Deaths spark H1N1 flu warning: Thailand

webfact

DISEASE
Deaths spark H1N1 flu warning

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With the seasonal H1N1 flu outbreak having killed six of the 11,513 patients who contracted the disease nationwide from January 1 until March 1, the Disease Control Department has urged special caution for children and the elderly.

Medical treatment should be sought for kids and the elderly if high fever and flu symptoms persist for a week, or call the 1422 hotline for advice, department chief Dr Sopon Mekthon said.

The flu report found that children aged 10-14 were most at risk, followed by those aged 79, while the highest number of patients were found in Lampang, Uttaradit, Phayao, Chiang Mai and Rayong respectively, he added.

He confirmed that Thailand had seen no cases of the more serious strains of H7N9, H1N8 and H5N1.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-06

• Like 2

No they do not have proof readers You should already know this from stories previously read.

Its designed to get you to really think about the news item Give you brain exercise like the 1014. This way you will appreciate the story more

Hahaha.

Is that what it is?

I wonder if the polluted air around Chiangmai and surrounds have helped contribute to these deaths ?

Its always a possibility that toxic particulates breathed in large amounts could compromise the respiratory's ability to defend itself (think cilia mechanisms).

It is alarming that some of the most dangerous diseases of our time have originated in animals:

HIV (monkeys)

Anthrax (cattle)

Ebola virus/Marburg virus (monkeys/marsupials)

SARS (civet cats)

Avian/bird flu like H7N9 etc.

Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (human mad cow disease)

Swine flu H1N1

Malaria

These are all zoonotic diseases that originated in animals but once crossed into humans are highly lethal as our bodies did not have time to evolve our defenses to fight them. Sort of like a blitzkrieg on our immune systems. According to researchers 60% of all human disease and 75% of all emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic, mostly from livestock such as pigs, chickens, cattle, goats and sheep.

13 animal-to-human diseases kill 2.2 million people per year.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

Well it's about F&%$ing time! Man am I ever pissed off. I tried to get this in the media more than a month ago, when 12 people we know off died in Chiang Dao of H1N1. I tried with Bangkok Post, who left me on hold for more than 10 minutes, when I told them what it was about. I tried with the Nation, sending them several emails with my phone number and real name, etc. to confirm it and I tried with TV, but was only able to talk about it in a local CM forum, because of TV rules. I even contacted WHO (World Health Organization). About a week later, the Thai Chiang Mai News, did an article, saying that three people died in Chiang Dao Hospital of H1N1. It was in Thai, so I could not post it on TV. Plus it was a lie, because at least a dozen people had died since then, who had been to Chiang Dao Hospital because of H1N1, but I guess they didn't count all the ones that died in the ambulances, on the way to Chiang Mai, from Chiang Dao Hospital???

Anyways, about 10 days after I tried to contact all the media, our daughter got H1N1, too and almost died on the way to McCormick Hospital. She is fine now and back in school.

Two days ago, another lady, who owns a small coffee shop told me that her daughter also had it, but she could not afford the proper medicine, so she was sick for a long time, but is better now.

If somebody would have listened, maybe this could have been contained earlier. At least 10 of the people who died up here, all came from a very small area in Chiang Dao District (Tunglakong), so maybe that is where it originated?

Because of greed and coverups, more people died. This is sickening! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Hm, with a mortality rate of 0.052% this virus appears to be not more deadly than a common cold. What's the actual objective? Promote vaccination once again to clear the stocks before expiration date? blink.png

They lie about the numbers, in Chiang Dao District alone, at least 13 people died of it, within the last two month, who we know of. Lots of people have been sick from it. I tried to get this information out over a month ago, but was ignored by all media, except for Rimmer, the Global Moderator here, who let me comment about it in a small Chiang Mai forum, where hardly anybody read it. My daughter almost died from it, too. She wasn't breathing anymore when she got to McCormick Hosptial. (she is fine now. We got her in just in time)

• Like 1

Ok, so what do we need to do to protect ourselves? Will a simple flu shot fix this?

For pretty much guaranteed protection there are two shots. One is called Tamiflu and the other one, you have to ask. In Chiang Mai, McCormick Hospital, they have done lots of people, so they know. I think, you have to get them from a Hospital, when we tried to find them in clinics in Pattaya, they all said "only in hospital"

I wonder if the polluted air around Chiangmai and surrounds have helped contribute to these deaths ?

Its always a possibility that toxic particulates breathed in large amounts could compromise the respiratory's ability to defend itself (think cilia mechanisms).

