Patong police delay action on tourist extortion claims

webfact

Patong police delay action on tourist extortion claims
Phuket Gazette

1_201436181835109_VeYjlfUfqSVYUXPYouTRMi
Col Sakchai, installed as Acting Superintendent of the Patong Police on Tuesday, says the daily operations of the police station will come first. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Patong Police Acting Superintendent Sakchai Limcharoen confirmed today that no immediate action will be taken over claims that officers under his new command stand accused of extorting money from tourists.

The news follows Phuket expats who assist the Patong Police as Region 8 International Volunteers revealing in a public statement yesterday that several of them had resigned over an alleged extortion incident (story here).

“The international volunteers had a problem where a tourist was ordered to pay 20,000 baht more than the original compensation for damage to a room because he asked for assistance from a volunteer,” explained Wal Brown, head co-ordinator of the Royal Thai Police Region 8 Volunteers on the island.

“The tourist was also threatened with a greater fine and jail if he were to talk with the volunteer again.”

However, Col Sakchai today said that he was not ready to tackle the problem.

“It will take time for me to look into the claims, and I am already very busy getting up to speed on the day-to-day operations at the Patong Police Station,” he told the Phuket Gazette this afternoon.

“Right now, My first priority is to manage the internal operations of the officers.”

“After that, I will call the volunteers to meet about their future role in assisting police.”

However, Col Sakchai could not confirm whether or not he was to meet with the volunteers next Thursday, as announced by the volunteers yesterday.

Col Sakchai was installed as Acting Superintendent of the Patong Police – instantly replacing former Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan – early Tuesday morning as an emergency measure to stave off potential violence during a major blockade of Patong by angry tuk-tuk drivers throughout Monday night.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Patong-police-delay-action-on-tourist-extortion-claims-26765.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-07

This needs to make International News - why you ask - simply put to bring attention on to the rorts you can be exposed to as a tourist.

We are all aware of the corruption here in Thailand but a destination that relies on the Tourist Shackle needs to be cleaned up I am appaled to read that the Tuk Tuk drivers are holding the police to ransome.

Think of the long term - Vietnam just next door are overtaking the Thais in education, the garment industry etc - they know where the $ comes from and these clowns the BiB let Tuk Tuk drivers dictate to them - Vietnam would quitely remove the problem and good on them.clap2.gif

• Like 1

“Right now, My first priority is to manage the internal operations of the officers.”

“After that, I will call the volunteers to meet about their future role in assisting police.”

Anywhere else and this statement would lead to him being fired.

Police in Thailand?
I've been here 2+ years. I have seen absolutely no evidence of any police in Thailand.

I have to assume we're referring to the gentlemen in brown that I've never actually seen do anything at all.

Edited by BeforeTigers

Col Sakchai was installed as Acting Superintendent of the Patong Police – instantly replacing former Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan – early Tuesday morning as an emergency measure to stave off potential violence during a major blockade of Patong by angry tuk-tuk drivers throughout Monday night.

This guy is really made for the job, with such achievements in only 2 days on the job.

1st achievement : Ok tuk Tuk drivers, you can go on with your extortion and we promise we will not take any legal action.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708891-phukets-tuk-tuk-siege-now-officially-over/

2nd achievement : Fine officers go on with extorting tourist, you have nothing to worry.

Any bets what tomorrow will bring ?

Edited by JesseFrank

Anywhere else and this statement would lead to him being fired.

Maybe they can't fire him because they already spent the money he paid to get the job

Patong Police Acting Superintendent Sakchai Limcharoen confirmed today that no immediate action will be taken over claims that officers under his new command stand accused of extorting money from tourists.

Not until he gets ........

This?

post-141789-0-50659400-1394178233_thumb.

This needs to make International News - why you ask - simply put to bring attention on to the rorts you can be exposed to as a tourist.

We are all aware of the corruption here in Thailand but a destination that relies on the Tourist Shackle needs to be cleaned up I am appaled to read that the Tuk Tuk drivers are holding the police to ransome.

Think of the long term - Vietnam just next door are overtaking the Thais in education, the garment industry etc - they know where the $ comes from and these clowns the BiB let Tuk Tuk drivers dictate to them - Vietnam would quitely remove the problem and good on them.clap2.gif

I have been to ''Vietnam'' on Vacation, and i was ripped off with the Taxi's there too, even though they had meters, the Taxi driver, refused to put it on, this happened the whole week while there ??

so not the best of starts..

You would think by now that they would realise that Phuket and all its beach towns is hardly a Thai place at all being that the whole place depends on tourists and there money.

Maybe eventually but somehow i doubt it.

I love this place.......pure unique Thainess

Sorry eez, have to disagree with you.

This is "pure uniquie" Phuketness.

This ridiculous sh*ite is not happening anywhere else in Thailand.

This place really is, "The Tuk-Tuk People's Republic of Phuket." smile.png

Are you sure NKM that nowhere else in the Kingdom the bibs aren't paying for their position and not arresting those that contribute to their retirement fund?

I love this place.......pure unique Thainess

Sorry eez, have to disagree with you.

This is "pure uniquie" Phuketness.

This ridiculous sh*ite is not happening anywhere else in Thailand.

This place really is, "The Tuk-Tuk People's Republic of Phuket." smile.png

Are you sure NKM that nowhere else in the Kingdom the bibs aren't paying for their position and not arresting those that contribute to their retirement fund?

I'm quite sure that nowhere else in Thailand the local tuk-tuk drivers have outsed the Police Colonel.

Also, I'm quite sure that nowehere else in Thailand has had mass resignations from their volunteer tourist police, due to the demanding of an EXTRA corrupt payment by the BiB, just because the victim dare speak to the volunteer police.

Then, have the newly installed police chief state in the media he is too busy to investigate these claims of corruption, effectively, stating he will do nothing about it.

However, if you can post some links from other provinces, siting simlar cases, I would be happy to read them. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Apparently the volunteers are back to work and the here mentioned case will be investigated.

"and the here mentioned case will be investigated" - now there's something that actually DOESN'T happen on Phuket - a case being "investigated." smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Really the BIB extorting money and paying for their job promotions, are you sure "Sherlock"???????

What is new, I do not understand why anyone would go to Phuket, the whole place is one big rip-off!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app