In support of Satish Sehgal

webfact

If there is a serious move to root out corruption and to get people following the laws of this country, should it not start at home? With the very people claiming to be against corruption?

Or are all parties looking for selective enforcement?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT a good article. Yes, they might be deporting him because he is a foreigner, but not because he speaks funny, looks different dark skin, blah blah blah blah..... it is because he is a foreigner. It could have easily been Tom Hanks or Brad Pitt, who don't look funny or speak funny.

The government was trying to make a point that foreigners would not be allowed to do what Satish did... fine, just say that.... no need to play it up any more than that....

ANY foreigner would have been made an example of...I am AGAINST the current government,. I'm not sure I disagree that much with what the government did....

Satish was being a <deleted> and asking for it... a long standing member of the community should use his brain and think before doing such a bone headed thing.

• Like 1

Australia deports aliens who protest, spit or curse.

In days gone by that would have been a pre requisite for entry.

Our "unique" ancestry cannot be denied.

And proud, but unfortunately we don't hold the title as far more convicts were deported to the U.S than Australia.

Australia deports aliens who protest, spit or curse.

In days gone by that would have been a pre requisite for entry.

Our "unique" ancestry cannot be denied.

And proud, but unfortunately we don't hold the title as far more convicts were deported to the U.S than Australia.

Hey, but being called Convicts is probably better than being called Septics?

Good win in the Cricket btw

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"It can be argued that Satish Sehgal was in violation of the law."

Enough said.

Guests musts accept their hosts rules, customs and laws.

How about Chalerm Son? Red bul guy? Muu Ham? Violating law here doesn't mean anything as long as you have money and connections sad.png

And that is what Satish Sehgal is counting on...

Oh, and this right here, is The Nation sponsoring Corruption. Its not just money. Its also favours. The Nation is doing a favour, "Yes he kind of broke the rules, but come on, its our guy, so let him go.". Corruption in practice.

Cod Satrusayang: a self description

Cod Satrusayang is a part-time dragon slayer, part-time writer. When he's not off defending fair maidens and tangling with mystical beasts he visits reality (never a permanent stay) where he writes for a living

http://travel.cnn.com/author/cod-satrusayang

There's more

Cod Satrusayang’s family has found a way out of their Thai crisis. They’ve stopped talking about politics.

Until that deal was made, Cod said, most gatherings would end in a fight. Cod’s mother, who comes from a wealthy family, sides with protesters calling for an appointed council to run the country, while his father, from a lower-income family, says elections should decide who governs.........

“It’s actually dividing us more than just on a regional level but in many cases on a family level,” said Cod, a 28-year-old Bangkok-based writer. “There is definitely a fundamental schism within Thai society and it’s not going to be resolved soon. Honestly if my parents can’t even see eye to eye when they’re sitting at a dinner table, I don’t see how the bigger picture works.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-02-04/thai-crisis-splits-families-as-bunker-mentality-deters-stability

So he doesn't know how the big picture works but he'll put his two bahts worth into this. Perhaps , as a foreigner himself, he feels vulnerable.

This guy has served this country all his life, if anyone has the right to criticize this government, it is him.

If he's so against corrpuption, and served Thailand all his life, then he will have been well aware of Sutheps less than perfect past when it comes to Championing a cause against corruption.. ;) You fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows..simple as that;)

• Like 1

" Why are we singling out Sehgal? The answer is, because it is easy and that is what bullies do. "

​This is the perfect summation of a fabulous article. Indeed, it is worse than even that. This man's deportation order was also signed by Charupong who was not only present at the UDD rally that promoted secession, but he made a statement promising his support for the implementation of the UDD's platform, which included secession. For a man like that to be free to sign a deportation order for someone who never advocated for such things shows everything that we ever needed to know about the former Yingluck administration.

" Why are we singling out Sehgal? The answer is, because it is easy and that is what bullies do. "

​This is the perfect summation of a fabulous article. Indeed, it is worse than even that. This man's deportation order was also signed by Charupong who was not only present at the UDD rally that promoted secession, but he made a statement promising his support for the implementation of the UDD's platform, which included secession. For a man like that to be free to sign a deportation order for someone who never advocated for such things shows everything that we ever needed to know about the former Yingluck administration.

