Bangkok street racers to be monitored with electronic anklets

webfact

ELECTRONIC MONITORING
Street racers to be monitored with electronic anklets

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Electronic monitoring (EM) will soon be used to keep track of young offenders who have been given suspended prison terms for misdemeanours, in order to give them a chance to rehabilitate themselves, a senior Bangkok North Municipal Court judge said yesterday.

For adult offenders, EM will be used in drunk-driving cases, while for young offenders it will be used in street-racing cases, said Surajit Sribunma.

Those convicted of such offences will still undergo mandatory public service while wearing the EM devices to prevent them repeating the behaviour that led to their crimes, he added.

Wearing EM devices on their ankles, convicted street racers will be prohibited from going out at night to take part in or watch races - most likely between 10pm and 4am - during a seven-day period.

Drunk drivers will be discouraged from going out at night, to lower the likelihood of them driving home inebriated.

There are 200 EM devices available for use by the Bangkok North Municipal Court, Surajit said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-07

"Street Racers"? Are you serious? Honda Waves and Fino? These aren't motorcycles! We call these scooters back home.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes but have you seen the kind of damage these "scooters' can cause?

google-street-view-crash.jpg

"Street Racers"? Are you serious? Honda Waves and Fino? These aren't motorcycles! We call these scooters back home.

Yes but have you seen the kind of damage these "scooters' can cause?

google-street-view-crash.jpg

I've also seen how much damage they can take. Not meant for high speeds.

Those little scooters are 1 step away from being A moped.Instead of 49cc,they are near 110cc.Not much to em.I think they are

Unstable/ unsafe.Yes I ride them every now and then.I should have my head examined.