It is alarming that some of the most dangerous diseases of our time have originated in animals:

HIV (monkeys)

Anthrax (cattle)

SARS (civet cats)

Swine flu H1N1

Malaria

These are all zoonotic diseases that originated in animals but once crossed into humans are highly lethal as our bodies did not have time to evolve our defenses to fight them. Sort of like a blitzkrieg on our immune systems. According to researchers 60% of all human disease and 75% of all emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic, mostly from livestock such as pigs, chickens, cattle, goats and sheep.

Have a nice day.

Just a comment about Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (a Prion Disease)... there are four types and only one called 'Variant CJD' is related to acquiring the disease from an animal ... infected cows or sheep. The most frequent form is spontaneous ... The explanations are at the following link below. CJD, Mad Cow Disease, Scrapie(sheep and goats). There is also Kuru disease among cannibals. http://www.helpguide.org/elder/creutzfeldt_jakob.htm

To me a Prion disease is a very scary disease. In the communicable form it is transmitted by a protein filament - not by a DNA or RNA organism such as a bacteria, fungus or virus. And the time from ingestion or other exposure it can take up to ten years or so before symptoms appear. Plus it is 100% fatal.

Also concerning SARS civet cats may well have been the origin but in China at least - SARS was spread by roaches, rats and flies.

• Like 1

It's amazing how quickly information like this gets buried and minimized. One day, selfishness and greed will wipe out a huge part of the population, on this planet.

Personally, I would have believed the Government crap about mostly the old and little children being at risk from H1N1, but after seeing healthy adults die, up here in Chiang Dao and our own healthy, 17 year old daughter almost dying from it, (She is healthy and fit and does sports almost every day) I know the announcement is bulls&*t.

Just in our little district (around 30000 people), we probably had nearly as many people sick from it, as they claim for the whole Country and we had more than 20 people die from it, in the past month.

If you don't believe me, go to McCormick Hospital and the Hospital in Mae Rim, to check their records. People with Money went mostly to McCormick and Chiang Mai Ram and those on the 30 Baht program went to the Hospital in Mae Rim, after Chiang Dao Hospital not being able to help them. Some died in transit.

These are facts. Believe what you want.

We own a restaurant/bar up here, so I have nothing to gain by educating people about the truth. Greedy businesses and Governments have a lot to gain by hiding the truth from the masses. wai2.gif

PS: Soon this information will be buried, off the main page of Thaivisa, so all the greedy business people can relax. Soon it will all be to back to normal. Ignorance is bliss xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.pngangry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif

Edited by kurtgruen

Ok, so what do we need to do to protect ourselves? Will a simple flu shot fix this?

I think the CDC explains this well:

"How well the flu vaccine works (or its ability to prevent flu illness) can range widely from season to season. The vaccines effectiveness also can vary depending on who is being vaccinated. At least two factors play an important role in determining the likelihood that flu vaccine will protect a person from flu illness: 1) characteristics of the person being vaccinated (such as their age and health), and 2) the similarity or "match" between the flu viruses the flu vaccine is designed to protect against and the flu viruses spreading in the community. During years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to circulating viruses, its possible that no benefit from flu vaccination may be observed. During years when there is a good match between the flu vaccine and circulating viruses, its possible to measure substantial benefits from vaccination in terms of preventing flu illness. However, even during years when the vaccine match is very good, the benefits of vaccination will vary across the population, depending on characteristics of the person being vaccinated and even, potentially, which vaccine was used."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

So it seems our best chance to avoid the flu is to:

-Maintain our immune systems ability by keeping ourselves physically fit (e.g. exercising or immersing yourself in ice cold water if you like the extreme way).

-Avoid crowded areas where catching the bug is more likely (BTS, shopping malls etc.)

-Getting vaccinated if you are elderly, risk of weakened immunity e.g. HIV, Diabetes, high-risk profession like vet, animal handler, farmer etc or being the parent of young children as schools are notorious for spreading the flu.

(I got chicken pox when I was in my 30's from my daughter)

-Teach social responsibility. If you are sick, stay home. If you feel you might be coming down with something wear a mask in public!

Edited by smileydude

Well it's about F&%$ing time! ....

Because of greed and coverups, more people died. This is sickening! wai2.gif

National News Bureau of Thailand article about this matter comes today with this title

Public assured no mutant bird flu strain in Thailand

bah.gif

• Like 2

For pretty much guaranteed protection there are two shots. One is called Tamiflu and the other one, you have to ask. In Chiang Mai, McCormick Hospital, they have done lots of people, so they know. I think, you have to get them from a Hospital, when we tried to find them in clinics in Pattaya, they all said "only in hospital"

The second line drug is relenza. ( for symptomatic treatment...not the vaccine). Seek good medical advice ( where possible)

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

HIV (monkeys)

Anthrax (cattle)

SARS (civet cats)

Swine flu H1N1

Malaria

Have a nice day.