Q. Why are we singling Sehgal out?

A. Because he was fool enough to take to the stage set up by an illegal mob in a foreign country.

"It can be argued that Satish Sehgal was in violation of the law."

Enough said.

Guests musts accept their hosts rules, customs and laws.

How about Chalerm Son? Red bul guy? Muu Ham? Violating law here doesn't mean anything as long as you have money and connections sad.png

And THAI....

AND not Indian. There is an unpleasant element of anti-South Asian racism running deeply through Thai society ("If you see a snake and an Indian kill the Khaek first") that Chalerm is seeking to exploit here.

I have no proof, but I strongly suspect that the same ugly racist streak runs in more than a few of the posters on this thread: "Lets see if he's got the nuts to pull this crap in the streets of Pakistan".

No no no no. We all know that Indians are called a perjorative name in Thailand, but they have tossed foreigners out for getting involved. The rules were even posted publically at immigration areas. Foreigners should not get involved. This foolish man thought that because he was a member of RBSC and had a few mates in places, that the term foreigner did not apply to him. Well much as I, a long staying farang was reminded and noticed 1000s of times. I will never be Thai, even if I had got a passport and become one legally. Mr.Satish didn't even become one legally, so he is thrown in pretty much to the same level as a bloke roasting on the beach. He is a foreigner according to the law and he should have shut up. To put it even more clearly, he is "kaek" which rather aptly translates as "visitor" or "guest" or "customer". That is how Thais see him. Not nice, but thats how it is.

You are talking about Thais, who are not to be effected by deportation from Thailand. Has there ever been a situation where a person has been stripped of their legal birth nationality for a crime? Can't think of it off my head in recent times.

You just don't get it. If you commit a crime in your own home country, you are only subject to crimminal or civil prosecution. If you do so as a foreigner, you may be subject to criminal and civil prosecution and potential deportation. As a PR or in British terms a person with ILR, you do not have the right of sanctity of abode, it is subject to you keeping your nose clean. There are hundreds of foreigners deported from your home country every day for all sorts of petty crimes. I would say, protesting to ovethrow a government would get most PR into trouble the world over.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Seeing as you love the guy so much and he's been a bastion of the Thai community, why don't you offer to give up your PR for his and trade places, and take one for the team Scamper me old China ;)

For those who gloat over this guy getting the boot, think of it this way, today a PR of Indian descent is getting thrown out for speaking on a stage, tomorrow some one in the government may no longer want western geriatrics retiring here and no will longer issue those visa's or they decide they want higher quality retirees and increase the financial requirements and force many out the country

Now has he been silly man doing what he has done ? certainly but some the responses on TV are out and out nasty

Seeing as we are living in Buddhist country just remember karma chaps, most of you are here on the whim of an immigration officer

It seems to me at least in this case, has this guy been through proper due process ? I think not.....has be been formally charged with a crime ? Has he been summonsed to a court of law and convicted ? I don't believe so, in another article he stated he hasn't been issued any paperwork

It seems to me there has been a bit of witch hunt in this case

Edited by Soutpeel

You are talking about Thais, who are not to be effected by deportation from Thailand. Has there ever been a situation where a person has been stripped of their legal birth nationality for a crime? Can't think of it off my head in recent times.

You just don't get it. If you commit a crime in your own home country, you are only subject to crimminal or civil prosecution. If you do so as a foreigner, you may be subject to criminal and civil prosecution and potential deportation. As a PR or in British terms a person with ILR, you do not have the right of sanctity of abode, it is subject to you keeping your nose clean. There are hundreds of foreigners deported from your home country every day for all sorts of petty crimes. I would say, protesting to ovethrow a government would get most PR into trouble the world over.

Yes your correct, but in the UK to be convicted of crime one is charged and appears in a court of law, and one needs to be convicted of said charges before being thrown out as far as I can see the Indian guy hasn't seen the inside of a court room to answer any formal charges, so your comparison is not valid in this case

Yes your correct, but in the UK to be convicted of crime one is charged and appears in a court of law, and one needs to be convicted of said charges before being thrown out as far as I can see the Indian guy hasn't seen the inside of a court room to answer any formal charges, so your comparison is not valid in this case

I don't know. But it does appear he hasn't been to court. Maybe under the SOE it isn't needed. However, moaning about the system after you've been clearly warned of the risks is pretty disingenuous. From reading it appears that all that is needed is a vote from the Immigration Commission......He should have dug a little deeper and the problem would be moot

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

For those who gloat over this guy getting the boot, think of it this way, today a PR of Indian descent is getting thrown out for speaking on a stage, tomorrow some one in the government may no longer want western geriatrics retiring here and no will longer issue those visa's or they decide they want higher quality retirees and increase the financial requirements and force many out the country.

