Charter court is to rule on PM's status: Suthep

webfact

Charter court is to rule on PM’s status

000_Hkg9537712-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Court will soon be asked to rule on the status of caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra now that there has been no House of Representatives for more than 30 days making it impossible for the voting of a new prime minister.

People’s Democratic Reform Committee Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban said Tuesday night that he had received letters from a former Supreme Court chief justice and a former Supreme Court chief judge who both suggested that Ms Yingluck’s role as the caretaker prime minister had ended after the passage of the 30-day period since the February 2 election.

One of the judges, Mrs Yindee Watcharapong Torsuwan, said Suthep, maintained that the February 2 election was void and hence the government should also lose its status.

The ex-Supreme Court chief justice contended that Ms Yingluck could not carry on with her duty as the caretaker prime minister continuously until there is a House of Representatives. In such a case, he suggested that Article 7 of the Constitution should be applied in order that an interim prime minister would be nominated by the Senate president.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/charter-court-rule-pms-status/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-05

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another issue due to drag on for ages....

Chalerm blurted out the other day that this administration could run out the full 180 days.....!

I can't follow it at all any more....!! Hope the Charter Court understands

• Like 1

What does article 7 actually say?

"Section 7. Whenever no provision under this Constitution is applicable to any case, it shall be decided in accordance with the constitutional practice in the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of the State."

Now, "the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of the State" is merely the long-winded definition of the Thai constitutional monarchy, so is just one long compound noun defined in section 2.

The phrase 'constitutional practice" is not defined, but we must assume means those sections that define rights and obligations without defining specific actions - and as we are witnessing, there are many such 'black holes' in the document.

So, section 7 says: if the Constitution does not tell you what to do, do whatever you want, so long as it is not prohibited.

The idea that the President of the Senate can select an interim Prime Minister is not written anywhere but is consistent with our simplified definition of section 7. The only tiny problem is that the Constitution explicitly states that a PM must also be an MP.

So perhaps our esteemed chief justice would interpret section 7 as saying: if the Constitution does not tell you what to do, do whatever you want, so long as it is not prohibited.

And remember, this is not a judicial coup; nope, not at all.

BTW I have always said that, given the House was not going to be able to convene, the Senate would eventually select a new Council of Ministers, but how are they going to ignore the requirement of the PM? I'm sure a carefully worded decree can get around anything, but it also has to overcome the decree itself being potentially unconstitutional! Who wrote this crappy constitution?! Don't ask.

Question is, which MPs? Can't be from the Feb 2 election as they haven't been sworn in. So, must be from the previous admin. But haven't they lost their status after 30 days like the PM?

• Like 1

It is quite simple....... The constitutional court has the ultimate say on the interpretation of the constitution.

They are the highest court in the land, and they are its keepers, and how they interpret the constitution, no matter what else... It is binding by law and can not be over-ridden.

No matter how many grey areas there are. They have the only and final say. It is as simple as that.

Remember when the EC went to the C Court and asked for an interpretation on postponing the election? There was no clear provision for it under the articles of the constitution. So they had to make an interpretation. Both the EC and the government may do it on mutual agreement.

This time, they will probably end the caretaker roles and ask the senate to appoint a new PM and although the senate have the right to re-appoint Yingluck, how many of you think they would do such a stupid thing under the current circumstances? I can see a lot of PTP not being re-appointed to caretaker cabinet positions either.

There are no MPs at the moment, they only need a cabinet as ministers to keep the country rolling, this is not a hard task to appoint a new PM and entire cabinet.

My fingers are crossed.

Full agree with you this looks the only sensible solution , how long do you think it would take to appoint a new Pm ?

Edited by StealthEnergiser

"Section 7. Whenever no provision under this Constitution is applicable to any case, it shall be decided in accordance with the constitutional practice in the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of the State."

Now, "the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of the State" is merely the long-winded definition of the Thai constitutional monarchy, so is just one long compound noun defined in section 2.

The phrase 'constitutional practice" is not defined, but we must assume means those sections that define rights and obligations without defining specific actions - and as we are witnessing, there are many such 'black holes' in the document.

So, section 7 says: if the Constitution does not tell you what to do, do whatever you want, so long as it is not prohibited.

The idea that the President of the Senate can select an interim Prime Minister is not written anywhere but is consistent with our simplified definition of section 7. The only tiny problem is that the Constitution explicitly states that a PM must also be an MP.

So perhaps our esteemed chief justice would interpret section 7 as saying: if the Constitution does not tell you what to do, do whatever you want, so long as it is not prohibited.

BTW I have always said that, given the House was not going to be able to convene, the Senate would eventually select a new Council of Ministers, but how are they going to ignore the requirement of the PM? I'm sure a carefully worded decree can get around anything, but it also has to overcome the decree itself being potentially unconstitutional! Who wrote this crappy constitution?! Don't ask.

Question is, which MPs? Can't be from the Feb 2 election as they haven't been sworn in. So, must be from the previous admin. But haven't they lost their status after 30 days like the PM?

They have indeed lost their status.