Just a comment about Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (a Prion Disease)... there are four types and only one called 'Variant CJD' is related to acquiring the disease from an animal ... infected cows or sheep. The most frequent form is spontaneous ... The explanations are at the following link below. CJD, Mad Cow Disease, Scrapie(sheep and goats). There is also Kuru disease among cannibals. http://www.helpguide.org/elder/creutzfeldt_jakob.htm

To me a Prion disease is a very scary disease. In the communicable form it is transmitted by a protein filament - not by a DNA or RNA organism such as a bacteria, fungus or virus. And the time from ingestion or other exposure it can take up to ten years or so before symptoms appear. Plus it is 100% fatal.

Also concerning SARS civet cats may well have been the origin but in China at least - SARS was spread by roaches, rats and flies.

SARS was spread from human to human.....the initial cases were spread from China to Vietnam and Hong Kong by infected airline passengers and from there across SE asia and to North America. For sure in China and Hong Kong poor sanitation and lack of personal hygene practices exacerbated the problem.

HIV (monkeys)

Anthrax (cattle)

SARS (civet cats)

Swine flu H1N1

Malaria

Have a nice day.

SARS was spread from human to human.....the initial cases were spread from China to Vietnam and Hong Kong by infected airline passengers and from there across SE asia and to North America. For sure in China and Hong Kong poor sanitation and lack of personal hygene practices exacerbated the problem.

SARS can transmit from human to human ... however I suggest you use google or or Bing and search SARS China rats roaches flies...

'Something to think about the next time you make that long overseas flight a few seats away from someone who can't stop sneezing & coughing... Cabin crew must develop incredible immunity (if they survive the first year or so of their employment). Do the surgical masks you see some people wearing actually do much good?

HIV (monkeys)

Anthrax (cattle)

SARS (civet cats)

Swine flu H1N1

Malaria

Have a nice day.

Correct, but the Human to Human transmission was what spread it so far and fast. Not too many roaches, rats and flies make it from HK to Toronto by air!

Also a significant number of cases, and sadly also fatalities, were medical staff in hospitals treating those infected. Except for the human to human transmission it may well have stayed in Southern China......

'Something to think about the next time you make that long overseas flight a few seats away from someone who can't stop sneezing & coughing... Cabin crew must develop incredible immunity (if they survive the first year or so of their employment). Do the surgical masks you see some people wearing actually do much good?

Doctors probably bear the brunt of sneezes and hacking coughs.

I think it is job hazard but mild compared to long-haul truck drivers, lumberjacks and law enforcement/firemen as physical risks usually outweigh others though stress messes with everyone's health.

Face masks like the 3M N95 masks should theoretically work better than surgical masks, which fit more loosely. But most studies have shown no difference in protection in household settings.

Studies suggest that swine flu is spread by large droplets and not by small droplets. All face masks may protect against large droplets; N95 masks may protect against smaller, aerosolized droplets.

Probably best to promote social responsibility and have everyone who thinks they're coming down with the flu to wear them to control transmission.

Edited by smileydude

Moving to a cold climate where they don't have mosquitos and becoming a vegetarian should fix almost all of it.... not that I'm recommending either.... Just saying!

Hm, with a mortality rate of 0.052% this virus appears to be not more deadly than a common cold. What's the actual objective? Promote vaccination once again to clear the stocks before expiration date? blink.png

Well, the problem is that H7N9 is also known to spread between humans now,

and 20% died, 20% got well, and the rest is still seriously ill.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-22364628

If a person have a strain of the flu that spread between humans, and also

have one of the other strains, they can share genes so that strains that do

not spread between humans start to do so.

One of the bird flu researchers from China recommended to take the seasonal

flu vaccine for 2014. Then, if you get the flu, it`s likely to be bird flu, and you can

seek medical attention faster than you would normally do. This is also for not

infecting others...

. In Asia most people you see with masks are suffering from colds and flu's...

ZINC

Human semen has relatively high amounts of zinc. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semen) estimates a bit over 1/2 milligram per dose.

So to protect my lady, how many doses must I administer please?

If your a Centaur she should be fine. ;)

Great..the home remedy Grandma never mentioned: a bath in human semen to protect against the flu. That one will be a winner.