There is absolutely no comparison. You are comparing two fundamentally different situations.

He went to a protest knowing full well that foreigners had been warned not to under threat of deportation, he chose to ignore this, and now he must pay the price.

totster :)

• Like 1

For those who gloat over this guy getting the boot, think of it this way, today a PR of Indian descent is getting thrown out for speaking on a stage, tomorrow some one in the government may no longer want western geriatrics retiring here and no will longer issue those visa's or they decide they want higher quality retirees and increase the financial requirements and force many out the country

Now has he been silly man doing what he has done ? certainly but some the responses on TV are out and out nasty

Seeing as we are living in Buddhist country just remember karma chaps, most of you are here on the whim of an immigration officer

It seems to me at least in this case, has this guy been through proper due process ? I think not.....has be been formally charged with a crime ? Has he been summonsed to a court of law and convicted ? I don't believe so, in another article he stated he hasn't been issued any paperwork

Well they can do so, and it wouldn't be perceived as being illegal, nasty or any of the sort. It might be perceived as unfair, but the law is the law.

I can sit and moan, why don't they let me own land, why do they make me report every 90 days, why do they make me bring in money, why must my company have a partner. I would suggest that the greatest chance for these types of things to improve is to encourage more transparency and more democracy. The type of arbitrary expulsion and changes in laws happens under dictatorships and countries with poor democracy. Ironically, the very thing that Mr. Sathish was trying to create.

He should have been front and centre wishing for a more effective democracy to bring light to dodgy dealings, corruption and poor govermnent. But, for some reason, a man of such principle and democracy backed the entirely wrong horse. Maybe this is why he doesn't want to go back to India. It being the worlds largest democracy and all. Possibly he might divert to say, North Korea which might be a lot more in keeping with his desired type of government.

So he broke the law. What law? A law that prohibits people who do not have a Thai passport to voice a (political) opinion? What exactly did Satish Sehgal do wrong? Nobody really knows because the law itself is unclear.

Are we who post here also violating this law by voicing a political opinion? Can we all be deported immediately?

Satish Sehgal has been carefully choosen by Chalerm to maximize the effect of INTIMIDATING the opposition. In this effort he joins the murderers of Trat and Rajaprasong who try to intimidate all and any opposition to voice their opinion.

The murderers of Trat and Rajaprasong kill people, Chalrem destroys lifes.

This is not about Trat, nor about Chalerm, but about a foreigner who not only staged with anti government protesters, but helped to seize Thai properties with protesters.

No one of us could get away with that, now he has to face consequences !

Well they can do so, and it wouldn't be perceived as being illegal, nasty or any of the sort. It might be perceived as unfair, but the law is the law.

I can sit and moan, why don't they let me own land, why do they make me report every 90 days, why do they make me bring in money, why must my company have a partner. I would suggest that the greatest chance for these types of things to improve is to encourage more transparency and more democracy. The type of arbitrary expulsion and changes in laws happens under dictatorships and countries with poor democracy. Ironically, the very thing that Mr. Sathish was trying to create.

He should have been front and centre wishing for a more effective democracy to bring light to dodgy dealings, corruption and poor govermnent. But, for some reason, a man of such principle and democracy backed the entirely wrong horse. Maybe this is why he doesn't want to go back to India. It being the worlds largest democracy and all. Possibly he might divert to say, North Korea which might be a lot more in keeping with his desired type of government.

