Over this amount you must register as an import vendor/agent. I use Shipto which enables me to bring in stuff at much lower custom declared values and save plenty on shipping costs (brought in 10 packages in one shipment from the US with DHL weighing 30 pounds for $ 150 shipping and B 1600 tax). Never use EBAY global shipping its a rip off, in most cases the import duty is more than the value of the product, plus its added to the custom value of the imported item which could increase your import tax amount.

I might be missing something, but I don't think that is actually so. The item I ordered (bookshelf loudspeakers & amp) was priced at $1295, postage roughly $70 and they collected a bit under $260 in tax.

So, not as cheap as paying no tax at all, but better than many of the horror stories you can read on this website. And nowhere near the value of the item itself.

The above assumes that I actually will get the stuff with no further expense. That remains to be seen!

Edited by cocopops

I have never had a problem with the Post If something comes they notify me I pay the amount and I get the package With fed ex and DHL I get jerked around and pay more than the duty because they miscatorize the product and nail me for huge money. This never happens with Thai post

So I assume its just Fed Ex and DHL attempting to screw You and it has happened Several Times If someone wants to ship something I tell them Thai post,

I would assume from this that not having any problems with Thai Post then it is not the government it is FED EX and DHL screwing you

• Like 1

I have to wonder if it depends on where you are in Thailand as to what experience you have with FedEx. I ordered $1000 worth of marine canvas from the US knowing the retail price in Thailand would be $2000. I'm in Ranong and there was zero hassle, zero "extras" I paid 7% duty and 7% VAT. So all in including shipping I saved over $700. This experience suggests that the customs dept is fully in charge of your experience.

Another time via USPS I received a gift of a custom made knife valued at $300. I had to pay another $100 in duties.

I'd generally agree with Don's comments above in particular re FedEx.

That was the mistake that could have been avoided. Simply don't use FedEx for sending more expensive items to Thailand, because you're likely to end up paying for that poor decision via hefty handling / customs / and tax fees. I wouldn't use DHL for the same reasons.

USPS or other alternate carriers are much better, and less costly, choices.

• Like 1

I use Shipto which enables me to bring in stuff at much lower custom declared values and save plenty on shipping costs (brought in 10 packages in one shipment from the US with DHL weighing 30 pounds for $ 150 shipping and B 1600 tax).

Do you mean Shipito ?

Thanks!

Shipito.com is an excellent choice for sending packages to Thailand, especially using their Economy or Priority Airmail options, which usually are half or less the price of USPS Priority Global, and a whole lot less than FedEx and DHL.

And the added bonus is, with their Airmail shipping, the packages are delivered by your local Thai postman, and I've never paid more than a 7 baht small package handling fee on the Thai end for packages shipped that way. With their method, also, you can insure just the successful delivery itself, or also against any damage or items that go missing in transit even if the package itself is still delivered.

I've sent dozens of mostly small packages thru Shipito, and they've never lost one, and I've almost never paid any duty or tax at all.

There is one caveat relating to the OP, however. Recently, Shipito's Airmail carrier stopped accepting ANY package with lithium batteries, such as laptops or cell phones. So, you either have to take out the battery if it's removable and having Shipito send it separately, or have them use a different carrier for lithium battery-containing packages such as USPS.

USPS is more expensive than their Airmail, but USPS will allow lithium batteries. USPS packages also have a greater chance of getting held for some duty and tax by Thai Post at the behest of Customs. But the amounts charged are usually a lot less than what the same package would incur if it went through FedEx or DHL.

even over $1000 usd in regular biz stuff for me sometimes causes problems at customs as they check close if over 1000 usd... and especially if done on a private person shipment... - but yes be prepared to pay 20-30% duty as over 1000 usd and you are not an official importer....hopefully it is worth it and you couldn't buy the amp and speakers here cheaper or ? must be a good system for this money

Do you mean Shipito ?

Thanks!

Shipito.com is an excellent choice for sending packages to Thailand, especially using their Economy or Priority Airmail options, which usually are half or less the price of USPS Priority Global, and a whole lot less than FedEx and DHL.

And the added bonus is, with their Airmail shipping, the packages are delivered by your local Thai postman, and I've never paid more than a 7 baht small package handling fee on the Thai end for packages shipped that way. With their method, also, you can insure just the successful delivery itself, or also against any damage or items that go missing in transit even if the package itself is still delivered.

I've sent dozens of mostly small packages thru Shipito, and they've never lost one, and I've almost never paid any duty or tax at all.

There is one caveat relating to the OP, however. Recently, Shipito's Airmail carrier stopped accepting ANY package with lithium batteries, such as laptops or cell phones. So, you either have to take out the battery if it's removable and having Shipito send it separately, or have them use a different carrier for lithium battery-containing packages such as USPS.

USPS is more expensive than their Airmail, but USPS will allow lithium batteries. USPS packages also have a greater chance of getting held for some duty and tax by Thai Post at the behest of Customs. But the amounts charged are usually a lot less than what the same package would incur if it went through FedEx or DHL.

Hello,

Who is shipto carrier ? They are not millions in the world so it can only be one of the famous ones.

And if post office deliver their parcels the risk to be caught by customs can only be the same as with parcels sent through usps and also delivered by post.

Thank you.