The council of members only consists of 21 cabinet ministers and 1 prime minister in a caretaker role.

When parliament was dissolved by Yingluck, there was no parliament and so no 'members of parliament' most of those MPs became nothing other than party members. Only the cabinet ministers hold their status as 'caretaker ministers'.

So really they only need to appoint 22 ministers.... Not a biggie.

It is quite simple....... The constitutional court has the ultimate say on the interpretation of the constitution.

They are the highest court in the land, and they are its keepers, and how they interpret the constitution, no matter what else... It is binding by law and can not be over-ridden.

No matter how many grey areas there are. They have the only and final say. It is as simple as that.

Remember when the EC went to the C Court and asked for an interpretation on postponing the election? There was no clear provision for it under the articles of the constitution. So they had to make an interpretation. Both the EC and the government may do it on mutual agreement.

This time, they will probably end the caretaker roles and ask the senate to appoint a new PM and although the senate have the right to re-appoint Yingluck, how many of you think they would do such a stupid thing under the current circumstances? I can see a lot of PTP not being re-appointed to caretaker cabinet positions either.

There are no MPs at the moment, they only need a cabinet as ministers to keep the country rolling, this is not a hard task to appoint a new PM and entire cabinet.

My fingers are crossed.

Full agree with you this looks the only sensible solution , how long do you think it would take to appoint a new Pm ?

I would say that they will make the decision this week, and the senate will appoint the successor(s) by early next week. The PM will possibly be appointed almost immediately by emergency meeting of the senate. The rest of the cabinet probably by next week, like I said earlier. They will likely need to debate the cabinet positions. Maybe they will largely stay the same with the likes of Churapong, Chalerm and a few other ministers who have pushed their neck out too far over the past months, or showed complete negligence in their work.

Edited by PepperMe
  • Like 1

Who voted for this constitution…The majority!!!

smovi57, on 05 Mar 2014 - 08:55, said:

Lets hear what ying Luck says.

Shhhhhhh.......at the moment she is consulting her brother.

It will be a long telephone call, as she will be crying and cursing him for putting her in this mess.

Eventually somebody will write for her an answer in her Facebook.

djjamie, on 05 Mar 2014 - 09:23, said:
focus27, on 05 Mar 2014 - 08:37, said:

As abhisit would say "but was it a free and fair vote"?

• Like 1

"Who wrote this crappy constitution?"

Most of it was written by "the people" in 1997.

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 1

My fingers are crossed.

I would say that they will make the decision this week, and the senate will appoint the successor(s) by early next week. The PM will possibly be appointed almost immediately by emergency meeting of the senate. The rest of the cabinet probably by next week, like I said earlier. They will likely need to debate the cabinet positions. Maybe they will largely stay the same with the likes of Churapong, Chalerm and a few other ministers who have pushed their neck out too far over the past months, or showed complete negligence in their work.

some interesting comments on this page https://www.facebook.com/rajprasong?ref=ts

Given it as a take it or leave it proposal by the coup makers!!!

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

They have indeed lost their status.

The council of members only consists of 21 cabinet ministers and 1 prime minister in a caretaker role.

When parliament was dissolved by Yingluck, there was no parliament and so no 'members of parliament' most of those MPs became nothing other than party members. Only the cabinet ministers hold their status as 'caretaker ministers'.

So really they only need to appoint 22 ministers.... Not a biggie.

Question is are they still receiving their pay check?

According to this mornings newspaper That I am not allowed to quote, The EC states that the government has a time limit to repay the 20 billion baht loan through its rice sales, that date was May 31, and the EC believes the care taker government will still be in power till then!

Cheers

Because the election still isn't complete.

"Who wrote this crappy constitution?"

Most of it was written by "the people" in 1997.

Sent from my phone ...

Yes and it was touched up by the army.

Suthep is seeking to get a clear and precise constitution to answer these questions and put a stop to corruption. As much as can be stopped. This can not be done by a government who is corrupt in the first place.

After such a constitution is in place call for elections. It would be interesting to see who chooses not to run with out the easy access to the government treasury. On the other hand it would make it easier for people to run as vote buying would cease. A big fine to those accepting it and jail to those offering it.

Sounds like a plan to me.

• Like 2

If PTP and Yingluck are thrown-out, what would be the repercussions? Surely the happy and non-happy Rice Farmer/Red Shirts will dispute this, as even the un-happy Rice Farmers have some chance of the rice pay-out? No?

The rice farmers will have a much better chance of being paid via an interim government by order of an emergency ruling from the cons court. The cons court will never sanction the extra 110 billion outstanding borrowing to this barrel of <deleted> of a government.

A neutral government, maybe.

If this happens, then I can see the farmers never voting for PTP ever again (if they exist after this has all blown over).

If this can not happen

I would like to see

3 Debates on Nation TV in Thailand

1) Yingluck Vs Abhisit Vejjajiva 1 on 1

2) Yingluck Vs Abhisit Vejjajiva answer questions by the Thai public

3) a member of each party to stand for new elections with their policies, and 3 selected member of different media to ask the questions

after this an election

But would this open Pandoras Box for both sides on politics