The law is the law....so in terms of the law and legal due process, a person is charged with a crime, said person appears in a court of law, evidence of said crime is presented to a judge(s) or jury depending on which country your in by a prosecutor and the judge(s) or jury decides ones guilt, once found guilty of said crime, in case of a noncitizen immigration then takes the steps to start deportation proceedings

As stated previously it seems the Indian guy has not been through this process

Further if he actually broken a law wouldn't one expect him to be arrested and placed in custody pending his court case and subsequent deportation if found guilty

Further everyone keeps saying he broke the law, is there actually a law which specifically states being involved in protests will result in deportation or was this a "rule" made up by the government ? Hence the reason the guy hasn't been formally charged with breaking the law

I am referring to a specific law in this case , and not the one about being a threat to national security, as this law can be interpreted in multiple ways

The law is the law....so in terms of the law and legal due process, a person is charged with a crime, said person appears in a court of law, evidence of said crime is presented to a judge(s) or jury depending on which country your in by a prosecutor and the judge(s) or jury decides ones guilt, once found guilty of said crime, in case of a noncitizen immigration then takes the steps to start deportation proceedings

As stated previously it seems the Indian guy has not been through this process

Further if he actually broken a law wouldn't one expect him to be arrested and placed in custody pending his court case and subsequent deportation if found guilty

Further everyone keeps saying he broke the law, is there actually a law which specifically states being involved in protests will result in deportation or was this a "rule" made up by the government ? Hence the reason the guy hasn't been formally charged with breaking the law

I am referring to a specific law in this case , and not the one about being a threat to national security, as this law can be interpreted in multiple ways

It seems that in Thailand it is not a matter for the courts, but a matter for the immigration committee. I found some links just now. From their recommendation, it gets passed to the Prime Minister, who apparently has deferred this right to Chalerm. So, yes, its not done by a court in this case. Customs and Immigration are. I think in most countries, just about ANY immigration officer can refuse you entry because they believe you not to qualify. Immigration officials have an awful lot of power all over the world.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/indians-abroad/thailand-based-indian-businessman-satish-sehgal-may-face-deportation/

A secret ballot was held on the issue of revoking Seghal’s permanent residency status and five members of the committee voted for it while two others opposed it and two more abstained, the media reports said. The committee had decided on February 11 that there was not enough evidence to deport 70-year-old Sehgal, who has lived in Thailand for 65 years but still holds an Indian passport. The committee’s decision has been submitted to Chalerm Yubamrung, director of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) that is overseeing the government’s response to the protests.

If the move is approved by CMPO, Sehgal can approach the court to oppose the decision. However, Seghal said he had not yet received anything in writing or been informed of any allegation of wrongdoing. “I am innocent, I did not do anything wrong. I have not been investigated by police or any officials,” said Sehgal, who has a publishing business. He said he only knew what the media had reported, adding the matter was now being handled by his lawyers.

I quiite like it though. By a vote. All very democratic and fair. lol. Maybe he should drag some protestors over there to campaign against rigged votes and corruption....

• Like 1

Total absolute <deleted> and drivel.

"He doesn't look like us, he has a different shade of skin. He speaks Thai with a funny accent. He doesn't have a Thai-sounding last name. He is not from here."

Pretty sad when the "race card" is used this way.

If this Indian had something to say he could have held a press conference and put his point of view across, which is what business people do, instead of getting on a stage, blowing whistles and making himself a main player in politics that are of no concern to him because in the 50 years he has lived, worked and "contributed to Thai society" he hasn't felt so close to the country to obtain citizenship.

I will write a longer post on this later showing how stupid the article is. Imagine loving in a country for do many years and stillspeaking the language ppoorly.

Many westerners born and bred in their own countries cant speak their own languages properly, the " English teachers" that pop up on TV are perfect examples

Multiple thai citizens cannot articulate properly in Thai either

So based on your remarks one supposes your thai language skills are better ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Hi i was going to address the reasons this guy gives for this indian person being singled out that is <deleted>

Why are we singling out Sehgal?

The answer is, because it is easy and that is what bullies do. Bullies pick on the weakest people in the playground. They don't go for the jocks, they don't go for rugby team. By contrast, Sehgal is an easy target. He doesn't look like us, he has a different shade of skin. He speaks Thai with a funny accent. He doesn't have a Thai-sounding last name. He is not from here. But ask yourself this question: Is Thailand really one homogenous entity of colours, last names, accents and religions?

Just by his last question he has already contridicted himself.

Are thais homogenous? Of course not. There are chinese thais, arab thais, khmer thais, issan thais, central, northern, some are dark some are fair. Of course they aren't homgenous. This guy here has already shown what a klutz he is. The reasons he has given are all false since thais from different regions look and talk differently.

Btw i am curious why did the chinese thais need to change their names to thai names like thaksin for example. This shows willingness to blend in. Also speaking with a funny accent will cause you to stand out. Try speaking like william hung in the US, AUS, UK and you will see you being made fun of.

The fact that he has been singled out by the government is symptomatic of an underlying problem that has been at the root of this conflict: a failure to celebrate differences. Believe it or not, there is an underlying racial overtone to the various conflicts in Thailand. In some cases the differences are being deliberately accentuated by the greedy and powerful, in others they are the result of a historical lack of awareness and of education. But in order to maximise the differences to achieve an aim, there has to be a programme of dehumanisation. This is how racism, sexism, classism and all the other negative "isms" work. We say that "they" are different, not the same as us, and by extension that they should not have the same rights that we do.

The differences are twisted and pushed to meet our ends, so we get "uneducated red buffaloes", or "bloodthirsty Muslim separatists", or "primitive hilltribe people not worthy of citizenship". This is neither new nor unique to Thailand. It is as old as prostitution, but without the side benefits that both parties get from that vice.

Oh look it's back to the old racism shtick again. Is this seghal a citizen of thailand? Why doesn't he speak proper thai despite growing up in thailand i believe. I know an american chinese citizen he wasn't born in the US but he speaks with an american accent. So why doesn't this indian person that has lived in the country for so long speak properly?

Let's go back to the issue. Writer here claims that there are racial overtones to the various conflicts in thailand. Like muslims in the south etc etc BUT somehow tries to bring in these totally seperate issues and somehow try to associate them with this indian alien here supposedly being singled out. Are you serious? He brings in the hill tribes, muslims etc to show case how racist the thai govt is and then tries to use those totally different issues as evidence that the thai govt is racist and that is why this indian here is being attacked. Sounds truly stupid because they are totally different from one another. The muslim issue isn't even about race but more of religion and it's not even about suppressing islam. This is just one example.

So, back to Sehgal. Why is he being singled out? Because it is easy and because it creates the illusion that the government tried to do something about the protests. But instead of deporting a long-time leader of the community, maybe the government should focus on the real roots of this and many other problems in Thai society. Maybe it's high time to recognise that this country is not one homogenous entity that can be governed as such. Maybe it's time we started celebrating and understanding our differences instead of trying to knock one another down because of them. Maybe it's time the playground bully grew up.

Oh yes our differences. Perhaps they should start out by making the speaking of a few languages official rather than just simply thai. Oh yes he would say no that isn't what he means. Also did you all notice he didn't even bring in the fact that seghal isn't a citizen and the rules state no foreigner should protest cos it isn't their concern and if they do they get deported. Those are the rules why didn't he mention them.

Total absolute <deleted> and drivel.

"He doesn't look like us, he has a different shade of skin. He speaks Thai with a funny accent. He doesn't have a Thai-sounding last name. He is not from here."

Pretty sad when the "race card" is used this way.

If this Indian had something to say he could have held a press conference and put his point of view across, which is what business people do, instead of getting on a stage, blowing whistles and making himself a main player in politics that are of no concern to him because in the 50 years he has lived, worked and "contributed to Thai society" he hasn't felt so close to the country to obtain citizenship.

Honestly why does it always seem to be "racism" whenever an indian is involved and he's on the wrong side of the fence? You don't see that with chinese for example. Black people also use racism but that is different cos they really suffer from it.

Truly sick of ppl using these isms for any reason.

I see the TV members are used to being 2nd class citizens in Thailand and accept Charlems behavior. Enjoy always being a guest and never being a citizen. Even if you eventually get Thai citizenship you will always be call the farang, kek, etc. In europe we still suffer racism but at least we try and make it illegal and try and integrate everyone and try to create equality and harmony.

I see the TV members are used to being 2nd class citizens in Thailand and accept Charlems behavior. Enjoy always being a guest and never being a citizen. Even if you eventually get Thai citizenship you will always be call the farang, kek, etc. In europe we still suffer racism but at least we try and make it illegal and try and integrate everyone and try to create equality and harmony.

Just like asian americans are seen in aus, NZ, USA, Europe for example.